By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Cost of living in Oregon rises $3/hour.... In 2016 alone.

homer said:
Move to Tennessee. 3 story, 4 bedroom, 2 full bath, for only 800 a month. Center of town and low crime as well. Maybe all those people who left 150 years ago will move back to the south.

Well people leaving the north and going south is already happening.

Over here there is an exodus of California's population going to other parts of the west.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Left wing state vs right wing. It makes a difference.

Cost of living ain't that bad here in Arizona either and were growing faster than Oregon.

What are you talking about?  Arizona and Texas are both Republican states.

I think you misread what I said.

AZ are TX are both red states and its no coincidence our cost of living is lower.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
sethnintendo said:

What are you talking about?  Arizona and Texas are both Republican states.

AZ are TX are both red states and its no coincidence our cost of living is lower.

Texas is an anomaly and practically its own country. I don't think it's fair to compare them to anyone else really. I do think they are a great state however and have also contemplated a move there. Montana and Texas both would benefit me well given my particular field of work

Feels bad that such a big city has pretty cheap apartments compared to the small cities in Iowa.

With a higher population apartment prices tend to go up right?

I wonder what it is for Ontario, Canada. Looks like they only did American states.

Around the Network

Hey I'm in Portland Oregon! XD its weird to have a thread about my area o.o

aLkaLiNE said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Texas is an anomaly and practically its own country. I don't think it's fair to compare them to anyone else really. I do think they are a great state however and have also contemplated a move there. Montana and Texas both would benefit me well given my particular field of work

Well red states generally have a lower cost of living.

Recently Completed

aLkaLiNE said:

http://katu.com/news/local/report-hourly-wage-needed-to-afford-2-bedroom-apartment-in-ore-rises-by-3-in-2016

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The hourly wage needed to comfortably afford a 2-bedroom apartment rose by $3 in the past year, according to a report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition. 

In last year's report, Oregonians would have to make $16. 61 per hour to afford a 2-bedroom apartment while working a 40-hour week, 52 weeks per year, without paying more than 30 percent of income on housing. 

This year, that number jumped up to $19.38 per hour. With the set $9.25 per hour minimum wage, you would have to work 84 hours to afford a 2-bedroom unit at market value which is $1,008.

The report goes on to say that many low income Oregonians are facing a housing cost burden, made even worse by a deficit of rental units. 

In 2015, Oregon ranked 25th overall for highest rent. This year's report landed us in the 18th spot. 

Washington ranked 10th this year, where you need to make $23.13 per hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment. California ranked 3rd, with a wage of $28.59 per hour.

Thoughts? I will say this, we have an unusually high amount of residents mooching off welfare programs with some crazy high number like one third of people using food stamps. But, we also have a legal weed industry that is BOOMING and the amount of taxes collected on that will be billions annually (Just became legal last year). The sad part is this is not even the worst nationally, not by a long shot. If you don't have two forms of income, yikes. I still love my state regardless.

What!!!

I live in Washington and the rent is not that high, I think it depends the area because it cost you between 750 to 1100 around here, I live in a house and I pay 715 for 3 bedroom. 

Is nice to have neighbors :)

Xbox live: kyokusanagiii    Watching: Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1)

aLkaLiNE said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Yes, we rock and roll.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

kyokusanagi said:
aLkaLiNE said:

http://katu.com/news/local/report-hourly-wage-needed-to-afford-2-bedroom-apartment-in-ore-rises-by-3-in-2016

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The hourly wage needed to comfortably afford a 2-bedroom apartment rose by $3 in the past year, according to a report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition. 

In last year's report, Oregonians would have to make $16. 61 per hour to afford a 2-bedroom apartment while working a 40-hour week, 52 weeks per year, without paying more than 30 percent of income on housing. 

This year, that number jumped up to $19.38 per hour. With the set $9.25 per hour minimum wage, you would have to work 84 hours to afford a 2-bedroom unit at market value which is $1,008.

The report goes on to say that many low income Oregonians are facing a housing cost burden, made even worse by a deficit of rental units. 

In 2015, Oregon ranked 25th overall for highest rent. This year's report landed us in the 18th spot. 

Washington ranked 10th this year, where you need to make $23.13 per hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment. California ranked 3rd, with a wage of $28.59 per hour.

Thoughts? I will say this, we have an unusually high amount of residents mooching off welfare programs with some crazy high number like one third of people using food stamps. But, we also have a legal weed industry that is BOOMING and the amount of taxes collected on that will be billions annually (Just became legal last year). The sad part is this is not even the worst nationally, not by a long shot. If you don't have two forms of income, yikes. I still love my state regardless.

What!!!

I live in Washington and the rent is not that high, I think it depends the area because it cost you between 750 to 1100 around here, I live in a house and I pay 715 for 3 bedroom. 

Is nice to have neighbors :)

The research I've done, and I have absolutely looked into this as Washington is a relative to Oregon, does indeed suggest that WA, very specifically Seattle is more expensive than The housing we can afford down here. There are exceptions, absolutely, I have a friend living in my very city that spends around $800/month for a small house but this is not even remotely representive of the overall market. Go on Craigslist and you will see that housing is even more inflated up North. I find that housing is about cheaper in Pyuallup and surrounding areas.