By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Blizzard the Best in the industry?

Tagged games:

Azzanation said:
Lawlight said:

You're wrong, in my opinion. The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Blizzard now makes games that appeal to the mass audience but are not very impactful. You can call ND a one trick pony but they can only make one game at a time unlike Blizzard who is as large as 16 Naughty Dog studios. And it seems to me that you never played an Uncharted game and The Last of Us. They are very different games.

This isnt about who makes THE better game for that year, Its about who can make the best games in other genres and be amazing at it. Blizzard by far exceed this where as ND doesnt. TLOU and UC are both linear action adventure games. Dont get confused on whats a new IP and whats a new genre. You saying TLOU is different is correct however you saying there different genres is incorrect. Thats like saying Tomb Raider is in a different genre to UC since thats more inline with TLOU gameplay.

And for the record, Blizzard has far more employees however they also have alot more happening at Blizzard like service maintence teams, massive customer support teams and many other things. Blizzard make a new game in almost the same time as ND, every couple of years (excluding Expansions), its normally the same team that help on all there games. Hence why it takes awhile to make, just like ND.

Quote - The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Tell me when ND make a more successful game then WoW then you might have a point. Even Diablo 3 alone sold more then UC4, TLOU and UC Collection combined. Success can mean alot of things, and now you can see why Blizzard is in another league to ND. There most recent D3 game which was underwhelming to many ecplised NDs best games in terms of success. Thats not even including Blizzards best games.

Yes i have played both UC and TLOU. Moving on.

If most successful means best developer nintendo or rockstar is the best.  You cant compare sales since ND games are only on PlayStation 

Around the Network

Blizzard isnt perfect at all. They know how to make addictive gameplay mechanics. Their priorities are about stable and polished products, and they do not step to revolutionary and risky paths. Blizzard implements into their games mostly verified elements, do not focus on top-notch visuals or on new questionable elements. Thats why their game focuses around gameplay, Id say pretty intuitive gameplay. Breathtaking stories isnt about Blizzard. They have their own approach. They have straight hands and good managers, but they lack of creative persons or willingness to take the risks.

I like Diablo 1 and 2.

I don't like WoW, and RTS games, so no Blizzard isn't the "best" for me.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Azzanation said:
Lawlight said:

You're wrong, in my opinion. The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Blizzard now makes games that appeal to the mass audience but are not very impactful. You can call ND a one trick pony but they can only make one game at a time unlike Blizzard who is as large as 16 Naughty Dog studios. And it seems to me that you never played an Uncharted game and The Last of Us. They are very different games.

This isnt about who makes THE better game for that year, Its about who can make the best games in other genres and be amazing at it. Blizzard by far exceed this where as ND doesnt. TLOU and UC are both linear action adventure games. Dont get confused on whats a new IP and whats a new genre. You saying TLOU is different is correct however you saying there different genres is incorrect. Thats like saying Tomb Raider is in a different genre to UC since thats more inline with TLOU gameplay.

And for the record, Blizzard has far more employees however they also have alot more happening at Blizzard like service maintence teams, massive customer support teams and many other things. Blizzard make a new game in almost the same time as ND, every couple of years (excluding Expansions), its normally the same team that help on all there games. Hence why it takes awhile to make, just like ND.

Quote - The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Tell me when ND make a more successful game then WoW then you might have a point. Even Diablo 3 alone sold more then UC4, TLOU and UC Collection combined. Success can mean alot of things, and now you can see why Blizzard is in another league to ND. There most recent D3 game which was underwhelming to many ecplised NDs best games in terms of success. Thats not even including Blizzards best games.

Blizzard's PC games have the advantages of the Asian market. And how silly is it to compare sales of a game on one platform to a game on 5 different platforms. The Uncharted games average 7-8M in the western world for 1 platform. I'd be shocked if Blizzard can do that.

And sorry to burst your bubble but Diablo 3 came and went and is out of people's minds already. The Last of Us is considered one of the watershed moments in gaming.

And sorry, Blizzard had 4,400 people employed just for customer support and server maintenance?

Lawlight said:
Azzanation said:

Blizzard's PC games have the advantages of the Asian market. And how silly is it to compare sales of a game on one platform to a game on 5 different platforms. The Uncharted games average 7-8M in the western world for 1 platform. I'd be shocked if Blizzard can do that.

And sorry to burst your bubble but Diablo 3 came and went and is out of people's minds already. The Last of Us is considered one of the watershed moments in gaming.

And sorry, Blizzard had 4,400 people employed just for customer support and server maintenance?

If you read my article, Daiblo 3 sold 12 million copies just on the PC platform, that means it has had a much greater success then TLOU which has only sold 7million on PS3. TLOU is considered one of ND's best game, D3 is one of Blizzards mid tier games.

Maybe ND needs to hire more workers if they want to be as good as Blizzard in making games for more then one type of gamer. The size of the company doesnt normally lead to quality either. EA has been one of the biggest Devs/Pubs in years and now compare them to Blizzard and look at the quality difference.

I am no longer continuing this debate. Its going off topic. This isnt about ND, sorry to break your heart. Go write a thread about how good ND is if you really want, i am not stopping you.

