By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overwatch is much, much too expensive.

Overwatch...

Too expensive. 287 51.25%

Too cheap. 20 3.57%

The price is right. 127 22.68%

^If it had a campaign. 82 14.64%

Indifference. I just don... 44 7.86%

Total:560
Puppyroach said:
midrange said:

How about you realize that not every game needs to have a single player campaign. Just because you like it doesn't mean that every game NEEDS it in order to be good.

also, pay to play?! Last I checked, people didn't need cosmetic skins to play. Clearly you don't have the game but are keen to judge it and it's "future message"

First of all, you should read my entire post, where I say the game doesn´t necessarily have to have SP, but rather have a lot of content.

If I ask you this instead: why do you think the game is priced at 60$ on console and 40$ on PC? I am well aware that the loot crates are mainly cosmetic skins, but why do you think they have them and charge money for them? Why do you think it´s fairly easy to gain levels in the beginning and harder further on, making it harder to get the loot crates? And do you think Blizzard would have even considered this ten years ago, considering how the industry looked then? They obviously see the market for it, since people buy into it and they will continue to push this as long as people buy it.

Yes, I actually read many of your posts where you parrot on about how the game is low content an show people shouldn't buy it lest they spread a bad message.

My issue with your posts is:

a) you make assumptions that the game will spread a bad message (simply because it does not have enough content for you). You then go on to tell people NOT to buy the game.

b) most of your arguments are exaggerations. Ex: overwatch is not pay to play and will never be pay to play (I don't know how you get that from cosmetic packs). Another ex: you fail to mention that the exp needed for a loot crate caps at 22000 exp (so loot crates don't become impossible to achieve as you continue to play.

As to your mentioned question: "why do you think the game is priced at $60 on console and $40 on pc?" Simple, Sony and Microsoft need a cut off of every console sale. Battle.net is owned by blizzard so they don't need to offset the platform cost. If the it was on steam, it probably would have been $60.

Edit: I'm still curious to know if you have the game, if not, it may not be worth refuting your "facts" on the game

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

No. What I'm saying is that most people don't want or need a singleplayer campaign and would much rather invest money into a well built multiplayer game. Thinking that a game can only be full price if it has singleplayer is a little naive, childish, and narrow minded, don't you think?

First of all, the game is 60$ on X1 so it´s priced the same amount as every other AAA game. And if you look at a game that has MP+SP for 60$ where the MP has as much content as Overwatch (and it doesn´t seem to have much MP content either) why is it motivated to charge 60$ for the MP only game? I am not saying it has to have a SP campaign in order to be full-priced, what I am saying is that we need to stop paying these sums of money for games with low content because it further pushes the industry towards a pay-to-play model in the future.

But most people aren't going to play it on X1. And I payed for it because it has a shitton of replay value and way more content than you guys are giving it credit for. I thought it was very much worth my money. Many, many others feel the same. This game was not a ripoff.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Puppyroach said:

First of all, the game is 60$ on X1 so it´s priced the same amount as every other AAA game. And if you look at a game that has MP+SP for 60$ where the MP has as much content as Overwatch (and it doesn´t seem to have much MP content either) why is it motivated to charge 60$ for the MP only game? I am not saying it has to have a SP campaign in order to be full-priced, what I am saying is that we need to stop paying these sums of money for games with low content because it further pushes the industry towards a pay-to-play model in the future.

But most people aren't going to play it on X1. And I payed for it because it has a shitton of replay value and way more content than you guys are giving it credit for. I thought it was very much worth my money. Many, many others feel the same. This game was not a ripoff.

What Content?
A few game modes and a dozen maps isn't allot of content, unless there is a chunk of the game I havent seen yet? (Yes, I do own a copy.)

Whether it is worth the money is always going to be personal opinion though... A dollar is worth more to someone who has no money than to someone who has Billions.
Someone might play the game for 100 hours, someone else might play it for only a couple, so the value shifts there too.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

What Content?
A few game modes and a dozen maps isn't allot of content, unless there is a chunk of the game I havent seen yet? (Yes, I do own a copy.)

Whether it is worth the money is always going to be personal opinion though... A dollar is worth more to someone who has no money than to someone who has Billions.
Someone might play the game for 100 hours, someone else might play it for only a couple, so the value shifts there too.

The content is there. The replay value is there. You don't see it. That's fine. Have fun playing whatever other games you play.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Man when I read all the time that it should be F2P...the best thing which could happen to the game is that it isn't F2P.

It ensures that at least some people less will cheat since not everyone can buy a game again and again after he got banned and it ensures that there won't be too many little kids who have no idea what tactics even means and who will only do shit all the time instead of playing how they should. 

