By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Souls III tops 3 million shipments. The series tops 13 million

Versus_Evil said:

Yet you'll still buy the DLCS so.... :p

DS2 DLC put the main game to shame IMO. If the DLC is even close to as good for DS3, that's exciting.

I buy the physical version with all them included, which I don't really like but that's better than purchasing the digital rights for the DLC!

Around the Network
Versus_Evil said:
Wright said:

I buy the physical version with all them included, which I don't really like but that's better than purchasing the digital rights for the DLC!

Then you should have waited for the GOTY then ^^

That's what I'm doing right now xD

Wright said:

Great numbers. Certainly deserved them. Kinda makes me sad that DS3 will be the last one according to Miyazaki, but you never know what will happen in the future...

On a side note, I don't really like how DS3 will be milked with DLCs. Didn't like it in DS2, don't like it here either.

Never kinda understood why this series was considered niche in the first place, considering every entry cracked two million units at minimun. And I'm also counting Demon's Souls and Bloodborne here.

I find that From Software's DLC practice to be a good one. Thier main games don't lack content. And thier expansions usually offer tons of new content ( locations, equipments, bosses, NPCs) I wouldn't call that "milking". I only purchased The Old Hunters DLC for Bloodborne and I was pleasently surprised by what I got. I never purchased DS and DSII expansions though. I already got the season pass for DSIII. Which is something that I never done before.

VXIII said:

I find that From Software's DLC practice to be a good one. Thier main games don't lack content.

While I don't generally disagree with that notion, Dark Souls 3 particulary was more lacking than any other Souls game, Bloodborne aside. And the fact that it had a season pass from the get go, and it's getting three expansions, makes me think they actually removed content from the game to sold it later, or they just simply didn't go that far because they knew they'll be adding more content later.

fatslob-:O said:
From Software is going to have fun making this an annualized series or at the very least biennial LOL ...

Except Miyazaki has mentioned over and over again that DS3 was the last game on the "Souls" series. When pressed on it he added that if, say, 5 years from now one of their subordinates was interested in making another entry to the series he would consider allowing it to happen.

Personally I'm confident Sony can keep Bloodborne going with From's assistance :)

Around the Network
Wright said:
VXIII said:

I find that From Software's DLC practice to be a good one. Thier main games don't lack content.

While I don't generally disagree with that notion, Dark Souls 3 particulary was more lacking than any other Souls game, Bloodborne aside. And the fact that it had a season pass from the get go, and it's getting three expansions, makes me think they actually removed content from the game to sold it later, or they just simply didn't go that far because they knew they'll be adding more content later.

You could be right. That still didn't stop it from being a substantial game. And for me, the best and the most enjoyable game in the series.

Wright said:
Versus_Evil said:

Yet you'll still buy the DLCS so.... :p

DS2 DLC put the main game to shame IMO. If the DLC is even close to as good for DS3, that's exciting.

I like the DLC's it brings you back to the games months after you done everything else on them, With Bloodborne I got the game and once I completed it sold it on ebay and bought the GOTY some time later and did the DLC. Worked out great I think I sold the original copy for £23 and bought the GOTY for £29.99 so was cheaper than buying the digital DLC(£15.99) and having the physical copy after all that is superior :D

You can easily do that with any game(Apart from DA: Inquisition, the tight bastards give you a code for the DLC in the retail copy) if you don't want to buy the digital DLC and it ends up cheaper if you dont mind waiting.

It's amazing that Dark Souls is getting bigger and bigger!
Imo From Software is still very underrated and deserves even much higher numbers.
Looking forward to the future projects of From Software!!!

BasilZero said:
Well deserved.

Its awesome to see such a niche type of game becoming so big enough to have clones and inspired games being made (several on PC and some on console).

I have the first two games and plan to get the third one in the future.

Action RPGs haven't been niche in ages.

500k in Japan and Asia provably almost all on ps4. The Playstation Asian (including Japan) market is very significant.