By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Petition: Remove Uncharted 4 Washington Post Review from Metacritic

naruball said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Man, this is embarrassing.

I'm all for cleaning up the standards, journalistic and ethical, of video game publications and sites, but this attempt to adjust the score of a single game is not the answer. And let's all be honest with ourselves: the petitioner is upset his favorite game got knocked down a peg. This isn't about getting things right. It's about a low-ball score for a PlayStation exclusive. After all, the author can only justify a score as low as 8, and he wants to respect the developers for their "time and money." He definitely seems more pre-occupied with the "flawless reputation of the game" than he does any kind of truth-seeking.

Aggregate sites like Metacritic and video game journalism in general are flawed, yes, but so are consumer expectations. We fight tooth and nail to secure the best coverage for OUR games, but leave "rival" games in the dust. We champion freedom of expression, as long as it means high scores. And we refuse to allow critics to use a full rating scale. WE are part of the Metacritic problem, and petitions like this show why.

It is embarassing indeed. People have been making assumptions that this is about the score of a ps exclusive, when there have been several times a reviewer gave a low score to a ps exclusive but only the first time there was a strong petition to remove a review. Why do you think that is?

Why are people so adamant at comparing apples with oranges?

Well, neither of us can prove definitively our case. I believe the author of the petition, based on his words, is focused more on raising the score of what he considers an all-time great game. And I believe most of the people signing the petition want to improve the reputation of a PlayStation exclusive/Naughty Dog title. You believe the author wants to correct an injustice that sets a dangerous precedent for all games on Metacritic. And that most of the signees are concerned with the integrity of Metacritic, and that raising the score of Uncharted 4 is secondary to that.

Since neither of us can read minds I guess we're at an impasse.

Around the Network

Now I get it why suddenly fractions are meaningful.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Meta-slaves.

The industries biggest embarrassments.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
naruball said:

It is embarassing indeed. People have been making assumptions that this is about the score of a ps exclusive, when there have been several times a reviewer gave a low score to a ps exclusive but only the first time there was a strong petition to remove a review. Why do you think that is?

Why are people so adamant at comparing apples with oranges?

Well, neither of us can prove definitively our case. I believe the author of the petition, based on his words, is focused more on raising the score of what he considers an all-time great game. And I believe most of the people signing the petition want to improve the reputation of a PlayStation exclusive/Naughty Dog title. You believe the author wants to correct an injustice that sets a dangerous precedent for all games on Metacritic. And that most of the signees are concerned with the integrity of Metacritic, and that raising the score of Uncharted 4 is secondary to that.

Since neither of us can read minds I guess we're at an impasse.

If you could answer the bolded, that'd be great.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm all for cleaning up the standards, journalistic and ethical, of video game publications and sites, but this attempt to adjust the score of a single game is not the answer. And let's all be honest with ourselves: the petitioner is upset his favorite game got knocked down a peg. This isn't about getting things right. It's about a low-ball score for a PlayStation exclusive. After all, the author can only justify a score as low as 8, and he wants to respect the developers for their "time and money." He definitely seems more pre-occupied with the "flawless reputation of the game" than he does any kind of truth-seeking.

Aggregate sites like Metacritic and video game journalism in general are flawed, yes, but so are consumer expectations. We fight tooth and nail to secure the best coverage for OUR games, but leave "rival" games in the dust. We champion freedom of expression, as long as it means high scores. And we refuse to allow critics to use a full rating scale. WE are part of the Metacritic problem, and petitions like this show why.

This is a fantastic post Veknoid. 

Around the Network
Wildcard36qs said:
LOL the absurdness of this whole situation... Where did we go wrong? When did gaming become all about the numbers (resolution, frame rate, metacritic score)? Nintendo, please save us!

Yes, the review is a joke and the score should not have made such an impact. That being said, this 1 point is not going to make or break Naughty Dog and Uncharted. It will still get GOTY/GOAT awards. Everyone knows how amazing a developer they are and how much a masterpiece this game is. Get over it. The whiniest and most self-entitled generation ever. Gracious.

from the very beginning it was always about the numbers (hardware, software sales) or do you really think this happened just recently?

Carl2291 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

This is a fantastic post Veknoid. 

It's really not.  It's a "let's not say anything about a potential problem" post.  It's a post telling people to just shrug and move on rather than ask questions.  There are people here saying, "hey, there seem to be some discrepancies with this, let's discuss that," and then we get posts like the one you quoted calling that embarrassing?  I mean, seriously, what the hell?  That's a great post?  No, it's not.  

Yeah, I get it, people here are reading "Uncharted" and they're pulling their faction badges on and turning their brains off because it's not a game on a system they like.  Not long ago they were losing their shit because someone didn't like water levels but now they're "embarrassed"?  Bullshit.  

Honestly, I expected this from many but for others I've lost respect.  I don't know why but, for some strange reason, I was thinking that this forum could look at this a bit more rationally, even if they came to conclusion that The Washington Post and Metacritic both got things right.  Instead, it's just a lot of people who either fail at reading comprehenion or they're automatically against anything that might have a positive effect for a rival faction.  

Sprash said:
Wildcard36qs said:
LOL the absurdness of this whole situation... Where did we go wrong? When did gaming become all about the numbers (resolution, frame rate, metacritic score)? Nintendo, please save us!

Yes, the review is a joke and the score should not have made such an impact. That being said, this 1 point is not going to make or break Naughty Dog and Uncharted. It will still get GOTY/GOAT awards. Everyone knows how amazing a developer they are and how much a masterpiece this game is. Get over it. The whiniest and most self-entitled generation ever. Gracious.

from the very beginning it was always about the numbers (hardware, software sales) or do you really think this happened just recently?

I was being a bit facetious, but I am talking about from a gamer's perspective - not the manufacturer/developer. Of course they are in this as a business and want/need sales.

Wildcard36qs said:
Sprash said:

I was being a bit facetious, but I am talking about from a gamer's perspective - not the manufacturer/developer. Of course they are in this as a business and want/need sales.

well to be fair if the internet was a thing back in the good old days the same would have happened like it is now.

Versus_Evil said:
Come on guys, this is going to far, hell we even have people from VGC attacking the guy on twitter,

Is this really how you want to be seen?

Every good game as bad reviews, it happens.

picture is broken.