By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rainmaker Books Impairment Charge Over Ratchet & Clank

Misleading article. Rainmaker booked a 10$ million impairment charge, it doesn't say the project as a whole had a net loss of 10 million.

Heck, an impairment charge can be because a project makes less money than expected.

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:
Not surprising. I haven't seen a single commercial for it.

Really? I would see the CM quite a lot on TV. I guess they played it a lot on certain channels? Not really sure how that works...

Anyways, I figured it was going to do pretty well. It looked like a type of Pixar movie that would attract a lot of people. I'm surprised it didn't do better.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

How do they know it lost $10 million? There's no box office income from any markets outside the USA, so the theatrical numbers aren't even complete, unless the distributor has decided not to release the movie in any overseas markets.

I guess taking the US box office only it lost $10 million.

So it's an impairment charge of $10 million, which is not the same as actually losing $10 million. So that's why they can claim the "loss" while at the same time expecting to get some more revenue from the overseas box office once it releases in other markets. There's a chance that the movie may get close to break even. But whatever the case the movie has caused the IP to be DOA for all future movies and thus it's movie goodwill value is zero. And perhaps Rainmaker (note Sony didn't invest or lose anything) valued the R&C goodwill at $10 million before release.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

It barely had any advertisement. Heck, I only knew it was out when a movie theater put up a poster.

Well here the movie is in french, and they have take youtuber for the talk role and and not the one who make the voice ingame so almost every fan of ratchet & clank hate this... and younger kid don't know ratchet & clack ... so not surprise me at all

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Rain maker took $10 million loss from development. Sony should have given the task to insomniac. They handled the movie better than rain maker.

Insomniac's a game studio, not a film studio. Not sure why you think a company without any basis in animated film would be better than a company that literally pioneered CG in modern media. And no, cutscenes aren't the same thing. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
daredevil.shark said:
Rain maker took $10 million loss from development. Sony should have given the task to insomniac. They handled the movie better than rain maker.

Insomniac's a game studio, not a film studio. Not sure why you think a company without any basis in animated film would be better than a company that literally pioneered CG in modern media. And no, cutscenes aren't the same thing. 

Better than rain maker who have no idea about the game, the humor, the characters who are the soul of the game. Insomniac could do this with resources. And that could be a great movie.

daredevil.shark said:
DivinePaladin said:

Better than rain maker who have no idea about the game, the humor, the characters who are the soul of the game. Insomniac could do this with resources. And that could be a great movie.

Insomniac could have just written the script. I dont think there was anything technical wrong with the movie.

Not sure why they thought this franchise would make a good movie.

daredevil.shark said:
DivinePaladin said:

You have no idea how film development works, but it's not as simple as taking a game developer and assuming they can just up and stop everything they're doing, hire animators who have worked in film before, and make a great film on a budget lower than the companion game they made. 

Insomniac's PS3 Ratchet writer wrote the first script. Insomniac gave Rainmaker literally every asset in their PS3 archive. Nefarious was more accurate to  his character here than in Crack in Time! There were two problems with the film, only one which would be hypothetically solved by having a GAME studio make a MOVIE. The budget, which was low for a reason, and the director. The writing is fine as it is, if paced poorly, the animation gets fixed with a higher budget. The problem is that Kevin Munroe is great at making movies that are awesome for hardcore fans but that the mass public and critics don't like because they don't "get" it. Old school TMNT fans loved the 2007 film, but nobody else did, for example.

If you didn't like the film or are dissatisfied with its failure, the correct course of action isn't to assume Insomniac can just do it better when they're not physically built for nor do they want to be built into a film studio. Look at the actual problems here if you want to dissect the situation, don't just point fingers and run away.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!