By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - May 16th - 22nd 2016

Boutros said:

The PS4 is still ahead of the PS3 and up YoY so the market is definitely not shrinking for Playstation consoles.

The overall market is and if the overall market is not as healthy, that does mean it can show bigger trend continuing. Again, I don't find anything below 20k for the market leader of the week/month/year, to be a great. Blame it on the 3DS sucking, Vita sucking, or Wii U sucking to keep the market up, I don't care. You could also blame it on the past 2 or 3 market leaders for doing great.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Pavolink said:

Around same week last gen:

Week Ending May 02 2009

Platform Weekly (change) Total
DS 55,190 (+27%) 26,440,886
PSP 49,722 (+23%) 12,179,309
PS3 21,492 (-4%) 3,182,654
Wii 20,794 (+8%) 8,018,082
X360 7,848 (+28%) 1,048,766

Killzone 2 (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Shooter
16,069 58,729 2

It is below PS3, all the other current hardware doing poorly and it has bigger latest release. That's not bad (as the other devices) but by any means is not great.

(One/PS4 release holiday 2013 - Wii/PS3 release holiday 2006)

Lol, you are comparing this week to 2009 golden week to make this week look worse than it is. Here's the actual same week last gen:

DS 37,253 (-6%) 26,576,584
PSP 28,018 (-5%) 12,279,820
Wii 15,177 (+8%) 8,069,594
PS3 10,116 (-4%) 3,220,186
X360 4,370 (+18%) 1,062,024

So the PS4 is higher than any home console in the same week last gen.

Wow by all accounts the ps4 is absolutely beasting!! Next week won't be bad either so that will be may which is notoriously bad for sales wrapped up with a pretty good ps4 month.  

June and July should be steady before the ps4 goes into beast mode again for the last few months of the year.  I said it last year and I'll say it again.  

2016 - year of the ps4

Teeqoz said:
Pavolink said:

Around same week last gen:

Week Ending May 02 2009

Platform Weekly (change) Total
DS 55,190 (+27%) 26,440,886
PSP 49,722 (+23%) 12,179,309
PS3 21,492 (-4%) 3,182,654
Wii 20,794 (+8%) 8,018,082
X360 7,848 (+28%) 1,048,766

Killzone 2 (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Shooter
16,069 58,729 2

It is below PS3, all the other current hardware doing poorly and it has bigger latest release. That's not bad (as the other devices) but by any means is not great.

(One/PS4 release holiday 2013 - Wii/PS3 release holiday 2006)

Lol, you are comparing this week to 2009 golden week to make this week look worse than it is. Here's the actual same week last gen:

DS 37,253 (-6%) 26,576,584
PSP 28,018 (-5%) 12,279,820
Wii 15,177 (+8%) 8,069,594
PS3 10,116 (-4%) 3,220,186
X360 4,370 (+18%) 1,062,024

So the PS4 is higher than any home console in the same week last gen.

So, in 2009 was a week later? I believe it was around the same date.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Acevil said:
Boutros said:

The PS4 is still ahead of the PS3 and up YoY so the market is definitely not shrinking for Playstation consoles.

The overall market is and if the overall market is not as healthy, that does mean it can show bigger trend continuing. Again, I don't find anything below 20k for the market leader of the week/month/year, to be a great. Blame it on the 3DS sucking, Vita sucking, or Wii U sucking to keep the market up, I don't care. You could also blame it on the past 2 or 3 market leaders for doing great.

But Playstation consoles have their own ecosystem. Handhelds doing poorly isn't going to affect that. The Wii U doing poorly isn't going to affect that either. So you can look at the overall market and think it's doing poorly because yes it is but when we know the breakdown of the overall market and we see that the PS4 is not showing signs of shrinkage compared to previous years or compared to the PS3 then it can't be ignored or blindly lumped together with weak platforms. And this is the lowest period of the year for hardware sales in Japan. It really doesn't dictate the rest of the year or the fate of the market in general. The 3DS and PSV are the end of their life so low sales are expected and the Wii U is unpopular compared to the Wii but also supply constrained at this point. So basically the market is really not doing that bad when expectations are in check.

Random Star Fox bumb?

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
Random Star Fox bumb?

Bomba bin discounts 

This week's releases

{2016.05.24}

[PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.800)

{2016.05.26}

[PSV] Cladun Sengoku <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥4.800)

[PSV] Sangoku Hime 4: Tenka Ryouran - Tenmei no Koi Emaki <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥6.500)

[PSV] Kyoukai no Shirayuki # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)

[PSV] SA7: Silent Ability Seven # <ADV> (Future Tech Lab) (¥5.800)

[PS4] [PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator # <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥6.800)

{2016.05.27}

[PS4] [PSV] [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes II: Futago no Ou to Yogen no Owari <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥6.800)

More on Dragon Quest Heores II ads at Shinjuku Station, here in this thread.

------------

This week has been very slow in term of sales. However, pre-orders are really something taking into account. At Santy Shop, they are advertising some of the games that are close to release.

Ace Attorney 6, Taiko Drum Master and Story of Seasons.

Others as Mario and Sonic for Wii U or Culdcept.

In Takarajima Stores, Persona 5 and Yo-Kai Watch 3 were the main topic.

------------

Talking about Wii U, its shortages never ended and are not closely to end, as far as I can tell. We're are talking about 800k units shipped worldwide, and presumably around 300k for Japan, so that's around from 5k to 6k for weekly shipments to clear.

There is stock at some shops, at others there isn't. The Mario Maker Set is the most shipped SKU, so it will be the only game to be influenced by Wii U shipments, not as some folks said that about Splatoon. Splatoon will sell, at least in the short term, even if Wii U isn't being produced anymore.

Something I think it could affect Splatoon sales is the release of Overwatch. There is some interest in the game, especially from students. The game was very popular among those high school students, and they could probably shift from Splatoon to Overwatch. Of course, I'm not saying Splatoon will stop selling suddenly. Here in this blog, in fact, it is said something like that.

http://www.nariyukigame.com/archives/48685696.html

Boutros said:
Acevil said:

But Playstation consoles have their own ecosystem. Handhelds doing poorly isn't going to affect that. The Wii U doing poorly isn't going to affect that either. So you can look at the overall market and think it's doing poorly because yes it is but when we know the breakdown of the overall market and we see that the PS4 is not showing signs of shrinkage compared to previous years or compared to the PS3 then it can't be ignored or blindly lumped together with weak platforms. And this is the lowest period of the year for hardware sales in Japan. It really doesn't dictate the rest of the year or the fate of the market in general. The 3DS and PSV are the end of their life so low sales are expected and the Wii U is unpopular compared to the Wii but also supply constrained at this point. So basically the market is really not doing that bad when expectations are in check.

However if you compare it to playstation ecosystem, than you also have to point out ps3 was not the market leader, and the device that was market leader for sony last was the PS2. I am not going to compare ps4 to ps2, but I do state the overall health of Japanese Market to be shrinking, and that these numbers are no where near positive for any of them. 

horuhe said:
This week's releases

[pics]

So nice that you're giving these on-site facts and pictures (god I miss my time in Japan).

I'll look forward to future stories from you about the state of console gaming in Japan :)

Yes Splatoon! Keep on Selling More than WiiUs!

Pocky Lover Boy!