Around the Network

To me Blizz has become a bit of a VW of videogames. They make advanced, polished and very well thought-out products that seem to not have obvious flaws, but then again - they aren't anything truely great or inspirational. They haven't made a Beetle since like forever. New products come, they are very correct, VERY CONSERVATIVE - when was the last time Blizz actually pushed the industry forward? Their games are always a disappointment when it comes to graphics, they tend to be light on content as well. So yeah, they are the VW (sometimes a diesel catastrophy happens, like with D3... ). They make products that work, you won't get disappointed when you get one, but then again - they really haven't been anything to write home about for years. VW makes good cars, but you can't honestly say, they are the best car manufacturer. There are many better companies, even if they don't exactly offer the whole range of cars that VW offers.

Also, Azzanation, I like it how you're comparing Blizz vs. ND, but not against Nintendo

To tell the truth, StarCraft is the only Blizz game I'm intersted in at all. All of their other games either aren't the best in the genre or are actually quite meh for me. I'll maybe take a look at Overwatch, but I can't say it's certain. I'd like to get a demo first to see what it's all about.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Azzanation said:
Lawlight said:

If you read my article, Daiblo 3 sold 12 million copies just on the PC platform, that means it has had a much greater success then TLOU which has only sold 7million on PS3. TLOU is considered one of ND's best game, D3 is one of Blizzards mid tier games.

Maybe ND needs to hire more workers if they want to be as good as Blizzard in making games for more then one type of gamer. The size of the company doesnt normally lead to quality either. EA has been one of the biggest Devs/Pubs in years and now compare them to Blizzard and look at the quality difference.

I am no longer continuing this debate. Its going off topic. This isnt about ND, sorry to break your heart. Go write a thread about how good ND is if you really want, i am not stopping you.

Why is it going off topic? You asked us if blizzard is the best developer and some of us think there are better. Whats wrong with that? Is it because you dont like people disagreeing that blizzard is the best and you started comparing sales to prove blizzard is the best?

Scisca said:
To me Blizz has become a bit of a VW of videogames. They make advanced, polished and very well thought-out products that seem to not have obvious flaws, but then again - they aren't anything truely great or inspirational. They haven't made a Beetle since like forever. New products come, they are very correct, VERY CONSERVATIVE - when was the last time Blizz actually pushed the industry forward? Their games are always a disappointment when it comes to graphics, they tend to be light on content as well. So yeah, they are the VW (sometimes a diesel catastrophy happens, like with D3... ). They make products that work, you won't get disappointed when you get one, but then again - they really haven't been anything to write home about for years. VW makes good cars, but you can't honestly say, they are the best car manufacturer. There are many better companies, even if they don't exactly offer the whole range of cars that VW offers.

Also, Azzanation, I like it how you're comparing Blizz vs. ND, but not against Nintendo

To tell the truth, StarCraft is the only Blizz game I'm intersted in at all. All of their other games either aren't the best in the genre or are actually quite meh for me. I'll maybe take a look at Overwatch, but I can't say it's certain. I'd like to get a demo first to see what it's all about.

If your paying attention, you will know i am not trying to compare Blizzard to Naughty Dog, thats an unfair comparison. I did mention Nintendo and Rare in my Main Post so im sure you have read it.

Just to add, this isnt about tastes, this is about crowning genres as your own which is what Blizzard has been doing for years. Yes genres, not genre.

Pinkie_pie said:
Azzanation said:

Why is it going off topic? You asked us if blizzard is the best developer and some of us think there are better. Whats wrong with that? Is it because you dont like people disagreeing that blizzard is the best and you started comparing sales to prove blizzard is the best?

Convo has ended, I suggest you reread my article and make sure to read the PLEASE READ part so you have a better understanding on what this thread is about.

Thank you.

Naughty Dog is better the uncharted games, last of us and crash team racing are one of the best games I ever played.

Yeah, Blizzard is definitely up there among the most successful.

For me they're mostly great because of their legacy and not for their current output (last 10 years).

Historically Valve, Sega, Rockstar North, Capcom and Game Freak are imo some of the best in the industry as well but personally I wouldn't rate them that high when speaking current top developers.

Besides, who's the "best" developer in the industry is kinda subjective.

I've never been into MMOs or TCGs and regarding RTS I was always more of a Westwood fan (Dune, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, etc).

Though Diablo 2 is my favorite ARPG/hack and slash ever so they actually catered more to my tastes in the early 2000s where I think they had more success in creating great atmospheres in their games. Nowadays, gameplay is still rock solid (Diablo 3, Overwatch, Hearthstone, etc) but I don't think the atmosphere is as rich.

The current (last 10 years) top 15 developers for me:

1. Bethesda Game Studios

2. Naughty Dog (might be number 1 again with TLOU2 but UC4 disappointed me a bit)

3. Nintendo EAD

4. Ubisoft Montreal

5. FromSoftware

6. Firaxis Games

7. Blizzard North

8. Rockstar North

9. Square Enix

10. CD Projekt RED

11. Gearbox Software

12. Bioware

13. PlatinumGames

14. Crystal Dynamics