By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Blizzard the Best in the industry?

Tagged games:

Ka-pi96 said:
Azzanation said:

Well good news and bad news. On Battle.net theres an option to download some of there classic games like Warcraft 3, Starcraft and Diablo 2 etc. Bad news is i didnt see the classic Warcraft 1 or 2 yet. I believe there coming soon.

Are they free?

No, theres a one time buy for digital. They go for roughly $20 depending on the title. 

Around the Network
vivster said:
Scisca said:

Nintendo.

Casual racing (MK!), 2D platforming (multiple titles - Mario, DK, etc.), 3D platforming (Mario Galaxy!), casual sports - they've invented it. Pretty much all party games except for Dancing ones are belong to Ninty. Zelda dominates its genre, so do Pokemons. N dominates the turn strategy genre with their 3DS titles. The list is quite long Professor Layton dominates the puzzle genre, Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing have to dominate something

Well yeah, it's easy to dominate dead or unpopular sub genres. And I fail to understand what genres Zelda is supposed to dominate. Zelda like games?

Same could be said about Blizzard. When was the last time a classic RTS game other than SC2 hit the market? How many big subscription-based MMOs are there out there? Still, if a game sells millions or tens of milions, how can you call that genre dead or unpopular?

Yeah. There were quite a few games that tried to follow or develop the Zelda formula, some better, some worse, but still - Zelda remained on top. It's not Nintendo's fault that they've created and mastered so many genres. Also - it's easier to makes a game great, when you focus totally on it, cause you release a game a year. Nintendo releases dozens of games per year and still keeps the high level. That has to be factored in.

@Hynad - true, I thought Nintendo bought Level 5, but they are independent. And they actually have a pretty awesome track record in their own right.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

the best on their genre.

WoW for me is crap, I hate faction system, i hate quest chains, i hate instanced pvp and "end game" stuff. WoW died for me after Lich King -> Cataclysm and never came back. I'm an old school MMO player who prefer open world based MMOs like Lineage/Everquest/Tibia/UO(old days).

Overwatch is overrated, Ureal tournament still is the best arena shooter out there.

I don't like RTS games, therefore I can't comment about Starcraft.

DOTA 2 is a much better moba than HOTS.

The only game from Blizzard I enjoy 100% is Diablo but D3 is not exactly the Diablo 2 sequel I wanted.

Azzanation said:
BraLoD said:
One of the them.
Rockstar, Blizzard and Naughty Dog, when they develop a game it's very likely going to be great.

I agree to a point, any company can make a great game if they spend the time and resources into it. Rockstar and Naughty Dog dont go past there strenghts. For example what was Rockstars last game that wasnt a openworld sandbox game? What was ND's last game that didnt go past the linear Action/Adventure?

Im talking on the fronts of creating master pieces that is not based in the same genre. Like my honorable mentions to Nintendo and Rare and lets add Sega back in there day to that list. 

Blizzard has 4,700 employees. Naughty Dog has 300. Still the latter has excelled in many genres including racing, platformers and third person shooters and has created 4 AAA IPs.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Azzanation said:

I agree to a point, any company can make a great game if they spend the time and resources into it. Rockstar and Naughty Dog dont go past there strenghts. For example what was Rockstars last game that wasnt a openworld sandbox game? What was ND's last game that didnt go past the linear Action/Adventure?

Im talking on the fronts of creating master pieces that is not based in the same genre. Like my honorable mentions to Nintendo and Rare and lets add Sega back in there day to that list. 

Blizzard has 4,700 employees. Naughty Dog has 300. Still the latter has excelled in many genres including racing, platformers and third person shooters and has created 4 AAA IPs.

We need to stop comparing ND to Blizzard, its not a fair comparison. Blizzard is in another league compared to ND. Sure ND make a great game every once in a while, so does Retro, so does Rockstar so does ID, and ND are far from the best apart from Linear Action experiences. They can make good games when they go outside there comfort zone, Blizzard make the best games outside there comfort zone, major difference. Overwatch is another pure example of this. Like I stated before to someone else in this thread. It’s easy to make a good game in another genre, but it’s not easy being the best in another genre. Each genre Blizzard has entered, those games are up there with the best of them. ND own the linear movie genre respectfully but 1 genre compared to a company who owns 5? It’s not a comparison. Same goes for Rockstar and ID and many other great devs. Blizzard isn’t a 1 trick pony company.

Azzanation said:
Lawlight said:

We need to stop comparing ND to Blizzard, its not a fair comparison. Blizzard is in another league compared to ND. Sure ND make a great game every once in a while, so does Retro, so does Rockstar so does ID, and ND are far from the best apart from Linear Action experiences. They can make good games when they go outside there comfort zone, Blizzard make the best games outside there comfort zone, major difference. Overwatch is another pure example of this. Like I stated before to someone else in this thread. It’s easy to make a good game in another genre, but it’s not easy being the best in another genre. Each genre Blizzard has entered, those games are up there with the best of them. ND own the linear movie genre respectfully but 1 genre compared to a company who owns 5? It’s not a comparison. Same goes for Rockstar and ID and many other great devs. Blizzard isn’t a 1 trick pony company.

