By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The WiiU was not the evolution of the Wii, it was...

Tagged games:

Magnus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Ninty was both genial and shoertsighted with Wii, it should have launched it with the higher precision and full 3-axes Wiimote Plus, that having actually been launched later enjoyed scarce support as 3rd parties didn't want to lose tens million potential buyers of their games, but had it been standard equipment since the start, it would have brought three benefits, attracting more hardcore games and gamers of a new kind, hardcore motion games with more realistic (and less forgiving) simulation and immersion, delaying the moment existing users got tired of the system and thanks to all this extend the life and increase lifetime sales of Wii. Fully using Wiimote Plus selling potential could have probably given Wii additional sales greater than Wii U lifetime ones, and without the need to develop another interim console. Ninty could have directly developed NX totally skipping Wii U, and what's better, leaving 7th gen still being strong, with a winning image, without the Wii brand name getting tainted and tarnished by falling before its competitors after having so easily overwhelmed them for years.

Nintendo said that the technology for the Wii MotionPlus just wasn't ready in 2006. They should have definitely have launched the Wii U with the Wiimote Plus instead of the gamepad, though. I have no idea why they thought the gamepad would be a hit.

I could only speak for myself but i dont believe that for a second.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
oniyide said:

Sure they did. I personally expected them to try to catch lighting in a bottle again and capatalize on another "unique" controller gimmick. Which is what they did only this time people didnt care about the pad like they cared about the Wiimote. What were other people expecting? A Wii 2? That was never gonna happen especially when sales started to dip on the original.

People did not care about the Wii remote any more that they care about the gamepad. The huge difference is, just like Jumpin already said, how it was used.

In retrospect it is obvious that Nintendo was going with the Wii U/Gamecube route. Even though you might expect Nintendo not going the uninteresting games route after they saw how uninteresting games killed Wii sales. Wii 2 was excactly what people was waiting for, that might even be the reason why Nintendo did not make Wii 2.

It was not the tablets people Nintendo was going after (not directly that is, as tablets share the core gamer values), but it was the industry's core audience Nintendo wanted. I can't remember what games Wii U was released with, but I'd recall they were mostly core games (like Nintendo land), with some cheaply and quickly churned out games like NSMBU. TThere's a big difference between publishing cheap shit and investing into something to make it better quality

What were these uninteresting games that killed the Wii? What games could Wii 2 possibly bring to the table that would have been different enough from the stuff on Wii that would have made people forked over for a whole other system? Graphics? cause the soccer moms dont really care about that. Maybe what killed the Wii was people just stopped caring, nothing was going to change that.

Everyone uses tablets though, from children to older adults what is core about that? Hell it probably made sense at the time to try to catch some of those people. Most of the games released at launch were not core. Unless we have diff definitions, cause i dont see how a mini game compilation is considered core. And to be fair most of the Wii library was made up of cheap shit and that didnt stop it from selling well. Alot cheaper than a 2d Mario 

oniyide said:
bdbdbd said:

People did not care about the Wii remote any more that they care about the gamepad. The huge difference is, just like Jumpin already said, how it was used.

In retrospect it is obvious that Nintendo was going with the Wii U/Gamecube route. Even though you might expect Nintendo not going the uninteresting games route after they saw how uninteresting games killed Wii sales. Wii 2 was excactly what people was waiting for, that might even be the reason why Nintendo did not make Wii 2.

It was not the tablets people Nintendo was going after (not directly that is, as tablets share the core gamer values), but it was the industry's core audience Nintendo wanted. I can't remember what games Wii U was released with, but I'd recall they were mostly core games (like Nintendo land), with some cheaply and quickly churned out games like NSMBU. TThere's a big difference between publishing cheap shit and investing into something to make it better quality

What were these uninteresting games that killed the Wii? What games could Wii 2 possibly bring to the table that would have been different enough from the stuff on Wii that would have made people forked over for a whole other system? Graphics? cause the soccer moms dont really care about that. Maybe what killed the Wii was people just stopped caring, nothing was going to change that.

Everyone uses tablets though, from children to older adults what is core about that? Hell it probably made sense at the time to try to catch some of those people. Most of the games released at launch were not core. Unless we have diff definitions, cause i dont see how a mini game compilation is considered core. And to be fair most of the Wii library was made up of cheap shit and that didnt stop it from selling well. Alot cheaper than a 2d Mario 

If the WiiU was a console that could use ANY kind of tablet as a controller, it would have been a head turner. If the casual side of the Wii's audience heard that you could take your iPads or Tablets as a controller for a console, that would have been more effective that just the gamepad. I don't know how that would have worked, but it would have made a bigger buzz and less confusion than the gamepad would.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
oniyide said:

If the WiiU was a console that could use ANY kind of tablet as a controller, it would have been a head turner. If the casual side of the Wii's audience heard that you could take your iPads or Tablets as a controller for a console, that would have been more effective that just the gamepad. I don't know how that would have worked, but it would have made a bigger buzz and less confusion than the gamepad would.

oh hell yeah. But Ninty aint about that life. IMHO Ninty aint that good at HW so this kind of endeavor is beyond their abilities

oniyide said:

Pretty much everything released 2009 and onwards, sans a couple of titles. Animal Crossing and Wii Music were the games that turned the tide; both were core games that you tried to market to new audience, and that failed - or, more likely Animal Crossing was intended for the core, and Wii Music for new audience, but both were core games (I have both) that the new audience didn't care about. You are right; people stopped caring the instant the games stopped coming they cared about. How do you know what "soccer moms" care about? Are you one of them? If so, I believe you, if not, I have to believe the "soccer mom" I'm married to.

