By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Petition: Remove Uncharted 4 Washington Post Review from Metacritic

Bandorr said:
KLXVER said:

You dont know that. Why is MC linking us to the bad review, if the good one is the right one?

So the first article they give it a 4 out of 4.

Yet the score they give is a 40 out of 100?  The score that was given in the first article?

It seems quite clear they are giving it a "4 out of 10" as opposed to the "4 out of 4". Thus it is wrong.

So which is more likely the right score "4 out of 4" actually mentioned in the first article, or the "4 out of 10" that they are just assuming?

So you dont know. You are just assuming.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

Thats the problem. There are no such thing as sharing an interest in the gaming world. Its the you against us menatlity that makes sure nothing ever gets done.

Well, we've shown we can do you against us, the challenge is redefining Us to mean all gamers, and them to mean whomever is currently bad for gaming.  Be it journalists, politicians, The South Korean Government etc... 

It's only our hobby, I mean, no big deal or anything.

Right now gamers are the worst for gaming.

This is so ridiculous it's actually funny.

KLXVER said:
mornelithe said:

Well, we've shown we can do you against us, the challenge is redefining Us to mean all gamers, and them to mean whomever is currently bad for gaming.  Be it journalists, politicians, The South Korean Government etc... 

It's only our hobby, I mean, no big deal or anything.

Yeah, I'm sure if everyone stopped gaming overnight, the industry would look great.  What a silly statement.

WE NEED TO GET THIS FIXED!

All my self-confidence and self-esteem hangs in the balance!

This one reviewer that gave the game a 4/10 is making me feel so insecure about my purchase!

I mean seriously, how could I possibly enjoy the rest of this game knowing that there is someone out there that didn't give it a perfect score!?

Please sign the petition everyone; I really want to know how the game ends but not until it has at least a 94 on Metacritic!!!

Also, I am getting a check in the mail from Naughty Dog if I help them get this review removed so it's crucial we act fast.

I know I didn't help create the game, but it would mean the world to me if we could only allow perfect scores from reviewers.

Thanks in advance for your signatures!

Around the Network

This is even more ridiculous than the Washington Post review itself.

Signature goes here!

mornelithe said:
First off, it needs to be clarified whether this is a satire or not (It's in the Comic Riff section).

Secondly, the petition appears to simply be a request to Metacritic. There doesn't appear to be any formal request for a Government agency to get involved, so, any first amendment talk doesn't apply here.

Thirdly, something does need to be done about 'news' sites, that intentionally post bad reviews in order to increase traffic. The AVClub did this as well. No idea what that something would be, preferably the profession of journalism would deal with it internally.

That's pretty silly. If it's satire, who cares? If it's not, who are you to decide that it was done to increase traffic? Media sites should be allowed to post whatever they want. People should be intelligent enough to not let the shitty ones gain prominance. If you believe that one has, that says more about the audience than the media site.

Something needs to be done about reviewers, not about sites.

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah, I'm sure if everyone stopped gaming overnight, the industry would look great.  What a silly statement.

Thats taking it to the extreme. If every person in the world became blind tomorrow, then there wouldnt be a gaming industry either.

freebs2 said:
CosmicSex said:

The review was never scored so why does Metacritic get to assign one? Also they saw they only take staff reviews. This was not a staff review.  So its more about being consistent with their own practices and being transparent. 

If the review was actually scored and the writer was a staff writter (their reason fo rejecting WP 10/10 score) then folks would have to accept it.

Metacritic scores affect bonus pay for a lot of developers so they need to know that are completely subjective whims of the people who pock and choose what to include. 

I simply want them to follow their own rules.

Never heard of it. Could you give a source to confirm this? Beacuse if that's true, then the situation is even more pathetic than I thought.

Do a search for the Destiny Metacritic controversy where the actual contract that Activision had with  Bungie was made public.   Their bonus was contingent on getting a 90 Metacritic score. 

So obviously developers want to know that the system is rigged or arbitrary.  In this case Metacritic made an arbitrary decision not to include the 10/10 review but made up the 40 score. When questioned they said the only take staff reviews but the 40 scorce was also for a review done by a.non WP staff writer so Metacritic doesn't have a leg to stand on by their own rules.

Bandorr said:
KLXVER said:

So you dont know. You are just assuming.

And now you can't even answer a simple question. I asked which is more likely - and you write it off as "just assuming".  You seem to have a vested interest in this "review" being considered real.

You are arguing just for the sake of arguing as opposed to trying to have an actual discussion. You offer no reason why the review should stay, or is the real one. You just seem to express the idea "well it could be, so it should be".

You aren't even offering up logic to why it got a 40/100. One article gives it a 4 out of 4, one article doesn't give a score. Yet the score it receives is a" 40 out of 100". So that means whereever it got the score - it got it as a "4". Which just happened to be the score it got out of the first article - 4 out of 4.

The only answer I would guess is that they were told "the score is a 4 out of 10" which would be very strange since the first score was a 4 out of 4. Why in both instances would it be given a "4". Far too much of a coincidence.

So MC contacted WP and said :"Hey the review with no score, we need a score for it in order to put it on our site"

WP:"Oh there is a score on it. It says a 4/4"

MC: "Ehhh no, there isnt a score on it"

WP: "ITS A 4!"

MC:"Well he said 4, so I guess its a 4/10"

Thats what you think happened?