By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1080 unveiled; 9 teraflops

If amd only tries to reach the 1070, would that be something bad? let nvidea have the high end, but with a mid range as good as this, it dosent seem like the worst idea to me. after all, vr is the future and this mid range more tan delivers.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

1080p is 2k.

There's a difference between the computer/TV resolutions, usually described by its vertical resolution, and the movie standards that use the horizontal one. For example, in movies 2K stands for a 1998x1080 resolution, that corresponds to the 1920x1080 resolution of TVs and monitors.

And 4K cinema is 4096x2160, while for TVs and monitors it's 3840x2160, which should be called 2160p, but the marketing guys decided that it was too complicated and went for 4K.

I agree with you that having an "halo" product improves the perception of a company, but given the financial situation of AMD, focusing on what sells the best is the right choice.

Oops, I meant 4K.

It looks really blurry. Not recommended, at all.

It will always look blurry when it is a resolution that differs from the native resolution. The lower the resolution the worse it will look.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

greenmedic88 said:
curl-6 said:

You can get a PS4-beating GPU for less than 250 Euros. That's not high end.

The problem is that these GPUs are tethered to 2GB cards. Even the 970GTX is *technically* a 3.5GB card when fully taxed and no; I don't need to hear from the Nvidia defense league on how their misleading specs are true. We all know about the backlash that discovery stirred up.  

If you get a cheap card then I don't know why low VRAM would bother you. Those cards aren't made for anything higher than 1080p or AA. You will have enough other bottlenecks before you'll reach the memory cap. That's why the 3.5GB in the 970 are more than plenty for every real life scenario.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

eva01beserk said:
If amd only tries to reach the 1070, would that be something bad? let nvidea have the high end, but with a mid range as good as this, it dosent seem like the worst idea to me. after all, vr is the future and this mid range more tan delivers.

Penis measuring is a big part in marketing. Nvidia is already regarded as the highest quality manufacturer by the majority of gamers. Part of that is that they usually hold the performance crown.

What would the average consumer rather buy? A slimmed down version of the most powerful GPU on the market or some midrange card of that other manufacturer who hasn't really anything to show for concerning the potential of their new architecture? In a market where buyers still pay more attention to the amount of VRAM than actual benchmarks, having the most powerful GPU is worth a lot even if it's too expensive to buy for most people.

I mean how do you think Nvidia got by all these years? All of their cards lose against AMD in price/performance. It's all great marketing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

haxxiy said:
Pemalite said:

In 5 years we should have 7nm~ GPU's.
I would expect probably even double the performance of even this.

The upcoming 7nm nodes are "only" about 3 times better than 14-16nm and they are very, very expensive. Anyone who can't afford paying literally hundreds of millions of dollars to design a chip are going to stay put. Do not expect more than one or two consoles, and one or two PC GPUs five years from now or so.

Consoles could be 40-60% better than a GTX 1080 even on their current power requirements. But yeah, if they are as big and power hungry as the fat PS3/X360 SKUs, they could maybe double a GTX 1080.

Of course, everybody could play safe and stay at 10nm. You never know.

7nm is expensive because it can't be used for large complex chips, it's reserved for NAND untill they improve the situation.
Thus that "3 times better" can and will change.

However... nVidia and AMD constantly do well every year throwing out faster and faster GPU's.. Even on the same node, I.E. AMD Managed to more than double performance between the Radeon 7970 and Fury, both were 28nm, both were cosidered monolithic, low yield, expensive chips.

Thus... Even if we were to be using 16/14nm for the next 4 years, expect more than double the performance as AMD and nVidia are both entering this feature size conservatively with their initial batch of processors.

shikamaru317 said:

According to Steam Hardware surveys, less than 10% of PC gamers currrently use high end cards like the 970, 980, Titan, and R9 Fury series. The perecentages for low and mid range cards are far higher. I think AMD is right to prioritize low-mid range first, then release their new high end cards next year. AMD's plan is to bring VR capable performance and 1440p capable performance to the mid-range segment. They also plan to release low-mid range gaming laptop GPU's that are on par with consoles or better.

If AMD lives up to their claims, later this year we could very well have a $250 Radeon card that is cool, quiet, and capable of maxing most games at 1080p 60 fps and some at 1440p 60fps, and to a mid-range PC gamer like myself, that's equally as impressive as what these new Geforce cards are capable of at $400+. 

