By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - is it still worth buying a 360 now?

The 360 is now at a very attractive price point. There is an incredible library of games already on the system and many, many more to come. The older titles get cheaper by the day and some serious fun can be had for next to nothing. Get one. You'll have a hellavu good time with it.

As for the "It's peaked and in decline comments:" Don't be retarded. The 360 still has a 6.7ish million console lead over the PS3. Developers aren't going to abandon the lead console any time soon. At this point, the PS3 has closed the gap by about 675,000 consoles in the last 4-ish months. That's well under 200K/month on average. Even if we assume a doubling of that number to 400K/month (extremely unlikely with the new price cut), it would still take about 17 months to MATCH the 360 in total install base. At that point, if you want to consider it in decline, you can but by then, the install base will be large enough that you can guarantee 3rd party support for at least another couple of years beyond that. Given all that data, 17 months plus another couple of years gives you 3 1/2 years of more or less guaranteed 3rd party support. That gets us easily to the release of the 720 or whatever the next gen is.

Moral of the story? Don't listen to fanboys. The 360 is a viable, fun platform that can be had cheap right now.

On the other hand, and just to be fair, if you are looking for gaming plus hi-def movies, your best bang for the buck is a PS3...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

If I had no console, and get a 360 now, I would buy all the AA titles already out and really enjoy playing with my virtual friends online.

If I had no console, and get a PS3, I would buy maybe one or two Blu-Rays and maybe pick up one or two of the B titles out now and my fun will be over pretty soon as the games are trickling very slowly.

If I had no console, and get a Wii, I would buy the AA titles and start inviting my real life friends over every weekend, but I would feel very empty without HD and epic single player games.

Those are my objective thoughts.

In the end, I bought the 360 in Dec 2006 for Gears and have never looked back since.

Dont buy one. There are too many games you will want to buy. You will go broke.

You have been warned. 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )