By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has Microsoft already achieved its goal?

What difference does it make if it's Sony or Nintendo dominating? That's what I don't understand. If Nintendo sales 100m consoles, it's still domination.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

As oppose to PS3 loosing to 360 for a longer than that? 360 still sell just as well as PS3 in Other region. 10-20k sale is all within magin of error especially for place like Other region with extremely unreliable source. I am still wondering how PS3 sell into 10-20k range in Spain. Is Spain doing that well economically that people can afford such expensive console?

As for Other's other territory (non Europe), My brother live oversea in Asia and only elite few (ie very rich can afford system like PS3), most people opt for 360 simply because all the mods and copy games

I think MS is very happy where 360 is at. I think the 360 has achieve the goal set out by MS this generation, which I think is part of the problem with 360 now. MS is just content to coast along at this point.

I still remember I was waiting to get PS3 and everyone at gaming stores told me that 360 would be good as a doorstop or paperweight as soon as Sony release the Playsation 3. They told me not to get 360 and wait because MS would lower the price to under $200.00 by mid 2007 because Sony would have totally dominate. (No one of course back then pay attention to the Wii .. and interestingly of the 3 consoles the Wii was the one I bought in the first month of launch and ironically the one I least play with now)

360 is selling on par with the PS3 with it being a year longer on the market and with 7 million consoles sold more than PS3.
This is mind you without Japan's support at all and without the all amazing and powerful bluray drive. And at the same price point (in NA) as a PS3.

How can anyone say Xbox 360 is not a success?

oh ok if it makes all you Xbots feel better that you are getting decimated by Nintendo instead of Sony well that is just pathetic. MS failed yet another Gen. The Wii is already outselling it and MS has no chance of getting the lead back and it seems like it will fall to 3rd. Maybe third time is the charm but i say give up the console business and stick to making sub-par bug filled software.

kowenicki said:
El Duderino said:
I_am_not_a_troll said:
To lose to PS3 for the last 17 weeks in a row and counting you have to be joking.

Winning a battle is not the same as winning a war, the PS3s success will always be mesured by the success of the PS2 and it will never reach that standard... same goes for the N64 and the Gamecube...which is why the Wii is seen as such a big success... the 360 successfully disrupted the PS3, not without help from the Wii but the fact that most HD games from 3rd paries are multiplat is a great success for Microsoft... there is just no way around those facts.

Exactly. there is a man that "gets" my post. although you did just defeat your own nintendo brand loyalty statement.

How did I defeat my own statement ??? The N64 and Gamecube did lose their generations because of 3rd partys leaving them... but name one other company that could take such a beating and yet make a good profit and then come back on top... the reason Nintendo is still in this industry is because fans were always loyal to the great games Nintendo makes... even if their console isn´t number one and doesn´t get much 3rd party support...

Around the Network

^that s very true-i mean you can really tell how loyal gamers are by sticking out the mess even if its only going to equal a game or two

"I think the 360 has already achieved pretty much what it set out to do"

Let's be frank about this. The 360 was designed by Microsoft not as some sony-market-taking-machine, but as a console in it's own right, a product that Microsoft hoped could possibly reach PS2 levels of success.

Microsoft want to dominate the home console market. They want to reap the rewards by being the top-dog in the industry, just like any other business.

Their strategy was to beat Sony to the market by entering early, gain 3rd party support fast, use extensive advertising, and hopefully come out on top.

Have they achieved their overall goal? Absolutely not.

They have however increased support for their platform, made some great gains, and they'll definetly be in a stronger position entering the market for the next generation.

El Duderino said:
kowenicki said:
El Duderino said:
I_am_not_a_troll said:
To lose to PS3 for the last 17 weeks in a row and counting you have to be joking.

Winning a battle is not the same as winning a war, the PS3s success will always be mesured by the success of the PS2 and it will never reach that standard... same goes for the N64 and the Gamecube...which is why the Wii is seen as such a big success... the 360 successfully disrupted the PS3, not without help from the Wii but the fact that most HD games from 3rd paries are multiplat is a great success for Microsoft... there is just no way around those facts.

Exactly. there is a man that "gets" my post. although you did just defeat your own nintendo brand loyalty statement.

How did I defeat my own statement ??? The N64 and Gamecube did lose their generations because of 3rd partys leaving them... but name one other company that could take such a beating and yet make a good profit and then come back on top... the reason Nintendo is still in this industry is because fans were always loyal to the great games Nintendo makes... even if their console isn´t number one and doesn´t get much 3rd party support...

Nintendo Fans are the most loyals ones...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Reading some of these posts it is clear that some people find it hard to give some credit where credit is needed simply because its not there console of choice. Like someone already pointed out between the ps3 and 360 ww sales are very close I mean personaly I do think that the ps3 is selling a little more than the 360 but after all this time who would have thought that sony fans be really happy outselling the 360 by only 30k-50k a week. MS has made great progress this gen with the 360 and has given themselfs a good stepping stone for next gen.

kowenicki said:
kowenicki said:
The important markets are the US, UK, Japan and to a lesser extent France. Not only the biggest seeling markets but also where most games are made. The southern Euro states, particularly Italy and Spain are so brand conscious it is embarrassing.... but they will eventually follow the trend elsewhere.... maybe next gen.

So how do you explain the gamecube?

Are you feeling alright?