Steam doesn't account for systems that have integrated graphics as the primary adapter and switches to dedicated graphics on demand.

Steam doesn't account for multi-GPU systems either.

The % of PC's that are more powerfull than what Steam hints at is indeed higher.

You also need a high end card, not for sales... But as a Halo product, to draw people to your brand, your lineup and spur sales, nVidia will have that, nVidia will likely have the advertising edge, nVidia will likely outsell AMD and that is AMD's own fault.

Slimebeast said:
How does 1080p look on a 2k monitor? Looks as good as on a 1080p monitor, yes?

Ironically... I find 1080P looks better on a 4k monitor than a 2k (Aka. 1440P) monitor... As the scaling isn't 1:1.

eva01beserk said:
JEMC said:

Yes, but the laptop chips will be the Polaris 11 ones, so lower than mainstream...

I know, its way im basing my asumption on the fx8800p, witch is currently amd's flagship laptop apu. Im expecting at least 2-3x performance on polaris 11, polaris 10 sorry to say but i dont care about.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges. Polaris is a GPU not an APU.
AMD has mobile GPU's that are faster than the FX-8800P.

AMD's Mobile Polaris isn't even going to be the fastest AMD mobile GPU, that crown will continue to lay with the Mobility Radeon 395X untill probably Vega.

Teeqoz said:
Peh said:

It looks blurred.

You should always play with native resolution for the best image quality.

2k=1080p

4k=2160p

So 1080p on a 2k monitor is the native resolution

2k is often in reference to 2560x1440... Otherwise known as Quad-High Definition.

eva01beserk said:
Zappykins said:

I think Neo will do very little. Maybe on a few exclusives, but others whise why would developers spend any time on something that will have a small market?

With another shrink or two, I could see something lik this, or maybe a bit more powerful for the next gen consols. But they may to go step upgrades, so who knows.  Like how PC's are right now where you can chose your graphics, details, textures, frame rate etc.

I hope so to. I would want neo to just be the same apu on 14nm wich will drive energy consuption and price down some. Maybe have full mantle and direct x12 suport. something slighty better for slightly cheaper. Then in the 2 years remaining release the full ps5 xbox2. 5 years has to be the limit for how short  generation lasts. I can see them then going with at least 5terraflops next gen. That could be 4k for consoles.

Mantle is impossible. AMD abandoned that project, chunks of that code has ended up in it's successor, Aka. Vulkan.... Non-Microsoft consoles will use Vulkan as the primary high-level API, with probably some other fork of OpenGL for ease-of-use and familiarity for some devs at the expense of performance.

Direct X 12 will not happen, for obvious reasons. Direct X 12 is also a high-level API, the Xbox One actually has another API with performance that exceeds Direct X 12.

JEMC said:
Danman27 said:
Can't wait to see how AMD answers.

They won't.

AMD has stated that they aren't targeting the "high end" sector but instead they are focusing on the "mainstream" one. With luck, expect the best AMD card to compete with the GTX 1070.

AMD are targeting the mainstead with Polaris. They will be targeting the high-end with Vega and then Navi.

Slimebeast said:
Peh said:

Technically, yes. But I thought he meant something higher than 1080p like 2560x1440. 

Yeah, I meant 1080p. I know 2560x1440 or any off resolution will look blurry, but since 1080p is exactly 1/4th of 2k, that should look very sharp, yes?

1080P is 1920x1080 which is 2,073,600 pixels.
2k is 2560x1440 which is 3,686,400.
That is roughly a 77% increase in total resolution.

Mummelmann said:
Good stuff, but I want 12GB's of HBM (or equivalent) and even more oomph before I upgrade!

Vega will launch with HBM 2 memory.

Navi however will launch with a next-generation memory, that is probably going to be the card that makes 4k on a single card super feasible!

eva01beserk said:

Polaris is likely to fall short of the 1070. It's a mainstream product not a high-end or enthusiast grade product.

curl-6 said:
Ruler said:

It seems everything that is above the PS4 in performance has a high end price in PC gaming more and more, this is not how it used to be

You can get a PS4-beating GPU for less than 250 Euros. That's not high end.