The minigame collections are core games. They're just as much core games as RPG's or FPS's or sports games or driving games. It is the core audience that plays the games. Core is the audience that channels the money into the industry. It is the existing gamers that plays the games.

Yes, Wii's library was full of cheap shit, but that's a result of it's popularity, not the reason. What made it popular was the good games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, NSMBW, SMG, SSBB, MKW and the likes.

What non-core games Wii U had available at launch? NSMB and Just Dance?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I see a lot of familiar faces here who just now show up. I also see a lot of people who read Malstrom's blog too. Anyway moving on.

Of course the Wii U is not Wii 2! The Wii was amazing. The Wii U is not even close. The Wii was about expanding an audience and making a controller that was actually a step ahead of its competitors. (and Wii U)
The Wii U just wants that GC/Hardcore Audience because apparently Nintendo thinks they can have it all.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

bdbdbd said:
oniyide said:

Pretty much everything released 2009 and onwards, sans a couple of titles. Animal Crossing and Wii Music were the games that turned the tide; both were core games that you tried to market to new audience, and that failed - or, more likely Animal Crossing was intended for the core, and Wii Music for new audience, but both were core games (I have both) that the new audience didn't care about. You are right; people stopped caring the instant the games stopped coming they cared about. How do you know what "soccer moms" care about? Are you one of them? If so, I believe you, if not, I have to believe the "soccer mom" I'm married to.

The minigame collections are core games. They're just as much core games as RPG's or FPS's or sports games or driving games. It is the core audience that plays the games. Core is the audience that channels the money into the industry. It is the existing gamers that plays the games.

Yes, Wii's library was full of cheap shit, but that's a result of it's popularity, not the reason. What made it popular was the good games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, NSMBW, SMG, SSBB, MKW and the likes.

What non-core games Wii U had available at launch? NSMB and Just Dance?

And i have to believe the various soccer moms i know that put there Wiis in the closet. Also sales. How was Wii Music a core game? Explain that one cause i never played it (thank God) what games could they have made that would have kept them caring? Because if we look at sales the series for most of the games dropped ACROSS the board, so that tells me people stopped caring. (For example Deca Sports sold less and less as the gen went on and the first entry sold the best, last one selling the worse) so know the idea they stopped making games people cared about is fallacy.

If that is true for mini games why have the sales of said games dropped so drastically?

Alby_da_Wolf said:

What Ninty said is a half truth (or a half lie, if you prefer    ) : The exact model of 3-axes gyro used in the WiiMote Plus wasn't available, but there were other models already available. About the gamepad, a less bulky controller with a smaller display could have been more appreciated, and it would surely have been a lot less expensive.

I don't agree about your first point: a Wiimote Plus can also be used as a plain Wiimote (and it actually was almost always, even when it could have been a nice plus to use the Plus, due to publishers preferring to cater for the whole user base), so you get both potential user bases, but the opposite isn't possible.
Anyhow, even not launching it with Wii U, I think that giving it with Wii U too would have been a good idea.

I believe there were cost associations related to the availability comment. I'd recall it was around the time the Wii was released the 3-axis accelerometers reached mass-market pricing. The commonly used accelerometer was 1-axis that were used by automobile industry in airbag collision sensors (which is why the airbags didn't always go off when they should've). Technically two 3-axis accelerometers is needed in the 4-dimensional 6-axis motion sensors.

Yes, it can be used that way. But if it had been made, Nintendo had made the games to utilise the controller to it's full features - and that would have been the problem. I do agree that it would have been a benefit for a few early Wii games, but a burden for the biggest hitters.

The problem with giving it away with Wii U is that nearly all the games are locked with the controller screen -gimmick. Nintendo also said that the "U" means it's a console that's focused on you, as opposed to Wii that was focused on family.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

@bdbdbd

as requested: "NSMBU as a launch title, Nintendo Land (mini-game collection) as the pack-in title, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Game & Wario, Sing Party, Wii Sports Club, Mario & Sonic Olympics as 8 of Nintendo's first 12 releases for the system." as Soundwave stated. Add Just Dance to that list too.

Now we may have a different defintion of what core games are, I would like to hear your definition.

oniyide said:

And i have to believe the various soccer moms i know that put there Wiis in the closet. Also sales. How was Wii Music a core game? Explain that one cause i never played it (thank God) what games could they have made that would have kept them caring? Because if we look at sales the series for most of the games dropped ACROSS the board, so that tells me people stopped caring. (For example Deca Sports sold less and less as the gen went on and the first entry sold the best, last one selling the worse) so know the idea they stopped making games people cared about is fallacy.

If that is true for mini games why have the sales of said games dropped so drastically?

And the soccer moms put their Wiis in closet because of graphics? Or what was your point? 

Wii Music is full of tutorials, holding your hand, you really can't lose or win in the game, in order to advance you constantly need to clear triggers, Sebastian Tute is just as annoying as every unskippable cutscene there is, etc. It's pretty much the prime example of modern game design.

It is normal for the sales to drop when games are released too close to each other with no new content. Basically the sequels today are made to replace your old game in the store shelf instead of someone else's game doing the same. I believe Deca Sports was never a really popular game, it sold mostly because of people with Wii Sports wanted something new to play. And also, when there were more games competing for the same shelf spece, sales are spreading across a bigger number of games anyway. I don't think a single Wii was sold because of Deca Sports. It is because of that the Call of Duty has a new tagline with new content every few years, instead of COD 27 or so.

Sales dropped because the people stopped caring because there was no more new games to care about coming. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.