By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U lost out on a lot more than just Zelda

Darwinianevolution said:
ktay95 said:

Pokemon Stadium had the mini games though which were the best part, hell Stadium 1 & 2s miningames alone are better than Mario Party 10

How many mini-game compilation does the WiiU really need? Nintendoland, Wii Sports U, Mario Party 10, Wario Ware...

Just one that's worth playing. At least MP2 is available, better then anything you listed above

Around the Network

3D mario world is a real mario

Yerm said:
maybe i should clarify my point about the pokemon games. the N64 got the stadium games and the gamecube got colosseum and gale of darkness. even the Wii had battle revolution which was something.

and Wii U has Pokken Tournament

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It has a 3d Mario, Mario party and pokken.... Just because you don't like those 3 games that doesn't mean that they don't exist

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I really wish people would stop using terms like "real" Mario and just say "traditional".

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
I really wish people would stop using terms like "real" Mario and just say "traditional".

I think "traditional" is a better word than "real."

Mr.GameCrazy said:
JWeinCom said:

I think "traditional" is a better word than "real."

When you use the term real it inevitably becomes a no true scotsman fallacy.  Like, Kirby wasn't able to absorb abilities in Dream Land.  When he could in Adventure, it totally changed the game.  So, is adventure not a true Kirby game?

Nintendo didn't do the bare minimum with the Wii U library. I still haven't decided on continuing supporting them since they treat their customers this badly.

Mario and Pokemon are the two points where I think a bit of a gray area exists. Pokken Tournament was a spin off, but so has technically every non-handheld Pokemon game.

Even if 3D World wasn't what people were expecting to exclusively act as Mario for Wii U, it's still a Mario game with 3D platforming. It's a step in the right direction, though by making bite sized levels instead of full sized functional, dynamic worlds like other 3D Mario titles, it probably helped keep development costs down and development time shorter. Instead of having 100 people collaborate on a world at a time, they could give 100 people tools and assets and ask them to create functional levels with an end goal. It fit the necessities of the Wii U: faster and less expensive development. A more traditional 3D Mario would have been great, but financially irresponsible and too time consuming.

You can see the faster and cheaper development process in a lot of the main IP Wii U games, really. Splatoon got lucky that the staggered content release model actually worked out instead of dooming the game, and I'm sure Nintendo realizes that. They couldn't afford to hold the game back for three more months of development time though. As a new IP, they needed to get it out while the release schedule was relatively bone dry. That did the trick though. It got people to try the game because there was nothing else new to play, and it caught fire, half finished product or not. Otherwise though, you see Mario Party, that poor excuse for Animal Crossing anything, Pokken Tournament, Star Fox, Zelda remasters, and all of it is low effort or lower cost for varying reasons.

There are very few titles on the Wii U, seriously few, that reflect Nintendo having a comfortable amount of time to really develop games at their pace. I give them some kudos for trying as hard as they did to support the Wii U until this year where they just sorta threw in the towel. Even they must have realized that you can't use a bucket to save a sinking ship pretty early on though.

KLXVER said:
spurgeonryan said:
Agree.

Too bad.

The NX will have to bring it for me to care.

Says the guy with 200 WiiU games...

There are more than 10 Wii U games?