...You could also get a Radeon 7850 for like $50 second hand, overclock the crap out of it and play games better than the PS4. Like all the Frostbite powered games in ACTUAL 1080P rather than 900P!

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Awesomeness overload! ^^ 11 quotes in one post, I've never seen that before!

Pemalite said:

JEMC said:

They won't.

AMD has stated that they aren't targeting the "high end" sector but instead they are focusing on the "mainstream" one. With luck, expect the best AMD card to compete with the GTX 1070.

AMD are targeting the mainstead with Polaris. They will be targeting the high-end with Vega and then Navi.

But Vega won't come until next year, going against Nvidia's next Titan and Ti. And we'll have to see if there are other new cards and rebrands by then too.

AMD is mainstream now, maybe they'll go high end in the future.

Mummelmann said:

It's the second time he does something like this. He's after some record .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

But Vega won't come until next year, going against Nvidia's next Titan and Ti. And we'll have to see if there are other new cards and rebrands by then too.

Mummelmann said:

It's the second time he does something like this. He's after some record .

AMD's Fury is high-end. AMD will abandon the high-end (Or just keep Fury around.) untill Vega.

Vega also might drop late this year. Depends how the cards (Pun intended) drop.

Reason for the big posts is sometimes I don't log in for days as this site is garbage on mobile and I can't be bothered dealing with it untill I am on my Desktop.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
haxxiy said:

The upcoming 7nm nodes are "only" about 3 times better than 14-16nm and they are very, very expensive. Anyone who can't afford paying literally hundreds of millions of dollars to design a chip are going to stay put. Do not expect more than one or two consoles, and one or two PC GPUs five years from now or so.

Consoles could be 40-60% better than a GTX 1080 even on their current power requirements. But yeah, if they are as big and power hungry as the fat PS3/X360 SKUs, they could maybe double a GTX 1080.

Of course, everybody could play safe and stay at 10nm. You never know.

7nm is expensive because it can't be used for large complex chips, it's reserved for NAND untill they improve the situation.
Thus that "3 times better" can and will change.

However... nVidia and AMD constantly do well every year throwing out faster and faster GPU's.. Even on the same node, I.E. AMD Managed to more than double performance between the Radeon 7970 and Fury, both were 28nm, both were cosidered monolithic, low yield, expensive chips.

Thus... Even if we were to be using 16/14nm for the next 4 years, expect more than double the performance as AMD and nVidia are both entering this feature size conservatively with their initial batch of processors.

Nope? You need to conform to increasingly complex set of rules when designing smaller chips, and more advanced tools, processes and IP. There is no way around the need for about 500 man-years to design a mid-range SoC on 7nm, no matter how cheap the foundries make these pieces of silicon out to be. I'm not making this up by the way, you can search for the sources of anything I'm saying. So it cannot and will not change, since we can mathematically predict were we wil end up on more advanced nodes. And those predictions are best-case scenarios on themselves, since the foundries don't want to look bad on their own roadmaps, do they?

Now, to considerations on architecture. AMD didn't quite manage to double the performance. The Fiji is about 50% more efficient than the Tahiti chips, and that's factoring in the HBM.  Maybe if you couple the worst-reviewed first bath of Tahiti chips with an R9 Nano (which itself was an effort of desperation to look good on power efficiency, selling an underclocked 8.9B transistor chip to take on mini GTX 970s) you can sort of claim the power efficiency has doubled.  The GCN 28nm were on themselves terrible on power efficiency, beating the 40nm Evergreen chips by less than 50% on most instances. In fact, 28nm only did what was supposed to do and doubled 40nm on efficiency with the more recent (GCN 1.2 and Maxwell) architectures, a statement on how early GCN and Kepler sort of sucked. Again, not making up anything, the search engines are your friend here.

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

AMD's Fury is high-end. AMD will abandon the high-end (Or just keep Fury around.) untill Vega.

Vega also might drop late this year. Depends how the cards (Pun intended) drop.

I don't know how could AMD keep Fury as their high-end cards with only 4GB. That's why I think (or hope) that the 490X will be faster than Fury and around GTX 1070 levels of performance.

Also, I think that AMD has Vega up and running, but they are waiting on HBM2 prices to fall down to launch it. They expect it will happen early next year, but if it happens before, they could release Vega late this year.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.