By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are we still using discs instead of cartridges?

What should we use based on expenses?

Cartridges 201 52.48%

Discs 182 47.52%

Total:383

Well because of the higher cost. Also cartridges (you probably mean SD as "proprietary cartridges" ala nes/snes/n64 are a scam) don´t offer any advantages compared to BD aside of being smaller as nowadays Games are being installed to the HDD, which is faster than SD cards.

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
Around the Network

The price. That's about it. Solid state is the future or gaming consoles and PC. It just is. I had no idea what SSDs were until I looked them up and bought a passport from WD Elements. Even though cartridges are more expensive the console cost immediately goes down in terms of cost and size because there would be no blu-ray or optical disc drive nearly eliminating the moving parts in the console. Carts are ironically the future.

Ljink96 said:
The price. That's about it. Solid state is the future or gaming consoles and PC. It just is. I had no idea what SSDs were until I looked them up and bought a passport from WD Elements. Even though cartridges are more expensive the console cost immediately goes down in terms of cost and size because there would be no blu-ray or optical disc drive nearly eliminating the moving parts in the console. Carts are ironically the future.

Not just even in terms of gaming but just the whole PC experience is a different one if you have an SSD over an old magnetic drive, in the same time it took me before to get into windows I can now be flying to a dungeon in WoW from a cold start, tis nuts and especially with how cheap SSDs are becoming, I always recommend them to any PC user asking about how to make their system faster for any tasks.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Dulfite said:
JustcallmeRiff said:
I'm guessing anyone who would promote cartridge games again has never had the opportunity to buy a new game off of store shelves in cartridge form. I wonder if they've ever had the privilege to blow into a cartridge to get it to work.

Haven't had to blow into a cartridge since hte N64 days. The DS/3ds ones you don't have to do that.

Funny thing is you never had to blow in them, or inside the console's cart tray. It didn't help the game to work at all. The game would have eventually worked, whether you'd blow or not.

A PS4 Bluray drive cost Sony $28 back in 2013. It's probably cheaper now. It is very low power, so it won't affect the rest of the system (power supply, cooling, etc). Since Sony and Microsoft both have a vested interest in Bluray, it makes sense for them to include a drive in their consoles.

Blurays cost less than $2 (probably closer to $1). A 64 GB flash cart costs about $3 (based on what I could find through Google). As a publisher, I would much rather have the extra $1 to $2 for every copy that I sell by using optical media.

Since all games install to the local HDD now anyway, there isn't a big difference between load times (and most games hide the load times during cut scenes).

And personally, since I buy most of my games digitally now, I don't really care either way.

PS4 Bluray Hardware Cost Source
http://press.ihs.com/press-release/design-supply-chain-media/sony-nears-breakeven-point-playstation-4-hardware-costs

Around the Network

A 32-64gb sd card/usbstickstill cost a lot more than a disc which is just pressed out of oil.
Its the same reason why we dont get manuals anymore. Todays gaming companies are cheap as fu**, they measure the cost of a game by the digital price where they make 100% profit. Even if it only would cost 5€ more than the disc version it still would be too much for them just like a manual is too much for them.

Because digital is cheaper and more superior in every way.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ganoncrotch said:
if they go down the cartridge path they need to do one thing, Make sure everyone thinks of Solid State when it comes to the type of memory, the most technically dim witted person knows the term Solid State and they associate it with fast games with no loading and futuristic technology, if they don't drill it into peoples heads that Carts are solid state and a great thing in terms of play ability then after the reveal of the NX people will just be thinking of those FF7 posters claiming that to put the game on the N64 would cost $2500 rather than thinking of things like No Loading times, no texture pop in rubbish, no mandatory installs etc.

I didn't...

Yeah but ... I can put it in terms for you to understand!

Solid State drives

Magnetic Drive

Basically think of how much eating you can do with that big juicy SSD inside your PC! Every Polar Bears dream!

Ironically SSD's are almost always going to be smaller in capacity than standard HDD's but still I hope the joke wasn't damaged by this slight mistake of mine

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Because internal storage with immensely increased speed and digital only titles will be the norm after discs and there's no sense in switching to a format that would be both costly to produce and need heavy modification as opposed to a disc that already holds up to 200GB, not to mention the tandem production/distribution with movies that still makes discs useful outside of gaming and causes production costs to sink further?
I believe that's why no one uses cartridges.

Simple, carts are significantly more expensive to produce.

Carts are superior, but storage capacity and price are the issue.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)