You're wrong, in my opinion. The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Blizzard now makes games that appeal to the mass audience but are not very impactful. You can call ND a one trick pony but they can only make one game at a time unlike Blizzard who is as large as 16 Naughty Dog studios. And it seems to me that you never played an Uncharted game and The Last of Us. They are very different games.

Azzanation said:
Lawlight said:

You keep saying the best but best is obviously subjective. Many have stated they dont believe their titles to be the best in the respective catagories you are saying they are the best at. Meta is another can of worms if thats what your whole theory is based upon then thats not even worth countering. Now is it better to have several different titles maybe top 10-20 of their respective genres or focus and hone on one and perhaps have the best games at those genres. I think alot of what they produce is games that dont have mass appeal of say fps (feel the need to clarify this. How many rts games release each year? Mmos? Then compare that with action adventures, open worlds, rpgs... lots more watered down genres). Thus less games means less competition and perhaps less difficulty to achieve?

I think they are a fine group (dont play their games) but i think your drinking a bit to much of the coolaid on some of the games being top of the genres. I havent played overwatch but i have watched it played and seen reviews it is not halo ce, modern warfare 4, battlefield 3 fps level and those are just in fps i personally prefer and in not a fps connoisseur.

Ps. Love the naughty dog hate. Very funny read.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Lawlight said:
Azzanation said:

You're wrong, in my opinion. The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Blizzard now makes games that appeal to the mass audience but are not very impactful. You can call ND a one trick pony but they can only make one game at a time unlike Blizzard who is as large as 16 Naughty Dog studios. And it seems to me that you never played an Uncharted game and The Last of Us. They are very different games.

This isnt about who makes THE better game for that year, Its about who can make the best games in other genres and be amazing at it. Blizzard by far exceed this where as ND doesnt. TLOU and UC are both linear action adventure games. Dont get confused on whats a new IP and whats a new genre. You saying TLOU is different is correct however you saying there different genres is incorrect. Thats like saying Tomb Raider is in a different genre to UC since thats more inline with TLOU gameplay.

And for the record, Blizzard has far more employees however they also have alot more happening at Blizzard like service maintence teams, massive customer support teams and many other things. Blizzard make a new game in almost the same time as ND, every couple of years (excluding Expansions), its normally the same team that help on all there games. Hence why it takes awhile to make, just like ND.

Quote - The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Tell me when ND make a more successful game then WoW then you might have a point. Even Diablo 3 alone sold more then UC4, TLOU and UC Collection combined. Success can mean alot of things, and now you can see why Blizzard is in another league to ND. There most recent D3 game which was underwhelming to many ecplised NDs best games in terms of success. Thats not even including Blizzards best games.

Yes i have played both UC and TLOU. Moving on.

Azzanation said:
Lawlight said:

This isnt about who makes THE better game for that year, Its about who can make the best games in other genres and be amazing at it. Blizzard by far exceed this where as ND doesnt. TLOU and UC are both linear action adventure games. Dont get confused on whats a new IP and whats a new genre. You saying TLOU is different is correct however you saying there different genres is incorrect. Thats like saying Tomb Raider is in a different genre to UC since thats more inline with TLOU gameplay.

And for the record, Blizzard has far more employees however they also have alot more happening at Blizzard like service maintence teams, massive customer support teams and many other things. Blizzard make a new game in almost the same time as ND, every couple of years (excluding Expansions), its normally the same team that help on all there games. Hence why it takes awhile to make, just like ND.

Quote - The Last of Us by far exceeds anything Blizzard has done in the past 15 years.

Tell me when ND make a more successful game then WoW then you might have a point. Even Diablo 3 alone sold more then UC4, TLOU and UC Collection combined. Success can mean alot of things, and now you can see why Blizzard is in another league to ND. There most recent D3 game which was underwhelming to many ecplised NDs best games in terms of success. Thats not even including Blizzards best games.

Yes i have played both UC and TLOU. Moving on.

How much of a user base are they selling to compared to naughty dog? This isnt even getting into steam and pc sales that go down.

Also you dont have a lot individual studios out there jumping in and out of genres so its not a fair to knock them. Its not always an ability thing which you are coming off as saying. Then there is whether or not they have the backing or the ideas that took them in such a direction. This is like saying pixar isnt one of the best film companies because they dont make live action movies or nolan because he isnt making animated films. I would also love to know how big their dev teams actual size is because thats going to put them in more of a publisher size as opposed to a studio size.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!