By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next generation graphics - Do the majority of people really care?

Majority, I would say, no. If the majority did care, the Wii would be a non-entity, cause the graphics so far have been all last gen.

Around the Network

Looks like it will be SD signal rather than HD signal.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Quantum-Tarantino said:
akuma587 said:
when all TV channels have to emit in an HD signal in 2009. Although that can be bypassed by buying an analog converter, HD penetration will increase as a result of the change.

It is DIGITAL that needs to be broadcast, not HD, and an Analog converter will not help, as no analog signal will be there to convert.

Actually there is a converter you can buy for when the signal become digital to put it on a standard TV as we have today.

Graphics are a nice perk but I wouldn't buy a game based on that alone for sure.

Good graphics and great gameplay are both very important to me, but I would rather a good looking game that plays great than the other way around. My opinion of the Wii is that they knew they were gambling with the Wii so they didn't push the graphics envelope. If Nintendo knew then what they know now about demand for the Wii, I think they would have considered a little better GPU and CPU. If they had done so, I'd already have bought one, but there just isn't anything that compelling just yet. I am so thoroughly disappointed in the Wii's graphics capability that I have not bought one even though there are already a handful of games now or on the near term horizon I'd like to play.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

In the U.S. I thought I had heard of the converters being subsidized for poorer families making it less likely to see a huge leap after any type of pass over. Also just seems to me that its still kind of a taste thing to a degree since my old dell monitor can technically display in 720p but was a bit of a requirement for games when you sat so close you could notice the smaller details. For the most part I just don't think most people care, I mean I can speak from personal experience of seeing dvd's played on the PS3 in 480p on a 42" HDTV and bluerays on the same set that there is very little difference in quality I mean yes if you focus you can pick out a few sharpness issues if you look for them but the thing is on games and in movies I'm usually not looking for things like this and unless I do they usually just pass over me without me ever caring if it was in 720p 1080i or 480p. Anyways graphics have never really been a big concern for me overall I mean bought a NES because it had games I wanted to play bought a PS1 because it had games I wanted to play and bought an Xbox for games, yeah a game like Ninja Gaiden can look great but its not the selling point to me personally. I mean really haven't been let down in games I considered worth playing since Mario 64.

souixan said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:
akuma587 said:
when all TV channels have to emit in an HD signal in 2009. Although that can be bypassed by buying an analog converter, HD penetration will increase as a result of the change.

It is DIGITAL that needs to be broadcast, not HD, and an Analog converter will not help, as no analog signal will be there to convert.

Actually there is a converter you can buy for when the signal become digital to put it on a standard TV as we have today.

Yes, and those are in use RIGHT NOW, HOWEVER, this is not an ANALOG converter, as ANALOG signals will be shut off, and there will be nothing to convert.

We will be using Digital Set top Boxes.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Does anyone here believe that the games last generation were better than those released during, say the Genesis/SNES generation? Did anyone who was playing games then feel like they're having more fun now? I bet the answer is "no." If so, then that shows you what graphics are worth. If graphics were a particularly relevant portion of the fun factor, we would literally be able to say: "I am having much more fun with my video games now" every time a new generation of systems is released. Is that the case?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Quantum-Tarantino said:
souixan said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:
akuma587 said:

Yes, and those are in use RIGHT NOW, HOWEVER, this is not an ANALOG converter, as ANALOG signals will be shut off, and there will be nothing to convert.

We will be using Digital Set top Boxes.

I can't believe people use antennas and stuff still. We just use our cable box since about 20 years ago....

The majority of people own standard definition televisions so for them it probably doesn't matter as much as it does for people with HD tvs. Chances are an owner of an HD who's into videogames would likely want to have either a PS3 or Xbox 360 just to see what his tv is capable of. Also anyone into computer games is likely also into graphics because it's just the way computer games are, constantly getting better looking and raising the bar. Computer gaming also tends to be more expensive and higher end so those people likely take graphics very seriously.