By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1080 unveiled; 9 teraflops

Slimebeast said:
Peh said:

Technically, yes. But I thought he meant something higher than 1080p like 2560x1440. 

Yeah, I meant 1080p. I know 2560x1440 or any off resolution will look blurry, but since 1080p is exactly 1/4th of 2k, that should look very sharp, yes?

1080p is 2k.

There's a difference between the computer/TV resolutions, usually described by its vertical resolution, and the movie standards that use the horizontal one. For example, in movies 2K stands for a (1998)2048x1080 resolution, that corresponds to the 1920x1080 resolution of TVs and monitors.

And 4K cinema is 4096x2160, while for TVs and monitors it's 3840x2160, which should be called 2160p, but the marketing guys decided that it was too complicated and went for 4K.

torok said:
JEMC said:

On 2017 Nvidia will have the full Pascal chip, and things won't change much.

And the last time AMD did something like this, with the HD 4 and 5000 series, it worked well for them and increased their market share, which is exactly why AMD is doing it now.

After all, most sales come from the sub $300 segment.

I'm hoping that, with Vega, they will already bring a GPU to compete with the 1080ti and the next Titan, so they would only give a free pass to Nvidia this year.

Of course, most sales come from the sub $300 GPUs, but they have to be careful. When they were rocking with the 500 series, Nvidia didn't had a 330-360 bucks GPU like the 970/1070 that actually delivers serious performance. They are beasts, so AMD has to, at least, match this guys. The 970 was a success and AMD fought it well with the 290x/390x.

Well, that kind of proves your point actually. The 970 was a much more important GPU than the 980/980ti and Titan X. Most people don't need more. It's really where the money is. Anyway, I think that you need a flagship to avoid the image of being an "inferior" company. The FX CPUs are reasonably competitve to the i5, but people see AMD as crap because they don't have anything to fight the i7s.

I agree with you that having an "halo" product improves the perception of a company, but given the financial situation of AMD, focusing on what sells the best is the right choice.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Good stuff, but I want 12GB's of HBM (or equivalent) and even more oomph before I upgrade!

JEMC said:
Slimebeast said:

Yeah, I meant 1080p. I know 2560x1440 or any off resolution will look blurry, but since 1080p is exactly 1/4th of 2k, that should look very sharp, yes?

1080p is 2k.

There's a difference between the computer/TV resolutions, usually described by its vertical resolution, and the movie standards that use the horizontal one. For example, in movies 2K stands for a 1998x1080 resolution, that corresponds to the 1920x1080 resolution of TVs and monitors.

And 4K cinema is 4096x2160, while for TVs and monitors it's 3840x2160, which should be called 2160p, but the marketing guys decided that it was too complicated and went for 4K.

I agree with you that having an "halo" product improves the perception of a company, but given the financial situation of AMD, focusing on what sells the best is the right choice.

Oops, I meant 4K.

CGI-Quality said:
Mummelmann said:
Good stuff, but I want 12GB's of HBM (or equivalent) and even more oomph before I upgrade!

Pascal Titans will be your friend, then. 16GB of HBM 2 with even more oomph. :)

Good stuff, but probably 950-1100$ at launch?

CGI-Quality said:
Mummelmann said:

Good stuff, but probably 950-1100$ at launch?

Yeah, I'm thinking so. $999 for the Normal Version, $1,050-$1,100 for the Founder's Edition. Which means mine will probably cost $1,130x2, since I'm going for the SC'ed.

When do you think they will release the Titan? Before I thought not before next year but since they're bringing out the 1080 early it could be a lot sooner.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

been hanging out for these and performance and power "appear" to match the hype (though only independent testing will truly prove that as both Nvidia and AMD are dodgy in benchmarking), now just need to wait and see what AMD come up with before I decide on whether to get a 1070 next month or hang off until AMD releases.

Ruler said:
sc94597 said:
The posts in here about PC gaming and prices are ridiculous. This is literally as top of the line as you can get. Obviously the price will be high compared to the PS4 which is at the lower mid-end.

It seems everything that is above the PS4 in performance has a high end price in PC gaming more and more, this is not how it used to be

You can get a PS4-beating GPU for less than 250 Euros. That's not high end.

curl-6 said:
Ruler said:

It seems everything that is above the PS4 in performance has a high end price in PC gaming more and more, this is not how it used to be

The problem is that these GPUs are tethered to 2GB cards. Even the 970GTX is *technically* a 3.5GB card when fully taxed and no; I don't need to hear from the Nvidia defense league on how their misleading specs are true. We all know about the backlash that discovery stirred up.  

greenmedic88 said:
curl-6 said:

The problem is that these GPUs are tethered to 2GB cards. Even the 970GTX is *technically* a 3.5GB card when fully taxed and no; I don't need to hear from the Nvidia defense league on how their misleading specs are true. We all know about the backlash that discovery stirred up.  

You can get 4GB cards in that range too.

Currently, I am very content with my 970, but these new cards seem incredible. Excited to see what will be available when I want to upgrade in a few years.

Hi