By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Petition: Remove Uncharted 4 Washington Post Review from Metacritic

CGI-Quality said:
Megaoverlord12 said:
While people throwing a hissy fit because a game got a 4/10 from 1 review is pathetic, the fact that the review doesn't even have a score shouldn't allow it to be on metacritic to begin with.

Which is, actually, much of the reason why the petition exists in the first place. It's not merely due to the score. That said, word is the score was sent to Metacritic after the review was published. Seems a little sketchy, and I'm highly against a 4/10 for a fully functional, quality title, but it is what it is and people need to respect the reviewer's opinion, however outrageous they believe it to be.

If it was sent to Metacritic post review, then the review should have been amended to add that. I don't buy that. That being said, the fact that "I believe U4 is one of the greatest games ever created and it is my personal favorite for sure , although i can justify some reviewers giving it a 9 or an 8.", was used to open the petition tells me that a) The petition was more because the reviewer gave it a score he didn't like than the fact that the score wasn't in the review, and b) that he probably would have started the petition if the critic gave the game a 7, regardless of the reviews content, or whether or not the score is there.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Around the Network
spemanig said:
mornelithe said:
First off, it needs to be clarified whether this is a satire or not (It's in the Comic Riff section).

Secondly, the petition appears to simply be a request to Metacritic. There doesn't appear to be any formal request for a Government agency to get involved, so, any first amendment talk doesn't apply here.

Thirdly, something does need to be done about 'news' sites, that intentionally post bad reviews in order to increase traffic. The AVClub did this as well. No idea what that something would be, preferably the profession of journalism would deal with it internally.

That's pretty silly. If it's satire, who cares? If it's not, who are you to decide that it was done to increase traffic? Media sites should be allowed to post whatever they want. People should be intelligent enough to not let the shitty ones gain prominance. If you believe that one has, that says more about the audience than the media site.

Something needs to be done about reviewers, not about sites.

Clearly, as I've already pointed out, individuals like Troy Baker care, as he signed the petition and shared it via Twitter, which is the only reason I knew about it in the first place.

Secondly, what does "No idea what that something would be, preferably the profession of journalism would deal with it internally." mean?  Clearly, my solution is that Journalists deal with it internally.  I'm certainly not a journalist, so I can only point out what looks like transgressions, Journalists have expertise and the resources to look into these transgressions and call them out.  Unfortunately, Journalism itself is in a tremendous amount of turmoil due to, the move away from print, and due to anyone and everyone having the capacity to pretend they're real journalists.  Which wouldn't be such an issue, if actual news organizations would vet the 'writers' they lift information from (or vet the information afterwards...that'd be super swell also).

And no, this isn't just about reviews, the problem with Journalism extends farther than just gaming.

KLXVER said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah, I'm sure if everyone stopped gaming overnight, the industry would look great.  What a silly statement.

Thats taking it to the extreme. If every person in the world became blind tomorrow, then there wouldnt be a gaming industry either.

You're the one who said gamer's were the worst thing about gaming.  Nothing I said suggests that eyesight is the worst thing for gaming.

KLXVER said:

So MC contacted WP and said :"Hey the review with no score, we need a score for it in order to put it on our site"

WP:"Oh there is a score on it. It says a 4/4"

MC: "Ehhh no, there isnt a score on it"

WP: "ITS A 4!"

MC:"Well he said 4, so I guess its a 4/10"

Thats what you think happened?

Don't you think its quite weird that they would take the step to actually go out of their way to find a score on a article that isn't scored?

Even if you don't think that it weird surely they said that they don't take none staff reviews anyway so being as though this isn't a staff review, why is it even considered at all.  That was their defense against the 10/10 AP score.  Can you acknowledge that at the very least they are being incredibly inconsistent with their own polocie?

CGI-Quality said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

If it was sent to Metacritic post review, then the review should have been amended to add that. I don't buy that. 

Well, that's the word. We know it wasn't posted in the review itself, so there's that.

MC needs a score, so Im guessing there was a score in the version that was sent to them.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

If it was sent to Metacritic post review, then the review should have been amended to add that. I don't buy that. 

Well, that's the word. We know it wasn't posted in the review itself, so there's that.

Thats probably the straingest part of this whole thing.  Where is the score on the damn review. 

CosmicSex said:
KLXVER said:

So MC contacted WP and said :"Hey the review with no score, we need a score for it in order to put it on our site"

WP:"Oh there is a score on it. It says a 4/4"

MC: "Ehhh no, there isnt a score on it"

WP: "ITS A 4!"

MC:"Well he said 4, so I guess its a 4/10"

Thats what you think happened?

Don't you think its quite weird that they would take the step to actually go out of their way to find a score on a article that isn't scored?

Even if you don't think that it weird surely they said that they don't take none staff reviews anyway so being as though this isn't a staff review, why is it even considered at all.  That was their defense against the 10/10 AP score.  Can you acknowledge that at the very least they are being incredibly inconsistent with their own polocie?

Sure. But if this was a misunderstanding, then it should have been fixed by now.

KLXVER said:
CGI-Quality said:

MC needs a score, so Im guessing there was a score in the version that was sent to them.

Two points:

Metacritic said they reached out to WP for the score and

The review isn't WP's in the first place because he isn't their own staff writter so they would have to contact the writer himself.

So this whole thing is weird from the get go.

CGI-Quality said:
KLXVER said:

Which is much of why the petition exists.

So if he adds the number everything will be fine?

KLXVER said:
CosmicSex said:

Sure. But if this was a misunderstanding, then it should have been fixed by now.

I think this is a case of embarassment.  They know they fucked up by their own rules but if they take the score down, it will open them up for everyone else to make petitions.  Yes, the score should not be here but this is an issue of pride and while I do support the petition, I think it should be left so people can know not to take Metacritic so seriously.