By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you happy with the current Nintendo?

Tagged games:

Are you...with Nintendo?

Happy 52 17.87%

Sad 21 7.22%

Dissapointed 110 37.80%

Indiferent 46 15.81%

Mad 24 8.25%

Satisfied 31 10.65%

Other (share) 7 2.41%

Total:291

I'll have to wait until I see the NX until I can respond fully. Right now, I'm most disappointed with NOA and the Nintendo treehouse for their general incompetence.

Around the Network

Disappointed.

Back in the N64 and Gamecube days Nintendo's home consoles were "niche" products compared to Playstation but Nintendo had lots of revolutionary games that really pushed gaming as a whole forward. They also sold a lot of hardware if you put handheld and home console sales together (the GBA's yearly sales were as high as the PS2's, it just got killed off sooner).

Today Nintendo plays it safe with software and frankly, the quality of their games has gone downhill. Sure, Mario Kart 8, Smash and Splatoon are amazing. But overall I miss the past quality of their games. And hardware sales have been dropping every year since 2009. Nintendo just doesn't feel "big" anymore. They used to be a proud and grandiose company (remember e3 2006? Blue Ocean Strategy with the DS? The Wii as a disruptive product?) but now they skip big presentations, announce their games in Nintendo Direct and seem to focus solely on the hardcore Nintendo fans.

And it's not just the software quality. Nintendo has lost its capacity to produce hit products, in hardware as well. Compare the (New) 3DS with the DS Lite and DSi and tell me their handheld designs didn't take a step backwards. The Wii U looks like an uglier, bulkier version of the Wii and was released 6 years later.

So yeah, disappointed.

They make so many missteps that getting mad on them is not worth the energy, I don't care anymore and neither does the world looking at sales. I just see what they come up with and if it looks good I get it for my side console when it has enough games, but the period of me actively getting myself hyped up for Nintendo conferences waiting for surprises is over because Nintendo has mostly regressed to its core franchises. I can confirm with 100% certainty that I will get the next iterative sequels to Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash, Yoshi, Xenoblade, there is no surprise. Nintendo is becoming a platform where I just buy a refresh/update to the previous titles and although they had a few surprises this gen, it was far too few in the droughts.

And yes like the user above said, I wait until NX and its first year of line-up for Nintendo to convince me again.

I am very happy. To be honest I don't like Nintendo at all. The prospect of Nintendo struggling makes me happy. As I said long ago any bad news about Nintendo makes me happy. However given the current situation at VGC my opinion will be unpopular.

I'm disappointed in Nintendo because the company underachieved. It's capable of greatness, but this generation, especially on WiiU, it didn't really reach its potential. It rushed a lot of half-baked games through the gates. It didn't explore properly the potential of the GamePad or 3D. And it adopted shameful DLC practices.

But you can say that of pretty much every major player in the industry, Sony and Microsoft included. It's just been a disappointing generation so far, across the board.

Around the Network

I'm dissapointed, but at the same time, I think Nintendo is slowly going in the right direction, starting with the new account system, being more open to partnerships, and hopefully the NX. 

The Wii U was a huge letdown to me, for various reasons (It's mostly my fault for expecting too much from it, but oh well):

- Zelda was delayed so much that I won't buy it for the Wii U anymore, why bother if it's coming to NX?

- 3D World was fun, but it's not what I wanted/expected from a new 3D Mario.

- The OS should've been better (C'mon, we didn't even get themes!).

- Virtual Console as a whole felt like a stepback (No Gamecube games, having to "upgrade" games you already bought on the Wii VC, N64 games have input lag/low brightness, etc..).

- Too many game droughts.

- No Animal Crossing, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion or main Kirby game.

- Unambitious games, like Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis, etc.

Of course it's not all bad though:

- Bayonetta 1 and 2.

- Splatoon shows that Nintendo can make new IP's, and good ones at that too.

- Super Mario Maker is great and I hope it replaces the NSMB series from now on.

- Mario Kart 8 is an *almost* perfect game, with great visuals, gameplay and it has DLC done right. The only things that keep it from being perfect are the lack of a proper battle mode and the characters/vehicles being too easy to unlock.

- Super Smash Bros.

- DK64, Earthbound and Mother 1 on the Virtual Console.

3DS wise, there's not many complaints to be had, I just didn't play it that much.

As for Nintendo overall:

- Too many Zelda remakes.

