By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So...NX is a "New Way of Playing Games"... I'm Scared

Original Interview: http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-comments-on-nintendo-movies-mobile-nx/

Interview conducted between current President of Nintendo, Tatsumi Kimishima and Asahi Shimbun.

-What are your thoughts on your next-generation console, NX?

It’s something very new. The hardware, the software lineup, all of it is something I’d like to play for the first time myself.

-By releasing in March 2017, you’re missing end-of-year sales. Isn’t that a bit late?

It’s for the purposes of our game development schedule. When people finish the launch titles, they’ll want things to buy in spring, on summer break, at Christmas. As such, it’s not simply a question of when the hardware’s ready; rather, we need to ensure our software lineup is also in a good place.

-Is that in response to criticisms that the Wii U stalled out due to lack of games?

That was indeed a learning experience for us. However, it’s also true that we were struggling with the exchange rate at the time as well.

-Given the NX will be released next March, won’t that cause people to stop buying consoles this year?

Our business is a lively one. Of course, if you compare the Wii U to the Wii, you understand that situation. When the NX is released, the Wii U business will slow. But the 3DS has Pokemon coming this autumn, and that’s such a big hit that I can’t imagine the NX will have a negative impact on the 3DS.

-It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles.

I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It’s a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don’t feel it’s a pure replacement for the Wii U.

-The forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2017 remains unchanged from last year. However, projected Wii U sales are 240,000 units behind. Do you feel the NX will sell enough to make up that difference?

The NX is still an uncertain quantity, so any numbers are tentative. However, it’s true it will be difficult unless we foster a strong interest in the NX in our customers. In addition, I have high hopes for the sales of our smartphone apps.

-I am curious about the price. Nintendo has a history of value-focused consoles.

It’s true there is a certain expectation for the prices of Nintendo consoles. Our developers put a lot into them, but we can not sell at a loss. The final price is determined by balancing these two conflicting ideas. I don’t believe it’s as simple as “because this is a new platform, we can make it more expensive.”

==============================================================================================================================

So, I think we can gain from this interview is that NX is not necessarily what we believe to be a traditional console, but it will still slow sales of the Wii U... Interesting enough, NX is projected to not impact the sales of the 3DS hinting that it isn't a handheld. There's a lot of information for the picking here. Feel free to pick at any information here, it's actually got some interesting bits here.

Ultimately, the "New way to play games" thing is scaring me stiff. It is most likely gimmick focused with wording like that. Oh NX, so close yet so far away. Thoughts?

If this has already been posted, please lock it.

Around the Network

The only gimmick that Nintend can pull off succesfully is the shared library between home console and handheld, so I'm betting for it. A handheld as powerful as the WiiU and a home console around XBGone power could easily do the trick there. Anything but that will be ignored by people, specially after the gamepad and the 3D stuff.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I'm also a bit nervous...

What... are you entertaining the possibility that the new Nintendo system won't have a gimmick?

Oh you...

Nem said:
What... are you entertaining the possibility that the new Nintendo system won't have a gimmick?

Oh you...

Even the gamecube had a gimmick

Around the Network

Imho it's just PR talk, just wait and see what NX actually is...

It doesn't necessarily make me nervous, but it does make me wonder...

Luke888 said:

True, but even with the jump from 64 to Gamecube or Gamecube to WIi it was never a question that it would replace the predecessor. Nintendo has been sticking to the story that NX won't simply replace Wii U and 3DS. I hope it's just PR talk but it can only remain PR talk for so long...it releases in 9 months.

SJReiter said:
It doesn't necessarily make me nervous, but it does make me wonder...

To a Nintendo fan it may sound wonderous but to a 3rd party developer, that may spell trouble. The best we can hope is that NX has the same charisma as DS in which 3rd parties can't afford to ignore it.

Ljink96 said:
Luke888 said:

True, but even with the jump from 64 to Gamecube or Gamecube to WIi it was never a question that it would replace the predecessor. Nintendo has been sticking to the story that NX won't simply replace Wii U and 3DS. I hope it's just PR talk but it can only remain PR talk for so long...it releases in 9 months.

they said the same about the DS when they announced it but to me it seems like they moved on from the GBA...