By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is having sex with drunk people rape?

Barkley said:
Teeqoz said:

A contract signed while one or both parties were drunk is in most cases not binding. Why can't the same principle apply to consent, which after all is sort of a similar thing?

Well until the law says that people that are drunk cannot give consent then it's not rape

If it is rape then sex while drunk should be illegal.

You can't change your mind on consent after the act.

There are plenty of countries which the law states that the intoxicated are unable to give consent 

Having sex while drunk should be illegal?  That would criminalize the sexually assaulted because of their inability to consent.  That doesn't make any sense.

You may not be able to change your mind on consent after the fact---but you can certainly realize you never gave it in the first place.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Teeqoz said:

A contract signed while one or both parties were drunk is in most cases not binding. Why can't the same principle apply to consent, which after all is sort of a similar thing?

Well until the law says that people that are drunk cannot give consent then it's not rape, even if it was a law does everyone have to take a breathalizer test when giving consent.

Unlike a contract sex doesn't occur over a period of time, consent is given for that particular moment only, you can cancel a contract if drunk fine, but sex has already happened, and it shouldn't be the other persons fault that the other person said they could do something and then regretted it later. There's taking advantage of someone and then there's rape, but if someone explicitly gives consent, it is consent. 

If it is rape then sex while drunk should be illegal.

You can't change your mind on consent after the act.

The law varies from place to place. Somewhere people can't give consent while they are drunk, other places they can (legally). Clearly this thread isn't about what is defined as rape by law, but what should and shouldn't be.

You don't have to take a breathalizer test for people to tell if you are drunk, and certainly not for other people to know if you have been drinking (which in a social context where drinking often takes place, you'd almost certainly know if the other person had been drinking).

And what I'm saying is that consent given while drunk isn't valid from the start. The signature in a legal contract where one of the parties were drunk is also invalid from the start. However you have to get the contract officially void afterwards. For sex, the consent given by a drunk person isn't valid either, so you can't act on that consent. A drunk person can't consent, just like a drunk person can't sign a valid signature for a binding contract.

This isn't about changing your mind on consent. This is about the consent not being valid to begin with, so it's irrelevant that the drunk person agreed to sex.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I don't drink at all myself (alcohol obviously)

heh, it's funny that you had to point that out

Funny in ways, sad in others, feel at times the internet is turning into that bottle of bleach which has to include the warning of "do not drink (this bottle of bleach) you fucking idiot"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive