By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Polygon Source Info in OP - Kotaku: Xbox Slim This Year, More Powerful Xbox One In 2017, Future Titles to Release on XB/PC, Iterative boxes from now on

JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:

I actually think this XBox 2 has been in development longer than Neo.

It put Sony in a weird spot, where they obviously don't want this gen to end so early, whereas MS has no such qualms.

Sony slapped together Neo quickly by merely doubling the CUs on the PS4 GPU.

If anything it wouldn't surprise me if Neo is the product being rushed to market because Sony does not want to make a PS5 so soon but they caught wind of XB2. MS seems to view the upgraded XBox as more of a successor and a large scale change to their entire hardware business (upgradable consoles, Win10 cross platform, etc.), so it will be a large change to their hardware business, not just a "XBox 1.5" as Phil Spencer mentioned. 

Thats not how people are seeing it now though.

People are refering to it as the Xbox One-ii (the one-two) (whats between a one and a two? 1.5).

Also their saying the reason Sony didnt do a slim is because AMD doesnt have older cpu & gpu designs at 16nm FinFETs.

They only have newer cpu & gpu designs for that proccess node.

Thats why Sony went for a PS4 Neo, because AMD went "that would be stupid and cost alot" "why dont you just use these designs we already have?"

So sony just slapped together a newer CPU & GPU (its still x86 & GCN) so there wont be compatability issues.

If Sonys PS4neo is 4.2 Tflops vs 5.3 Tflops of the Xbox One-ii, then that close enough in performance that most people probably wont be wowed by it.

Thats only a 26% differnce (the differnce between PS4 & Xbox One is about 40%).

That 1 year lead is gonna feel like along time.

agreed on most of it, but again, we have nothing to go on in terms of TFLOP performance on both consoles so it's pointless to be doing these calculations. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the eSRAM debacle, so if they adopt the GDDR5 like Sony did, that will mean a change in memory management compared to the current console (using DDR 3 + eSRAM), so I'm not sure how easy it would be to play the current games on the new console. In all honesty I'm thinking they will have pretty similar specs this time around.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
JRPGfan said:

agreed on most of it, but again, we have nothing to go on in terms of TFLOP performance on both consoles so it's pointless to be doing these calculations. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the eSRAM debacle, so if they adopt the GDDR5 like Sony did, that will mean a change in memory management compared to the current console (using DDR 3 + eSRAM), so I'm not sure how easy it would be to play the current games on the new console. In all honesty I'm thinking they will have pretty similar specs this time around.

I dont think they can make the next Xbox One-ii, without eSRAM.

It would probably break compatability with the older Xbox One games, or force them to jump through alot of hoops, to get games running on both.

I actually think its one of the smarter things Sony did when they designed the PS4.

They went with 1 pool of memory, its much much easier to code for, it ll scale well with time, makeing it really cheap in the long run.

It ll allow use of HSA compute methodes you cant do unless you have 1 shared memory pool.

They can either stick with GDDR5, and just find faster clocked ram, or go with something new like GDDR5X.

Meanwhile the design choices of the original Xbox One, are still gonna impact this next box (if their forced to use eSRAM again).

JRPGfan said:
setsunatenshi said:

I dont think they can make the next Xbox One-ii, without eSRAM.

It would probably break compatability with the older Xbox One games, or force them to jump through alot of hoops, to get games running on both.

I actually think its one of the smarter things Sony did when they designed the PS4.

They went with 1 pool of memory, its much much easier to code for, it ll scale well with time, makeing it really cheap in the long run.

It ll allow use of HSA compute methodes you cant do unless you have 1 shared memory pool.

They can either stick with GDDR5, and just find faster clocked ram, or go with something new like GDDR5X.

Meanwhile the design choices of the original Xbox One, are still gonna impact this next box (if their forced to use eSRAM again).

yeah, it's my #1 question mark on this whole project. Many might not remember nowadays, but the main reason why the Xbox 1 was underpowered compared to the PS4 was exclusively due to the need for eSRAM. The amount of CU had to be lowered in order to have space in the die for the eSRAM which in the end brought the performance difference to around 40%/50% compared to the PS4.

now, I confess I'm not 100% sure on what the impact of changing eSRAM to GDDR5 will be. there are 2 options here

1- go for GDDR5 and (maybe) impact the compatibility with the older titles, basically separating their audience between new and old hardware, but actually have performance parity (maybe advantage) with the PS4 Neo

2- keep the eSRAM on the APU and scratch the idea of the 6TFLOPS people are spreading around, they'd be back behind the PS4 in terms of performance, as well as unable to lower the cost by much.

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

I was going to buy the slim, but not if there releasing a 6tf console next year.

Its going to be funny when gamers start saying graphics dont matter if these rumours are true lol

Just as funny as those that will flip flop and say that they do. ;)

In any case, I seriously doubt the 6TF rumor, at this point. However, with E3 coming (and Gamescom not too far after), we'll nknow more soon enough.

If the rumours are true, and the Scorpio is more powerful then the Neo, then this is going to cause a mess, a funny mess. VG might be a very quiet place. I smell alot of gamers contridicting themselves.

Glad i stuck with PC gaming to be honest. Upgrading hardware was one of the many excuses console gamers used to not venture into the PC market. I wonder what they think now.

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

If the rumours are true, and the Scorpio is more powerful then the Neo, then this is going to cause a mess, a funny mess. VG might be a very quiet place. I smell alot of gamers contridicting themselves.

Glad i stuck with PC gaming to be honest. Upgrading hardware was one of the many excuses console gamers used to not venture into the PC market. I wonder what they think now.

As long as the PS4 remains ahead, the majority of the silence will continue from the Xbox's extreme fanatics. Sony came in 2nd place (depending on who you believe) last gen and its fans were more vocal then ever before.

In terms of the sales debate yes, in terms of the graphic debate no. Many choose the PS4 becuase it was a more powerful system, it makes for an interesting situation.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

In terms of the sales debate yes, in terms of the graphic debate no. Many choose the PS4 becuase it was a more powerful system, it makes for an interesting situation.

Eh, I think you'll see that the arguments will merely shift, but the volume will hardly change. There's just that many more fans of Sony. Beyond that, it will also mean that those arguing against the "graphics" talk today will do a complete about face. Like I said, it's funny, and ironic, no matter what side it comes from.

Not necessary, last gen was equal between the two systems, this gen, most 360 owners switched to PS4 and not only that, PS4 sold better because of the hardware advantage.

If Xbox take back there crown of better visuals then all hell will break loose. Both Sony and MS have the same market, those that game on PS or Xbox are the same buyers as last gen. trying to win over that audience is the key. This Gen Sony has done well in getting people to cross to PS. XB2 might make afew early adopters upset since I would be pissed if I changed to a system believing I choose the better hardware only to realise that I have the weakest.

Again it’s why I recommend PC gaming over console gaming. Steam and Battle.net are much better value than guessing where these consoles are going to be in afew years’ time.

sony is in a really bad Position now
the ps4k is just a minor upgrade for the ps4 and will be crused by the xb scorpio
but the can't chance the ps4 neo because it's to late a
they also can't bring a ps5 just one year after the neo.
consumer would be pissed like hell

CGI-Quality said:

Never mind.

Ha, you read my mind!

Late 2017 might be too late if Neo comes out this year. Though the gap might be long enough for people to consider moving to it if its powerful enough.

A slim version of the XBO from the report sounds like a TV streaming box, I hope not, the original plan for XBO was as a TV set top box and its a pointless market to go after. I hope its just a slim XBO with BR drive.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

Not necessary, last gen was equal between the two systems, this gen, most 360 owners switched to PS4 and not only that, PS4 sold better because of the hardware advantage.

If Xbox take back there crown of better visuals then all hell will break loose. Both Sony and MS have the same market, those that game on PS or Xbox are the same buyers as last gen. trying to win over that audience is the key. This Gen Sony has done well in getting people to cross to PS. XB2 might make afew early adopters upset since I would be pissed if I changed to a system believing I choose the better hardware only to realise that I have the weakest.

Again it’s why I recommend PC gaming over console gaming. Steam and Battle.net are much better value than guessing where these consoles are going to be in afew years’ time.

All hell won't break loose. The argument will shift, as it always does. Nothing will change and extreme fanatics will remain extreme fanatics. Rinse and repeat.

And, as stated before, it wasn't just because of a hardware advantage as to why the PS4 is ahead. The PlayStation brand is just much, MUCH bigger than the Xbox. Regardless of power.

I believe the issue with the power advantage lied in the fact that the 2 perceived advantages of the previous generated had shifted, Xbox had better performance in multiplats (even if marginally better) and a much better controler. Both these advantages dissipated coming to this generation, adding to the already much more varied lineup of games PS always had as well as the brand power behind it. Add to it an initial price advantage and here we are now.

I do think that the Neo specs are not set in stone when it comes to processor and I suspect that if the new Xbox will have a performance advantage, Sony might go from Jaguar to something better and negate that advantage. We will have to wait and see