Sure, you still get all of that but less as if it would be F2P.

Or when people say the price  should be like Rocket League. Sry but I would bet that Overwatch did cost 20x as much as Rocket League to create. I love Rocket League but there is no denying that much less time went into the art-style, much less time in creating the maps (I mean, they are almost all pretty much similar and there went not much time into creating "fair maps" for both sides, map design took probably a lot of time in Overwatch for that reason) and so on...

I think 40 bucks is fair. If 60 is fair is another question but if you will play it for a long time, 60 bucks is always ok for your wallet since you get much out of it (theoretically even for pretty small indie games lol). 

If it should be priced like Rocket League is, then Rocket League should be cheaper as it is. 

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:

You seriously call that having a good amount of content? I love Titanfall for example but know that me bying that game (just as when I bought DLC for Mass Effect and Alan Wake) is helping the industry move towards reducing content and putting more expenses on the gamers. So I have decided to not buy DLC for games anymore (well, it was a decision I made in 2010 or something) and will hesitate to buy games like Overwatch even though I think I would like the game very much. Star Wars is a great example since we can compare it to it´s predecessors, all which had massively more content for 60$. Lowering standard is not pushing the industry forward.

See I don't buy into season passes or split content because I believe that is totally backwards, but with Overwatch I;mfine paying the base amount because all future content is free and the only micro trans are loot boxes for pure cosmetics, the way it should be for any game that ever involves micro trans (yet we get worse models). Overwatch doesn't need an SP mode though because of the way the game is designed, so the checklist of "it's not a complete game unless it has X and Y" is subjective at best, the game allows for humans vs bots which most MP games never bother with these days with only a very few slim that bother going to that much effort, that alone is a nod in my books.

Star Wars Battlefront had both MP and SP, that is exactly how that started out at the time, OW didn't really start out with both and went with one, that isn't to say every single game in the history of the industry needs to have both, it also shouldn't mean that if it;s only MP that it should be fully complete but also dirt cheap, otherwise the same could be said equally for SP as well.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

ohmylanta1003 said:
It's just funny, because I thought people hated a lot of these multiplayer games because of the price plus the stupid number of microtransactions (DLC, season passes, skins only unlockable with real money, etc.). As it turns out, even when a game comes out for $40 that promises all future content to be free, even though Blizzard knows they could make a fortune off of it and the only microtransactions are unlocking cosmetics a little sooner (all can be obtained in game), people still get really upset. I don't get it. People get upset over everything. What do you people want?

Too add to this. The cost is also paying for the FREE CGI movies and comics. Which is basically OW's campaign replacment. Did Titanfall do that? Destiny? Has Battleborn done this? If I can't have a campagin I could play. Watching & reading basically episodes/movies for free, are a fine replacement. I'd buy a bluray that has all the shorts. Because these 4 episodes aren't the only ones they're doing.

archer9234 said:

Too add to this. The cost is also paying for the FREE CGI movies and comics. Which is basically OW's campaign replacment. Did Titanfall do that? Destiny? Has Battleborn done this? If I can't have a campagin I could play. Watching & reading basically episodes/movies for free, are a fine replacement. I'd buy a bluray that has all the shorts. Because these 4 episodes aren't the only ones they're doing.

Also don't forget TF2 did this some years back with their own movies and comics to fill in gaps and some trailers even had nods to said movies and details that were filled in prior.

Overwatch seems to be taking that idea that TF2 went with and I'm hoenstly fine with it, hell I'd even love it if we got an Overwatch feature movie or tv series, especially since that alone would also help to introduce and sell figures (even though they've been doing that already with Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft II).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

John2290 said:
Chazore said:

Also don't forget TF2 did this some years back with their own movies and comics to fill in gaps and some trailers even had nods to said movies and details that were filled in prior.

Overwatch seems to be taking that idea that TF2 went with and I'm hoenstly fine with it, hell I'd even love it if we got an Overwatch feature movie or tv series, especially since that alone would also help to introduce and sell figures (even though they've been doing that already with Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft II).

Do you think they will drop the price soon, weeks or months? Or will it ever go FTP?

Legacy of the void (which also cost $40) released late 2015 and has gone on official sale many times since the release. I think Overwatch will not have a permanent price drop any time soon, but I think sales will be common, knocking the price down by 25%. It will probably take years before they turn it to free to play, if ever. I hope they never do.

John2290 said:
Chazore said:

Do you think they will drop the price soon, weeks or months? Or will it ever go FTP?

Doubt it. There's a new competative mode coming out at the end of June. There is no reason to drop the price. When new stuff is coming out this soon. You'd just force them expand the microtransactions into blocking stuff to payers. When the game is not doing that now.