By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So...NX is a "New Way of Playing Games"... I'm Scared

Ljink96 said:
Nautilus said:
its just PR talk.They say this everytime a new console is to be released.The same was said when they went from the GBA to the DS.They probably just mean it will have a new gimmick of the sorts.That can mean anything.Could be good or bad.In another words, we are still on the same place:we know nothing about the NX.

About not affecting 3DS, he just meant the period from now to the release.And he gives pokemon as a reason that the 3Ds will still sell even with the official announcement.So yes, there is still a chance that the nx is a handheld or a hybrid.

The difference from this event over others is Nintendo made those statements more out of uncertainty, they didn't know how it [DS] would perform and if it did perform poorly they would fall back on GameBoy. There is no 2nd option here, they have no choice but to move forward, there's nothing to fall back on if NX fails. Their decision at this point is concrete.

With the console side, sure.With the handheld side, that not true.The 3DS was really succesful and still is to a lesser extent, so they would still have that safety net.

But thats why I also see why they are doing their side projects, like mobile, theme parks and movies.Those will be the safety nets in case the NX fails.They will need something to lessen the punch in case NX dosent meet expectations.So its not a totally different situation as it was with GBA.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I don't know what to think about this...

Pokemon Sun/Moon releasing on the 3DS, a 6 year old hardware, doesn't help either

Ljink96 said:
SJReiter said:
It doesn't necessarily make me nervous, but it does make me wonder...

To a Nintendo fan it may sound wonderous but to a 3rd party developer, that may spell trouble. The best we can hope is that NX has the same charisma as DS in which 3rd parties can't afford to ignore it.

Guess I should clarify. I mean that it just makes me wonder what in the world this thing is. Also, it makes me wonder if the majority of these rumors we've been hearing are even remotely accurate. The conventional wisdom up until now is that the NX would follow in the footsteps of the Wii U in the sense that it will have a touchscreen controller of some sort. If the NX is a 'new way to play,' well, to me that idea would be thrown out the window.

lonerism said:

Pokemon Sun/Moon releasing on the 3DS, a 6 year old hardware, doesn't help either

Yeah, Pokemon is going to sell well but I don't think 3DS sales will increase by much. Everybody who wants a 3DS owns one at this point.

Ljink96 said:

-Given the NX will be released next March, won’t that cause people to stop buying consoles this year?

Our business is a lively one. Of course, if you compare the Wii U to the Wii, you understand that situation. When the NX is released, the Wii U business will slow. But the 3DS has Pokemon coming this autumn, and that’s such a big hit that I can’t imagine the NX will have a negative impact on the 3DS.

-It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles.

I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It’s a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don’t feel it’s a pure replacement for the Wii U.

==============================================================================================================================

So, I think we can gain from this interview is that NX is not necessarily what we believe to be a traditional console, but it will still slow sales of the Wii U... Interesting enough, NX is projected to not impact the sales of the 3DS hinting that it isn't a handheld.

I have more the impression that he is hinting that NX is home console and handheld console and that it's replacing Wii U and 3DS after phasing them out.

If it only were a home console, why should he even mention the expected 3DS software sales? Could be interpreted as "NX would probably have a negative impact on 3DS software sales, but thanks to the new Pokemon game, this effect will be minimal."

"It’s a new way of playing games" could be "you can play the same game either on the go with reduced graphics or at home with better graphics on your TV".

"NX doesn't simply replace a home console or a handheld" could be "NX combines home console and handheld gaming, so it is not merely a replacement of one of them... it is a new way which allows each gamers to chose their own preference: home entertainment or mobility".

Around the Network
Conina said:
Ljink96 said:

-Given the NX will be released next March, won’t that cause people to stop buying consoles this year?

Our business is a lively one. Of course, if you compare the Wii U to the Wii, you understand that situation. When the NX is released, the Wii U business will slow. But the 3DS has Pokemon coming this autumn, and that’s such a big hit that I can’t imagine the NX will have a negative impact on the 3DS.

-It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles.

I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It’s a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don’t feel it’s a pure replacement for the Wii U.

==============================================================================================================================

So, I think we can gain from this interview is that NX is not necessarily what we believe to be a traditional console, but it will still slow sales of the Wii U... Interesting enough, NX is projected to not impact the sales of the 3DS hinting that it isn't a handheld.

I have more the impression that he is hinting that NX is home console and handheld console and that it's replacing Wii U and 3DS after phasing them out.

If it only were a home console, why should he even mention the expected 3DS software sales? Could be interpreted as "NX would probably have a negative impact on 3DS software sales, but thanks to the new Pokemon game, this effect will be minimal."

"It’s a new way of playing games" could be "you can play the same game either on the go with reduced graphics or at home with better graphics on your TV".

"NX doesn't simply replace a home console or a handheld" could be "NX combines home console and handheld gaming, so it is not merely a replacement of one of them... it is a new way which allows each gamers to chose their own preference: home entertainment or mobility".

You make a good argument. If NX is indeed a hybrid though, the handheld unit (if it has its own physical games) would have to release later in the year because 3DS isn't finished just yet especially in Japan. They've got some new Monster Hunter games, Dragon Quest XI, Yokai Watch 3, and of course Pokemon all of which have yet to recieve official release dates. Nintendo can't release anything "handheld" during Dragon Quest XI's 3DS release date because it's probably going to be Japan's best selling 3DS game. Unless the handheld unit is a streaming device, I can't see them...well let me just cut it off here, it's not a matter of if there's a handheld unit, it's a matter of when it'll be released.

Ljink96 said:
lonerism said:

Yeah, Pokemon is going to sell well but I don't think 3DS sales will increase by much. Everybody who wants a 3DS owns one at this point.

Yup, but the Pokémon Company doesn't care. They just want to sell to the largest instal base available. That's why Pokémon Black/White 2 released in 2012 on the DS which was 8 years old at the time.

lets see what this gimmick is...

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

I am excited!

PS: You people are a bunch of pussies.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

vivster said:
It's the Power Suit! Full body suit with buttons to control games. But instead of gloves you will get your hands chopped off and replaced with a wiimote and a tablet controller.

Innovation!

Eh, still sounds better than VR.