By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

fatslob-:O said:
demonfox13 said:

Only thing xbox had over gc was a gpu that was slightly better, whereas gc had a superior cpu and faster ram. Xbox couldn't handle windwaker without massive stutter. I'll let you do the reading.

That's patently false ... 

Xbox was better in practically EVERY category, it was in another league compared to the gamecube or PS2 ... 

The original xbox version would've easily chewed through gamecube version with the same amount of effort ...

That's not actually true each GPU had it's own advantages and disadvantages. GC GPU was superior at lighting, single pass multi texturing, and it had faster higher bandwith RAM. The Xbox GPU had a higher fillrate, more ram, customizable shaders, and it cache data from it's hard drive. A game built from the ground up that pushed the GC too its limits would not run on Xbox without significant concessions. The same held true for a game built from the ground up for Xbox being ported to GC. The lower bandwith and inferior single pass multitexturing were why the Rogue Squadron port to Xbox was ultimately canned.

There weren't many third party games that were built for the GC and ported to PS2 and Xbox. The few that were ran best on GC. Off the top of my head I can only thing of Sonic Heroes. The PS2 version looked graphically inferior and struggled to maintain 30fps frame rate. (The GC version ran at 60fps). The Xbox verion matched the GC version graphics but the frame rate fluctuated between 30 and 60fp.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Its like a 35% differnce or so... big enough that you cant really call it a marginal differnce.

WiiU's about 50% more powerful than the PS3 and some people called that non-existant :P

Funny analogies aside, I really hope this rumour isn't true. Being weaker than the XB1, having the smallest userbase, and other factors wouldn't really help such a console succeed in 2017 and beyond. It'd be too outdated.

MohammadBadir said:
JRPGfan said:

Its like a 35% differnce or so... big enough that you cant really call it a marginal differnce.

WiiU's about 50% more powerful than the PS3 and some people called that non-existant :P

Funny analogies aside, I really hope this rumour isn't true. Being weaker than the XB1, having the smallest userbase, and other factors wouldn't really help such a console succeed in 2017 and beyond. It'd be too outdated.

Is that actually true though? Because I have my doubts about it.

Look at a game like Bayonetta 1: (both on xb360 and Wii U)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0uGXkZo9c   (it looks better on 360) (avg 49 fps on xb360, 52 fps on Wii U)

Assasins Creed 4:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGNeLufdAU   

I think they run the same resolution? but look at the fps in this. The Wii U version runs like 20-24fps, and the xbox 360 runs 28-30 fps.

JRPGfan said:
MohammadBadir said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0uGXkZo9c   (it looks better on 360) (avg 49 fps on xb360, 52 fps on Wii U)

I think they run the same resolution? but look at the fps in this. The Wii U version runs like 20-24fps, and the xbox 360 runs 28-30 fps.

I'd think WiiU-optimized games would run better than old ports tbh. Especially when you take into consideration the GPU focused design of the WiiU compared to the 360 and PS3.

So the new Nintendo console is not as powerful as console released in 2013. This is not good

if this is the case, I expect it to launch at 199

Around the Network
maverick40 said:

So the new Nintendo console is not as powerful as console released in 2013. This is not good

They'll probably have some type of free-form LCD wonka factory controller that'll bump the price up to $299.

Darc Requiem said:

That's not actually true each GPU had it's own advantages and disadvantages. GC GPU was superior at lighting, single pass multi texturing, and it had faster higher bandwith RAM. The Xbox GPU had a higher fillrate, more ram, customizable shaders, and it cache data from it's hard drive. A game built from the ground up that pushed the GC too its limits would not run on Xbox without significant concessions. The same held true for a game built from the ground up for Xbox being ported to GC. The lower bandwith and inferior single pass multitexturing were why the Rogue Squadron port to Xbox was ultimately canned.

There weren't many third party games that were built for the GC and ported to PS2 and Xbox. The few that were ran best on GC. Off the top of my head I can only thing of Sonic Heroes. The PS2 version looked graphically inferior and struggled to maintain 30fps frame rate. (The GC version ran at 60fps). The Xbox verion matched the GC version graphics but the frame rate fluctuated between 30 and 60fp.

The original xbox is literally a superior version of the gamecube, spec wise ... 

At the time of 6th gen xbox had relatively NO disadvantages compared to PS2 or gamecube. In what way was the ATI Flipper superior in lighting when the NV2A had PIXEL SHADERS ?! 

The Xbox is arguably better at multitexturing than the GC, you could easily see more bump mapping and speculars or decals on the former rather than the later ... (Don't even get me started on the shadow mapping or the revolutionary 3D texture support.)

The ePSRAM was faster than the xbox's system memory but if we were to compare only the main system memory, xbox had a significant advantage in both bandwidth and capacity! (Remember how well the alpha effects turned out in the PS4/X1 face-off despite X1 having a similar setup like the GC did ? )

A game that is built from the ground up for gamecube would've run another lap on the xbox without any sort of concessions ... 

The system has more memory, higher CPU SIMD performance, and a much more advanced GPU ...

Soundwave said:
maverick40 said:

They'll probably have some type of free-form LCD wonka factory controller that'll bump the price up to $299.

thatsnotfunny.gif

Nintendo wouldnt repeat a mistake like that.

JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:

thatsnotfunny.gif

Nintendo wouldnt repeat a mistake like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did.  From what they've said about the Wii U, they seem to be very reluctant to blame the gamepad and its increased costs as a significant reason as to why the Wii U failed, instead always trying to find excuses like "it's because of tablets", "the audience just couldn't understand it" and so forth.  Because of that, there's a part of me that feels like Nintendo still thinks that the expensive 2nd screen gamepad is a spectacular idea and will keep on shoving it down our throats until we either like it or they go out of business.  If the NX's controller has any type of screen on it and it comes out that the NX is lacking in power, a lot of people are going to take it as a sign that Nintendo didn't learn their lesson with the Wii U.

I don't mind gimmicks.  I just don't want expensive gimmicks.

JRPGfan said:
MohammadBadir said:

Take out Vsync and they'd probably run the same or give Wii U an edge. 360 stuff can sometimes tear like mad but I hardly ever hear people mention this when doing comparions, too used to it I guess,

Anywy anyone post this yet? From the guy wholeaked the PS4K thing-rom the GAF thread;

OsirisBlack  

To add context to my previous post (I was asked via PM) without going into too much detail any game that runs on the XB1 or PS4 should run on the NX with little to no issue. What developers choose to or not to port to the console will more than likely depend on consumer support for the thing.