By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What if MGS4 and GT5 P bombs.?

Soz guys but GT5P isnt all it was cracked up to be. I played the full version (Jap version) today. Going to the gaming discussion section and my thread is there with my thoughts.

Around the Network

Considering MGS1, 2, and 3 didn't sell to good with the giant number of PS1 and 2 owners, MGS4 4 sales have a high chance of utterly failing.

Then they bomb...

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

A lot of hopes are pinned on MGS4 but I think it will be a financial failure when you consider the astronomic budget of this game and the fact that the previous installment Snake Eater managed to sell 3.96 million copies when the PS2 userbase was much larger than the PS3 base now. This has already happened to one of the biggest Playstation franchises (Ratchet & Clank) Don't get me wrong, MGS4 will sell well but it won't be the massive success people are hoping for.

GT:P is a much more accessible type of game and I think it will do ok.

I don´t expect MGS4 sell a lot more than MGS or MGS2, you expected it solout them to the end of the year with a userbase ten times lower?

Around the Network

Let me get this straight here. Is this a thread about "These games need to do successful for the sake of the PS3?" or is this about "PS3 haters need these games to bomb as a last resort?"

@Manuelf, the MGS 1 and 2 didn't exactly launch with 10x userbase.

I see alot of Nintendo fanboys here trying to say the Japanese market is the only market that matters and trying to avoid the issue of the European market. Many developers from Japan have emphasized that they will be looking the international markets for games with good world wide reception. I do remember in October when Wii sales were declining rapidly how quickly "Japan didn't matter." Luckily Wii sales are up and Japan "matters again."

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Ajax said:

if ps3 owners won't buy mgs4 or gt5
then what the hell do they want?

I guess they may want either Resistance 2 or Final Fantasy XIII

You guys need to stop putting so much faith in the Vgchartz numbers for the previous MGS games. None of them have "Other" sales, and Konami has already confirmed sales that are like over 2 million above our database numbers.

Aj_habfan said:
You guys need to stop putting so much faith in the Vgchartz numbers for the previous MGS games. None of them have "Other" sales, and Konami has already confirmed sales that are like over 2 million above our database numbers.

Do not try claim VGChartz sales figures are wrong. VGChartz  sales figures are based on worldwide sales and they are 100% accurate. BTW Konami would inflate their sales figures to make themselves look better.

Well if MGS4 and GT5:P both bomb, it'd look like a pretty bleak year for PS3, after the "take the release date for KZ2 with a grain of salt" news someone posted in another thread recently.

Personally I ain't fussed, I own a PS3 now, I don't really care if X number of random people I've never met buy 1, I never quite understood why fanboys do. So long as I get the games sony has promised will get a release at some point (FFXIII, GT5, God of War 3 etc) I'll be happy.