- Brazil exists, you know. The very least you could do is give us a localized eShop.

Sorry for the text wall btw =P

daredevil.shark said:
I am very happy. To be honest I don't like Nintendo at all. The prospect of Nintendo struggling makes me happy. As I said long ago any bad news about Nintendo makes me happy. However given the current situation at VGC my opinion will be unpopular.

While your opinion is respected, I would like to ask why? Did they do something to you personally or something?

im pretty satisfied. I have no interest in getting a PS4 until later and if it gets another price drop so it can be more affordable within my budget. I have Smash, FE, Xenoblade, Star Fox, Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Pokemon, etc. Plus my backlog is pretty big already so buying lots of games is not in my best interest right now. Besides, I like the Wii U and 3DS. Yes they don't have the current gen graphics and online capabilities the other consoles have, but I can't say it's terrible. The gamepad is useful when utilized effectively, online is free, there's little complications  in the features, and the games are rock solid based on what I'm playing.

Plus changes just don't happen overnight. The change of the guard probably won't be in full affect until years down the road. It will be almost one year since Iwata passed away so expecting changes immediately isn't possible. You can't expect Kimishima to just solve every problem overnight. I don't know what the NX is so assuming and predicting is something I'll leave to those who are into that stuff. Mobile is a nice way to expand awareness of IPs and I hope to see the upcoming theme parks, films, tv shows, etc.

so in the end, Nintendo just bit off more than they could chew. They had to balance everything with making games for 3DS and Wii U. Though I commend them for trying to support both, especially in this day in age when development of games are more complicated, expensive, and take longer.

Dissapointed! We all knew NX is coming, but they could have at least given us Wii U owners a few more games whilst waiting for NX. I was prepared to let that slide until they decided to delay the Wii U version of Zelda so it launches alongside NX. Dumb move that lost all my goodwill toward Nintendo. Now Wii U owners are left with only 1 more first party game and a few token 3rd party games for the remainder of the year. That is a poor show that has ultimately lost me as a customer, and probably many others too. I think many will pick up Playstations and Xboxes to actually play something. Im really loving my PS4 and starting to fully embrace the Playstation scene.

Vini256 said:

I'm dissapointed, but at the same time, I think Nintendo is slowly going in the right direction, starting with the new account system, being more open to partnerships, and hopefully the NX. 

The Wii U was a huge letdown to me, for various reasons (It's mostly my fault for expecting too much from it, but oh well):

- Zelda was delayed so much that I won't buy it for the Wii U anymore, why bother if it's coming to NX?

- 3D World was fun, but it's not what I wanted/expected from a new 3D Mario.

- The OS should've been better (C'mon, we didn't even get themes!).

- Virtual Console as a whole felt like a stepback (No Gamecube games, having to "upgrade" games you already bought on the Wii VC, N64 games have input lag/low brightness, etc..).

- Too many game droughts.

- No Animal Crossing, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion or main Kirby game.

- Unambitious games, like Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis, etc.

Of course it's not all bad though:

- Bayonetta 1 and 2.

- Splatoon shows that Nintendo can make new IP's, and good ones at that too.

- Super Mario Maker is great and I hope it replaces the NSMB series from now on.

- Mario Kart 8 is an *almost* perfect game, with great visuals, gameplay and it has DLC done right. The only things that keep it from being perfect are the lack of a proper battle mode and the characters/vehicles being too easy to unlock.

- Super Smash Bros.

- DK64, Earthbound and Mother 1 on the Virtual Console.

3DS wise, there's not many complaints to be had, I just didn't play it that much.

As for Nintendo overall:

- Too many Zelda remakes.

- Brazil exists, you know. The very least you could do is give us a localized eShop.

Sorry for the text wall btw =P

You don't have to feel sorry. These kind of posts are the reason for making this thread in the first place.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I'm disappointed, and at the same time kind of indifferent. I used to care a lot about their consoles and games; I remember obsessively playing the Wii and the DS for years, plus a bunch of Gamecube and N64 games, but ever since the seventh gen ended I don't really feel like going back to Ninty. WiiU's library is hardly enticing for me, aside from a few gems, and I don't really enjoy playing on 3DS anymore.

I'm definitively not hyped for NX, and while I hope it goes well, I don't really care either ways. It has to be revolutionary or anything for me to start caring about a Nintendo console again.