By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why would Super Smash Bros 4 come out for NX when NX will back backwards compatibility?

Maybe NX is not backwards compatibility.
Otherwise they could release the game as a Remastered version and improve it (like The Last of Us on PS3 and PS4).

Around the Network

You have a very good point. So please link me to where BC is confirmed and this topic will be a wrap!

Oh wait...it was not confirmed...nor hinted...only assumed? Please don't waste my time with more rumors and speculation...quite sick of it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Honestly, I highly doubt NX will not be backwards compatible, for these three main reasons.

1. With the lack of third party support and several droughts, there are at most, around a grand total of 20 Wii U games worth going back to.

2. Nintendo would have to keep the PowerPC architecture, which I don't see them doing.

3. Honestly, I really think Nintendo will do physical media like SD cards, considering some of the benefits it can provide over optical media.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

With only 13 million Wii U's sold, Nintendo would be stupid to waste any real effort on BC. It would be smarter to remaster the games people would want since most don't have them, and the Nintendo fanatics might buy them twice.

But if they're real smart they'll have a subscription service to access all old Nintendo games on NX, including Wii U titles, digitally.

I'm doubting it has out of the box compatibility. Most likely Wii U games will show up on the eShop and the best of them (well, best sellers) will see remasters.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
Nintation360 said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Eversince the Wii, Nintendo always had backwards compatibility. I can't see Nintendo not having this feature for their next console... Like why would they? I hope they dont make us pay for games we already own just like how Playstation did.

But what will they do for people to get the more expensive NX version instead of Wii U version? WIll do they do some kind of big dlc? What do you guys think?

I know its a rumor that Smash for Wii U will be released for Wii U. But its a rumor that can come true.           

Actually only last two Nintendo home consoles had BC, Wii and Wii U.

Saying that NX will probably not have BC with Wii U. Why!? Because BC with different architecture is hard and raise cost of console and price of product in same time.

Nintation360 said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Eversince the Wii, Nintendo always had backwards compatibility. I can't see Nintendo not having this feature for their next console... Like why would they? I hope they dont make us pay for games we already own just like how Playstation did.

But what will they do for people to get the more expensive NX version instead of Wii U version? WIll do they do some kind of big dlc? What do you guys think?

I know its a rumor that Smash for Wii U will be released for Wii U. But its a rumor that can come true.           

Well since the birth of the first Playsation to Playstation 3 it was fully backwards compatible but times change/Sony changed.  

As much as people put down remasters, it still sells tons because there are those that actually don't mind rebuying for the extra perks of the remaster, and more importantly it helps the first time buyers because older gen games stops production and can possibly make it harder to find.  It would sure beat paying alot more for a hard to find game on eBay.

For those that skipped Wii U and bought an NX, im sure majority wouldn't buy a system to play/buy last gen games so they'd likely want the game for current gen.  That's where remasters come in.  It may sound silly but that's just good marketing lol  And sure technically Nintendo can just keep producing Smash 4 for Wii U, but it sounds a bit silly that they're continually producing a last gen game for the sake of current gen's backwards compatibility feature.

With the huge sales Nintendo got from Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters for Wii U it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo finally sees why remasters are good money makers.

And for the history, if I can remember, Nintendo was the very first to create remasters by releasing Super Mario All-star for SNES, bringing last gen NES games to current gen SNES at that time.  They even brought some of the N64 Zelda's onto Gamecube.  So if Nintendo not having backwards compatible then it's more like they're going back to their roots.  

So in a sense, Sony's now doing what Nintendo did originally.

Just pointing these out off the top of my head.

On a side note: If the rumors of the NX using cartridges are true they that's more likely it wont have backwards compatibility.  That would mean that Nintendo would have to put in a disc slot just for last gen games, unless Nintendo decides to finally put in a dvd/blu-ray player but that never happens.

Ka-pi96 said:
Slarvax said:

VC would like to say hi.

Backwards compatibility implies that you can still play the games you already own. Considering you have to rebuy them for VC (and not all of them are available anyway), that's not really the same as backwards compatibility.

But why do I have to buy Clu-Clu Land twice 😭

On Playstation, I would buy it once, and can play it on 3 systems. Virtual Console *shakes fists with phone in hand*

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

NXDS likely can't handle Wii U BC, so Wii U BC would be exclusive to NX. A Smash 4 port means that it would be playable on both systems instead of just one. That's why Smash 4 would come out on NX.

GOTY version with all DLC. Throw in some new amiibo or two. It's a no brainer.