By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

JRPGfan said:

Is that actually true though? Because I have my doubts about it.

Look at a game like Bayonetta 1: (both on xb360 and Wii U)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0uGXkZo9c   (it looks better on 360) (avg 49 fps on xb360, 52 fps on Wii U)

Assasins Creed 4:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGNeLufdAU   

I think they run the same resolution? but look at the fps in this. The Wii U version runs like 20-24fps, and the xbox 360 runs 28-30 fps.

Look at the difference between Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 that looks like a 50% difference to me.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:

They'll probably have some type of free-form LCD wonka factory controller that'll bump the price up to $299.

thatsnotfunny.gif

Nintendo wouldnt repeat a mistake like that.

Having a screen controller? That wasn't a mistake. Yes they will do it again.

Thinking that the Wii U failed because it had a screen on its controller is a gross oversimplification of the Wii U's fatal issues. Also, it's flat out inaccurate.

spemanig said:
JRPGfan said:

thatsnotfunny.gif

Nintendo wouldnt repeat a mistake like that.

Having a screen controller? That wasn't a mistake. Yes they will do it again.

Thinking that the Wii U failed because it had a screen on its controller is a gross oversimplification of the Wii U's fatal issues. Also, it's flat out inaccurate.

The screen isnt the issue.

The issue is spending 80-100$ on the controller.

Those controllers sony sells in stores for 49$, probably only cost them like 20$ to make.

Nintendo cant have a controller that uses components for like 80$.

That 60$ or so differnce might seem small... its enough to be a issue (if they need to aim for a low price point).

JRPGfan said:

The screen isnt the issue.

The issue is spending 80-100$ on the controller.

Those controllers sony sells in stores for 49$, probably only cost them like 20$ to make.

Nintendo cant have a controller that uses components for like 80$.

That 60$ or so differnce might seem small... its enough to be a issue (if they need to aim for a low price point).

I don't think they'll ever reach price parity with a DS4, but I do think they can make it lower than what it is now. Getting down to $70-80 at a consumer level should be enough make it's addition to the NX not a massive impace like the gamepad was.

I can't say I would be surprised by a console weaker than the PS4....... sadly.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
MohammadBadir said:

WiiU's about 50% more powerful than the PS3 and some people called that non-existant :P

Funny analogies aside, I really hope this rumour isn't true. Being weaker than the XB1, having the smallest userbase, and other factors wouldn't really help such a console succeed in 2017 and beyond. It'd be too outdated.

Is that actually true though? Because I have my doubts about it.

Look at a game like Bayonetta 1: (both on xb360 and Wii U)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0uGXkZo9c   (it looks better on 360) (avg 49 fps on xb360, 52 fps on Wii U)

Assasins Creed 4:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGNeLufdAU   

I think they run the same resolution? but look at the fps in this. The Wii U version runs like 20-24fps, and the xbox 360 runs 28-30 fps.

The Wii U has a weaker CPU but stronger GPU. So games where the CPU is a bottleneck would have trouble performing on the Wii U. I think Ubisoft said it was a challenge porting AC3 to the Wii U.

This seems to line up pretty well with the other recent rumor that the NX handheld would be using a Pascal-based Tegra GPU. A handheld running XB1 level graphics would actually be impressive.

Poojipoo said:
This seems to line up pretty well with the other recent rumor that the NX handheld would be using a Pascal-based Tegra GPU. A handheld running XB1 level graphics would actually be impressive.

It would be very impressive.

It would also be impossible in 2017.

spemanig said:
Poojipoo said:

It would be very impressive.

It would also be impossible in 2017.

I wouldn't say impossible but challenging for sure.

You would need at least 5 watts devoted to the chipset alone, and performance per watt would have to match what AMD is doing on Polaris 11 (50 GFLOPs/watt). If Nvidia can pull that off (or whoever), that brings you to 250 GFLOPS.

250 GFLOPS can be stretched pretty far if you running games at a low resolution ... 640x480 would be 1/6.75 the pixels of 1080p, 960x540 is 1/4. So that would be a fairly dramatic drop. You'd also have to cut effects down to medium or low settings (PC equivalent).

And your form factor would definitely not be a pocket handheld. 5 watts for the chip + 1-2 watts for the display/memory/modem/misc brings you up to about 7 watts, that would require a battery the size of an iPad (full-size) to get a tad over 3 1/2 hours of juice out of. Fortunately batteries aren't super expensive, unfortunately a battery like that would be huge.

It would have to be a tablet form factor and not one of those mini-tablets either. Something the size of a Wii U gamepad would probably be required. It would likely cost $250 at least, lets assume $40-$50 for a cheap 6-inch display + touch panel, $50 for the chipset, $50 for the memory, $10 for cheap FLASH, $20 for your battery, $60 misc electronics + plastic casing, $10 profit margin, $8 packaging/assembly. Probably would have to be sold for $269.99 or something.

Soundwave said:

I wouldn't say impossible but challenging for sure.

You would need at least 5 watts devoted to the chipset alone, and performance per watt would have to match what AMD is doing on Polaris 11 (50 GFLOPs/watt). If Nvidia can pull that off (or whoever), that brings you to 250 GFLOPS.

250 GFLOPS can be stretched pretty far if you running games at a low resolution ... 640x480 would be 1/6.75 the pixels of 1080p, 960x540 is 1/4. So that would be a fairly dramatic drop. You'd also have to cut effects down to medium or low settings (PC equivalent).

And your form factor would definitely not be a pocket handheld. 5 watts for the chip + 1-2 watts for the display/memory/modem/misc brings you up to about 7 watts, that would require a battery the size of an iPad (full-size) to get a tad over 3 1/2 hours of juice out of. Fortunately batteries aren't super expensive, unfortunately a battery like that would be huge.

It would have to be a tablet form factor and not one of those mini-tablets either. Something the size of a Wii U gamepad would probably be required. It would likely cost $250 at least, lets assume $40-$50 for a cheap 6-inch display + touch panel, $50 for the chipset, $50 for the memory, $10 for cheap FLASH, $20 for your battery, $60 misc electronics + plastic casing, $10 profit margin, $8 packaging/assembly. Probably would have to be sold for $269.99 or something.

Improbable to the point of being unrealistic an not worth discussing. There's not a chance in hell mobile components are matching the XBO in real time power by next year. Get real. What you are describing is not an XBO-level handheld. An XBO level handheld would be outputting graphics nearly identical to the XBO at nearly the same clip and at the exact same resolution. That's not happening next year.