By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Blizzard the Best in the industry?

Tagged games:

Azzanation said:

Blizzard, are they the greatest gaming company to exist today? I’ve been a huge fan of Blizzard games for many years. What makes a good company in my eyes are those that can create newer experiences by changing their comfort zones like genres.

Quite the opposite. What Blizzard does best is picking a genre and copying everything that works in it, while cutting out/dumbing down anything that can be a problem to the mass audience. All that while using their IPs to boost the game.

Hearthstone? Instead of having to gather mana/energy every turn (like in Magic TCG or Pokemon TCG), just give one mana every turn to player
WoW? Get whatever worked on Ragnarok Online, Lineage and Everquest and put together. Then keep dumbing down...
HoS? Being underleveled is annoying, having to last hit is just boring. Take those things out and allow exp share within the team.
OW? Get Team Fortress, add a little of MOBA elements and you are read to go.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like all those games. The thing is, Blizzard is not an innovator, they are the opposite from that: they look to the market, identify what works and what doesn't, and keep the first.

Their main ability is to be always in touch with the market, and that is a very good thing.
It is actually a thing that a few companies severely lack (like Nintendo).

@As a developer:
I do agree that their games are always above average (if i ignore Activision). I also never played Skylanders, so can't talk about that.
Their quality is definitely above what i usually expect from EA, Ubisoft and others. And much more polished than Bethesda.

Around the Network

Rockstar, Blizzard, Naughty Dog and Griding Gear Games

Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

Not necessary, I find that with Blizzards track record of making games that exceed their own boundaries on a much higher scale then what ND or Rockstar can do.

Here is a good example, If Rockstar or ND had to make a FPS, MMO, RTS or any other type of game would it be any good let alone best in the industry? I can’t see ND making a successful MMO or see Rockstar make an amazing RTS game. I can however see Blizzard making linear styled action games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted and actually be successful at doing that while giving those games a good run for their money, and while Rockstar are gods at the open world sandbox games, we are forgetting one thing, Blizzard already make an open world sandbox game, it’s called WoW. GTA vs WoW will make a great debate for another thread. And it’s funny how we look at Rockstar as the greatest open world devs, however like my article explains, Blizzard is again up there in the debate.

My point I’m trying to make is that Blizzard is a company that can almost do anything and be top at it. I can’t see those companies you mentioned doing the same. No company is perfect don’t get me wrong me. However Blizzard are proof you don’t need to specialize in something to achieve great things. Much like our beloved Rare back in there day.

WoW is not a open world sandbox as you put it and it's not comparable to GTA in any way. WoW is a MMO first and foremost while GTA is not a MMO but only a open world sandbox where the characters are criminals in modern times. You're trying to compare apples to rice. 

I would like to see if Blizzard could pull off a single player game like GTA or TLOU with virtually no experience at making those kind of games. 

WoW is an Openworld RPG, The MMO is like saying if its SP or MP. GTA is an openworld RPG aswell. I dont know what the difference with Sandbox games because XenoBlade X on WiiU is a Sandbox game and it plays very similar to WoW.

GTA Online is a MMO, even at 16 players max, so its a pretty fair comparison when you look into it alittle more.

M - Massive

M - Multiplayer

O - Online

Quote- I would like to see if Blizzard could pull off a single player game like GTA or TLOU with virtually no experience at making those kind of games. 

^ I wouldnt put it past them.

vkaraujo said:
Azzanation said:

Blizzard, are they the greatest gaming company to exist today? I’ve been a huge fan of Blizzard games for many years. What makes a good company in my eyes are those that can create newer experiences by changing their comfort zones like genres.

Quite the opposite. What Blizzard does best is picking a genre and copying everything that works in it, while cutting out/dumbing down anything that can be a problem to the mass audience. All that while using their IPs to boost the game.

Hearthstone? Instead of having to gather mana/energy every turn (like in Magic TCG or Pokemon TCG), just give one mana every turn to player
WoW? Get whatever worked on Ragnarok Online, Lineage and Everquest and put together. Then keep dumbing down...
HoS? Being underleveled is annoying, having to last hit is just boring. Take those things out and allow exp share within the team.
OW? Get Team Fortress, add a little of MOBA elements and you are read to go.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like all those games. The thing is, Blizzard is not an innovator, they are the opposite from that: they look to the market, identify what works and what doesn't, and keep the first.

Their main ability is to be always in touch with the market, and that is a very good thing.
It is actually a thing that a few companies severely lack (like Nintendo).

one of them for sure

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

WoW is not a open world sandbox as you put it and it's not comparable to GTA in any way. WoW is a MMO first and foremost while GTA is not a MMO but only a open world sandbox where the characters are criminals in modern times. You're trying to compare apples to rice. 

I would like to see if Blizzard could pull off a single player game like GTA or TLOU with virtually no experience at making those kind of games. 

WoW is an Openworld RPG, The MMO is like saying if its SP or MP. GTA is an openworld RPG aswell. I dont know what the difference with Sandbox games because XenoBlade X on WiiU is a Sandbox game and it plays very similar to WoW.

GTA Online is a MMO, even at 16 players max, so its a pretty fair comparison when you look into it alittle more.

M - Massive

M - Multiplayer

O - Online

Quote- I would like to see if Blizzard could pull off a single player game like GTA or TLOU with virtually no experience at making those kind of games. 

^ I wouldnt put it past them.

It's an additional mode to the main game that has a small amount of players in it. I wouldn't call that an MMO. 

I would consider Blizzard a fairly weak publisher in terms of quality. they only consistently release ONE type of good games- MMOs.

WoW killed Warcraft for me, so no.

More seriously,  I'd say they're among the best in the industry (along with the likes of Naughty Dog, who have made 4 pretty different franchises and nailed each of their respective game genre). Blizzard's games are always greatly polished and of quality only a select few matches in the industry.

But I think they've lost a lot of the energy and originality they had during the 90s.

As a fan since Starcraft and Warcraft, and put in over 400 days /played into WoW. I would say that they can make great games, but personally they have been lackluster lately. Much like my fanboyism for Final Fantasy. Most Final Fantasy games are great for me but lately they have been lackluster.

For me Blizzard is my favorite developer... But only because of their older games ironically. :P

That said... World of WarCraft is in need of a complete sequel with an overhaul to everything, they are still milking the same old horse, graphically it's aged badly although artistically it's rather well done. - But Blizzard games are always pretty light on the graphics effects.

StarCraft 2 could have been an eSports powerhouse, but instead it fizzled, it never managed to recapture the same heights as brood war, probably because from a multiplayer perspective it didn't feature allot of the same multiplayer features and depth. For instance, in Brood Wars placing a unit on top of a cliff or hiding them under a tree gave them certain advantages (Units had a high chance to miss etc') which aren't in the newer games. It's the small things that make the difference.
And splitting the game up into 3 parts and adding DLC on top of that probably didn't help things either.

Diablo 3 was a massive disappointment on release, bugs, laggy servers and having the entire game feature around a store for Micro-transactions? Poor move.

Overwatch. - Minimal content, 3 game mods, dozen maps isn't a fully featured game in my eyes.

With that said... WarCraft 2, StarCraft Brood Wars, Diablo 2 are some of my most favorite games ever and I look forward to buying whatever game Blizzard throws out next even if it is only average.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--