By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you losing faith in gaming?

Are you losing faith in gaming?

Yes 178 42.79%

No 238 57.21%

Total:416
zorg1000 said:
AEGRO said:

"Miracle Gimmick" mixing their handheld and home console business

I fail to see how that is a gimmick. A gimmick is typically defined as "a special feature for the sake of having a special feature" basically something that serves no practical use.

Having a unified ecosystem between devices is not a gimmick in any way, shape or form because it serves a practical use. Segregating their fanbase and limiting a games sales potential by not being available to their entire audience makes no sense.

A unified platform has many potential benefits to consumers and developers.

Unifying the platforms is just a way to keep games coming for more than one device. If all the 3DS could have been on Wii U too, Wii U wouldn't be doing so bad it did. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
KungKras said:

RE4, De Blob, Guitar Hero 3 (sold the best of the 7 gen systems on Wii), COD 3 (outsold the PS3 version). We've been over this a thousand times and I'm fucking sick of having to explain this to people over and over again. Third parties sold fine on Wii while they still tried. Before they disenfranchised the base. There are more than enough counter examples to disprove your point. End of discussion.

Oh yeah, they totally kept up with this trend. That is why third party games as time goes on sold like poop.

When you deliberately poison a market sales will decline. Surprise surprise.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

He probably means people who grew up gaming in the 80s/90s see it as a decline because many of the big franchises and genres of that time are dead or niche while people who started gaming in the 2000s probably see it as a great time because we are now getting bigger, better versions of the type of games they started with.

Thats how I interpreted it.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

That's a good way to put it :)

Also, Beast Wars rocks.

Hmm. I'm in my 30's and I see it as gaming is only getting better. The thing that I miss from those days is the turn based rpgs but I understand that gaming has to evolve and the genres change.  Alot more can be done in a game then back in the day. Developers are more able to build worlds that are believable. That's more important to me then feeling a bit of nostalgia from a game. I don't know if others my age will see it the same but they've definitely seen gaming change decade after decade. I remember playing games like pong or duck hunt or super mario brothers wishing it was something like the witcher 3 or TLOU, now those kind of games are here, why would I ever want it to revert back to those boring ass side scrolling games?

You're apparently still too young. Technically the industry focuses on 18-35 single male (as it has for the last three decades), once you have kids and responsibilities, there's really no way you can spend the time on todays videogames, as they're such a timesinks that give you so little in return.

Today I had time to play 15 minutes Lylat Wars with my oldest kid. I started playing Eternal Darkness again 3 weeks ago, and I'm already a whopping 6 hours into the game. Ninja Gaiden on Wii U's Virtual Console clocked 6 hours in just a couple of days, because the game was easy to pick up and play 10 minutes at a time.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

KungKras said:
Snoopy said:

Oh yeah, they totally kept up with this trend. That is why third party games as time goes on sold like poop.

Because people want to make money. You can't make money on Nintendo's system if you're a third party developer / publisher.

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

He probably means people who grew up gaming in the 80s/90s see it as a decline because many of the big franchises and genres of that time are dead or niche while people who started gaming in the 2000s probably see it as a great time because we are now getting bigger, better versions of the type of games they started with.

Thats how I interpreted it.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

That's a good way to put it :)

Also, Beast Wars rocks.

Hmm. I'm in my 30's and I see it as gaming is only getting better. The thing that I miss from those days is the turn based rpgs but I understand that gaming has to evolve and the genres change.  Alot more can be done in a game then back in the day. Developers are more able to build worlds that are believable. That's more important to me then feeling a bit of nostalgia from a game. I don't know if others my age will see it the same but they've definitely seen gaming change decade after decade. I remember playing games like pong or duck hunt or super mario brothers wishing it was something like the witcher 3 or TLOU, now those kind of games are here, why would I ever want it to revert back to those boring ass side scrolling games?

So when I say generational it's not so much that generations of gamers differ; its that gamers differ over which generation of games is best. There are plenty of 30 somethings and 40 somethings who prefer the 7th and 8th gen to earlier generations and plenty of young people who prefer the 80s and 90s. It's about when game design was best, not necessarily birth year.

And to be clear, nostalgia has nothing to do with it. It's about design philosophy, replay value, etc.

But this conversation is a perfect microscosm: we're both in our 30s and we have very different perspectives on the industry. You think gaming is getting better by the year. I think it's getting worse.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
KungKras said:

Because people want to make money. You can't make money on Nintendo's system if you're a third party developer / publisher.

Except for everytime effort was put fourth and the game made money.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Snoopy said:

Except for everytime effort was put fourth and the game made money.

No, if they did make money they would've kept making games for it. Why would publishers skip out on money?

Not sure what exactly you mean by faith in gaming to be honest, but probably not..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

poklane said:

I'm losing faith in Online Multiplayer because it seems that 99% of all communities are nothing but toxic dickheads and people who have no idea what they're doing (or simply don't care about what they're doing) while publishers/developers are milking their games' MP more and more while not giving a shit about player feedback.
I love Rocket League, but I just can't play more than 2 games in a row without getting pissed at someone who's so shit that I genuinely think he/she only has 1 hand and it simply ruins the game for me. I'm not trying to say that I'm above average or anything, but there's A LOT of extremely, extremely bad players out there who are simply so bad that they ruin the game for their teammates. And there's a similar reason I just can't play more than 2 matches of Black Ops 3 or Battlefield 4 in a row: people don't give a fuck about the objective of the god damn gamemode they're playing.

More or less in the same situation for me. Just recently was I playing a few matches of Battlefront on PC for a few nights, each match full of people typing in stupid crap like "xDDDDD" every time they got the high score for camping or being generally annoying. Plenty of people going back and forth during those matches by slagging off one anoither like it's COD, all this while no one bothers to work as a team and that honestly pissed me off because it meant I died a lot since no one wants to look out for one another and the fact my team just act so stupid when it comes to taking objectives.

Battlefront isn't the only game I;ve had issues with when it came to other people, though most issues I;ve had with other players acting toxic or stupid has often been found in highly competitive games, shooters and even Mobas, at times MMO's as well. Funny part of all that is I;ve had very small encounters with highly toxic people when it came to co-op games or games that put focus on sandbox survival/co-op. I honestly don't think competitive gaming these days if at all is a healthy place to game in, the majority of my experiences from the past decade alone haven't been all that great, sure my co-op and local game experiences have been great but hardly the competitive side of gaming.

I too find myself being unable to play many matches of Battlefront and BF3-4 as much without getting bored to death or pissed because my team were just letting the other team win or only looking out for themselevs which is the complete opposite of teamwork, it's times like those described that make me want to go back to SP only games or ones that allow for co-op.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

No, but I lost faith in gamer's over a decade ago.