By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I love movies

I see a lot of negativity around about movies recently so thought be nice to have a thread where we discuss why we love movies and particular movies that strike a chord with people.

To me it comes down to escapism.  Being able to go with some friends and spend a couple hours lost in a story while th eoutside world disappears.  It can be a deep cerebral story that makes you question preconceptions or fun thrill rides that bring joy.

Growing up one of my favorites was "Jurassic Park" because it managed to give me a bit of everything.  The awe of seeing dinosuars, the fear of the raptors, the questions about science, the humor of the character interactions, and the thrill of escaping the island. It is really rare to feel all sorts of emotions and such a rare blockbuster that isn't superficial.

Why do you go to the movies? What movies left an impact on you?

Around the Network

I love movies, but I'm not much into super hero movies, animated movies or remakes. A few exceptions of course. So theres just not much for me to get exited about these days. Theres a few recent movies I really liked like The Hateful Eight and Deadpool, but movies like that are few and far between.

What is this negativism?

I like movies, and i definitly am enjoying the model that the marvel cinematic universe is using. That is pretty good. The problem with movies is that it only has 2 hours to tell a story. To have multiple films on the same universe a better story can be told.

Not saying the old fashioned 2h hour movies can't be good aswell though. Just saying that i like where this is heading.

Kung Pow!: Enter The Fist. That is all.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Aside from animated movies (Disney has been on a roll recently, Inside Out and Zootopia were amazing imo), there's not much going on that interests me lately, which is a bit sad. I'm super excited for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them though, so there's that.

Around the Network

I'm only really negative towards remakes. I'm just sick of the amount they do. Not really, is it about auto marking them as failures. I want remakes to work. Judge Dredd I wanted to succeed. But I didn't want Total Recall or Robocop's remakes to exist. These are movies that shouldn't be remade.

I don't really like watching movies in theaters. The size of the screen. Or the amount of speakers, isn't a draw for me. Nor is "3D". I love watching them, at home. What movie left an impact. Lord Of The Rings, is one chunk. Fantasy done really well. They aren't totally perfect. But, the scope the movies, they set out to do. Was what I loved from them. Plus, the cast they picked. From small B movie actors. To top of the line British actors. Pick the right people. Their past jobs isn't a reason to restrict them.

very recently I watched and liked Deadpool, Kingsman and The Purge:Anarchy

The reason I go to the movies is to usually laugh, enjoy and marvel at how far journey can take us. My favorite movie of last year is the Hateful Eight and with Kingsman being my second. This year it seems like Deadpool might have the crown.

Also ignore the negativity honestly, I know some people are your usual suspects, but you just learn to zone them out. (I know I can be down on couple of movies that aren't even out, looking at you ghostbusters, but I am never going to be rant and rave about so and so for hours). 

Who doesn't enjoy movies, though? Cinematography is probably one of mankind's greatest cultural achievements in recorded history, as it is both a powerful tool of information and enjoyement. Barely a few hundred years ago we couldn't even begin to imagine how was the exterior world (as in, outside our country of residence); nowadays, just with movies, we can have a very accurate idea of how different places work and think; we can have a pictural idea of things that surround us, and they also transcribe a visual spectacle, sometimes along the lines of moving, daring narratives. Whether you go into theaters (or just buy a DVD) for laughs, for enjoyement, to kill time or to fascinate yourself over dreams come true in the big picture, movies will forever retain a figment of satisfaction for every single person in this world, as there are countless movies with different experiences to offer. I think everyone in this world would be able to enjoy movies, if shown the correct one to even their biggest detractor.

As for movie discussion, I think I'm one of the biggest Tom Hanks fanboys around here, as I've loved every single movie of him I've watched and he's partially to blame for my huge love for movies; Forrest Gump being not only his best movie but also my personal favourite movie ever made (nostalgia also plays a huge factor, as I first watched it as a little boy and it definitively grew on me). Runner-ups are Cast Away (also watched it as a kid, and one of the very few movies that have ever made me cry in tears), The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Cloud Atlas, Philadelphia, Catch me if you Can and The Terminal. His latest movie, Bridge of Spies, certainly receives a commendation from me as well.

As for genres, I favor Sci-Fi over everything else, though I don't discriminate whenever I go to see a new flick. Among the top, outside Forrest Gump, I put The Fifth Element, The Iron Giant, Minority Report, Titan A.E., The Time Machine, Gattacka and a few more. Outside sci-fi? There's one movie which I definitively recommend and that's Yojimbo; both for its importance in cinematography and also for being a humorous, yet well conceived samurai drama.

I enjoy movies, and I'm glad to live in a period of time where superheroe movies are popular because I love them (with some exceptions).

I'm not a fan of animated classics turned into live action movies.