By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How Should Robot "Racism" Be Handled?

If robots will be like that cute girl in Ex Machina then I really see people fighting for or against the rights of robots.

If robots will talk like a real human but look like a toaster then I think people won't really care too much about robot "racism"

Around the Network

Interesting thread. 10/10

Bam!! "Quake of Quality".

WolfpackN64 said:
It doesn't depend if the robot looks like us. What I think is important is if a robot or a computer can "think" independently. As soon as a machine is capable of thought as an independent Artificial Intelligence, it's not a machine anymore.

Animals have independant thoughts too, and some are smarter than some low IQ humans.

But some countries still hunt and eat whales. Dolphines still get caught in nets.

Not sure if independant thought proccess will mean we ll automatically just treat them right.

Also I really hope we dont allow total independent thinking, Id like there to be restrictions (three laws of robotics by asimov).

this needs to happend:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

I'm onto you, damn synth

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

First, we have to reach a point were Siri doesn't fuck up understanding you. Because a car passes by.

Around the Network

Until robots really achieve strong AI (general intelligence that can be applied to anything and is self-improving), which some people say is very near, we don't really need to discuss it. Until then, it's just reiterating the luddites argument from 200 years ago.

JRPGfan said:
WolfpackN64 said:
It doesn't depend if the robot looks like us. What I think is important is if a robot or a computer can "think" independently. As soon as a machine is capable of thought as an independent Artificial Intelligence, it's not a machine anymore.

Animals have independant thoughts too, and some are smarter than some low IQ humans.

But some countries still hunt and eat whales. Dolphines still get caught in nets.

Not sure if independant thought proccess will mean we ll automatically just treat them right.

Also I really hope we dont allow total independent thinking, Id like there to be restrictions (three laws of robotics by asimov).

this needs to happend:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Ah, good old Asimov's law. Unfortunatly, once we can see as a robot or computer as truly having independant thought, the "machine" will be able to think outside these laws and it might even be seen as a form of mental slavery.

I know what you mean with animals, I'm vegetarian for a reason ;)

I actually don't mind AI and I feel comfortable with what we have so far, though I would also really love to see how far AI could go in terms of looking and behaving like a human.

I do hope we don't end up like the Animatrix Second renaissance though, because the way humans feared and treated AI in that short movie was what led to mankind's own enslavement to the machines.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JRPGfan said:

Lets wait until we have real sentient robots walking around on their own, liveing around us before we start worrying about that stuff?

Its a issue that ll first kick in when we develope a true A.I.
Even then, there will be people that question if its really "alive" and deserveing of same rights.

On on the side of humans btw :p

if they look like this:

And act well enough, its gonna be hard to really hate them though.

Btw if your "thinking" about this stuff you should probably play Detroit when it comes out.

Bet you it toys with your emotions and before its done you ll be on the side of the robots :)

If they look like this they'll be creepy as fuck!

Signature goes here!

Read the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

It offers a great plot that revolves around the impact robots can have on us

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.