By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS4Neo + XBScorpio ... Is NX Screwed?

Yeah at this point anything below 1.84FLOPZ of the PS4 at $299 and above would be disappointing for the NX.

These (controlled?) leaks are only good for MS and Sony tho, they start the marketing buzz before the products are even announced and get people talking about them while the only signal we have of Nintendo still being in the console business is a vague twitter post saying "NX launches March 2017!". Between PSVR, Neo, slim consoles, price cuts and Xbox Scorpio the next 18 months is an awful time to launch a new console for Nintendo.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
bowserthedog said:

I still believe NX will be x86 Polaris.  And likely more then 2.5 terraflops. 

Even that honestly is way behind the Neo and far behind the Scorpio. Would've been a good fit if there was no Neo/Scorpio. 

Though Emily Rogers is saying it's not even that (something Nvidia Pascal/Parker based?). 

Right but with new consoles coming out every other year the really high end machines will never have a chance to be fully taken advantage of like this old days when new consoles only came out every 5 or 6 years.  It's becoming like mobile.  The target is always moving now and I don't think there will much much difference except resolution and some slight graphical enhancements.  Plus the ps4 og will serve as an achor holding graphics back for the next 3 to 4 years as it will still be the target system.

Nintendo was already in trouble. These iterative consoles from Sony and MS may worsen said trouble for them, but really, if the old model were to still be followed, the new Sony and MS systems would have been released not too long after the "NX" anyways, and you can bet both Sony and MS would have more info out on their forthcoming systems around the NX launch.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Soundwave said:
bowserthedog said:

I still believe NX will be x86 Polaris.  And likely more then 2.5 terraflops. 

Even that honestly is way behind the Neo and far behind the Scorpio. Would've been a good fit if there was no Neo/Scorpio. 

Though Emily Rogers is saying it's not even that (something Nvidia Pascal/Parker based?). 

But ya. If Emily is right the NX will be an exclusive box and likely sell for 199.99 and sell like hot cakes IMO.  I'd rather Nintendo go the more competitive route even though I think it will mean fewer sales because I think it's better for the long term.

COKTOE said:
Nintendo was already in trouble. These iterative may worsen said trouble for them, but really, if the old model were to still be followed, the new Sony and MS systems would have been released not too long after the "NX" anyways, and you can bet both Sony and MS would have more info out on their forthcoming systems around the NX launch.

Well I think if you told me all this 8 months ago ... PS4 Neo would be a surprise. XB Scorpio not so much, but Sony, the market leader also making an iterative console and something that's a fairly large jump to 4 TFLOP. 

Dunno. I wonder if Nintendo saw that coming or are feeling a little blindsighted right now. 

Around the Network

Blackberry. Sidekick. iPhone. No.

spemanig said:
Blackberry. Sidekick. iPhone. No.

Nintendo is not Apple. Not even close, not even in the same zip code. 

If anyone is Blackberry, it'd be Nintendo.

Soundwave said:

No, Nintendo is Apple in this scenario.

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

No, Nintendo is Apple in this scenario.

No one is Apple. I wish people would just stop with this analogy, there is no Apple of anything, Apple is Apple, they are a unique situation.

If Nintendo was even 1/10th of Apple the Wii U and 3DS would be selling far, far better (or probably never would've been made in the first place). 

Even Apple is largely just coasting off what Steven Jobs set into motion 10+ years ago, they succeed now because of their iconic fashion-brand status (particularily with fashion concious women) and extremely high luxury pricing. Nintendo is nothing like that. 

Soundwave said:

No one is Apple. I wish people would just stop with this analogy, there is no Apple of anything, Apple is Apple, they are a unique situation.

If Nintendo was even 1/10th of Apple the Wii U and 3DS would be selling far, far better (or probably never would've been made in the first place). 

Even Apple is largely just coasting off what Steven Jobs set into motion 10+ years ago, they succeed now because of their iconic fashion-brand status (particularily with fashion concious women) and extremely high end pricing. They are not a "toy/kids" brand association that Nintendo has. 

Apple wasn't always post-iPhone Apple. Nintendo is pre-iPhone Apple right now. When NX comes out, they'll be post-iPhone Apple.

Mixed with Disney. And they'll coast off of that for 10+ years, just like Apple.