By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has there ever been a worse time to be a Nintendo fan?

?

Yes (Specify) 155 29.25%

No, it's never been this bad 375 70.75%

Total:530
Soundwave said:

Well I mean the Wii U had NSMBU, Sing Party, Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Sports Club within the first 12 months. I guess you could also throw in 3D World because it was obviously heavily tailored to appeal to NSBM casuals.

And it was a disaster.

3DS launch with Nintendogs + cats? Huge disaster. Brain Training? Biggest generation over generation flop we've seen this gen probably.

The need for someone to make simple/easy/friendly games that people who don't like hardcore games is completely unneccessary today. Smartphones and Facebook completely dominate that industry.

Beyond that I think people just tired of flapping their arms around. After a while you do begin to notice that most of the games don't even pick up on your movements properly and walking around the neighborhood for 15 minutes is probably a better excercise routine than 90% of what's in Wii Fit.

It's not just Nintendo that bet hard on motion gaming ... MS made Kinect central to the XBox One too and that basically gave Sony all the ammo they needed to win back the console market.

I like social gaming too, but I prefer things like GoldenEye and Mario Kart that require some actual skill. Playing Wii Sports gets dull after a while because there's no skill involved whatsoever.

Almost every single game you named was a shallow cash in without soul (I bolded them). Why would somebody buy the original Wii Sports in HD or Wii Fit U, which was mostly a remake of the first two games? Nintendo Land was simply bad and not at all comparable to Wii Sports. And what are the most successful games on the Wii U? 2D Mario and Mario Kart. The same games that sold well on the Wii. And Mario U came out at a time when they totally milked 2D Mario and didn't put any effort into it. There was no progress, no improving the games for a new generation. They just threw them out there to appease investors. 

The Wii U has a freaking tablet controller! It is totally alienating the Wii fanbase and Nintendo's focus was clearly not on the people who bought the Wii. The product itself (the hardware) was a disaster through and through, with stupid marketing, no focus, no direction and a totally failed gimmick. You talk about Wii fans like we are stupid ("I prefer games that require actual skill") but you think you know what people like us would buy or not. 

But again, let's say you are right. Then it's game over for Nintendo. The hardcore gaming approach never worked for them. The mass market approach won't work either. That means goodybe Nintendo. 

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Cloudman said:
Currently, this current situation seems like the end of the GC era, where it was their all time lowest selling console (minus the VB) and the future looked grim. It's looking grim again with Ninten trying to recover when Sony is at their strongest. They managed to turn things around with the Wii, but I wonder if they can possibly do it again here.

In all era including GameCube era they had their handheld which helped them. In smartphone era handheld has become handHELP. OP is technically right.

But... the OP didn't really state any sort of answer, just a question, and really, there isn't a right answer. Everyone's gonna have a different one.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I hope one day people that says "Zelda always get delayed" can understand what they are writing rather than just throw an apologist useless comment. Oh, and that shitty Miyamoto comment too about delays.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Louie said:
Soundwave said:

Well I mean the Wii U had NSMBU, Sing Party, Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Sports Club within the first 12 months. I guess you could also throw in 3D World because it was obviously heavily tailored to appeal to NSBM casuals.

And it was a disaster.

3DS launch with Nintendogs + cats? Huge disaster. Brain Training? Biggest generation over generation flop we've seen this gen probably.

The need for someone to make simple/easy/friendly games that people who don't like hardcore games is completely unneccessary today. Smartphones and Facebook completely dominate that industry.

Beyond that I think people just tired of flapping their arms around. After a while you do begin to notice that most of the games don't even pick up on your movements properly and walking around the neighborhood for 15 minutes is probably a better excercise routine than 90% of what's in Wii Fit.

It's not just Nintendo that bet hard on motion gaming ... MS made Kinect central to the XBox One too and that basically gave Sony all the ammo they needed to win back the console market.

I like social gaming too, but I prefer things like GoldenEye and Mario Kart that require some actual skill. Playing Wii Sports gets dull after a while because there's no skill involved whatsoever.

Almost every single game you named was a shallow cash in without soul (I bolded them). Why would somebody buy the original Wii Sports in HD or Wii Fit U, which was mostly a remake of the first two games? Nintendo Land was simply bad and not at all comparable to Wii Sports. And what are the most successful games on the Wii U? 2D Mario and Mario Kart. The same games that sold well on the Wii. And Mario U came out at a time when they totally milked 2D Mario and didn't put any effort into it. There was no progress, no improving the games for a new generation. They just threw them out there to appease investors. 

The Wii U has a freaking tablet controller! It is totally alienating the Wii fanbase and Nintendo's focus was clearly not on the people who bought the Wii. The product itself (the hardware) was a disaster through and through, with stupid marketing, no focus, no direction and a totally failed gimmick. You talk about Wii fans like we are stupid ("I prefer games that require actual skill") but you think you know what people like us would buy or not. 

But again, let's say you are right. Then it's game over for Nintendo. The hardcore gaming approach never worked for them. The mass market approach won't work either. That means goodybe Nintendo. 

It could be game over for Nintendo as a hardware maker. I hope that's not the case, but the industry is dramatically different today even from 8-10 years ago and the trends are not good for Nintendo which has a slow moving and out of touch management group. Nothing is promised in this industry on brand alone, you have to execute and be sharp if you want success.

Motion gaming and music instrument gaming was largely a fad IMO though. After a while the games become all the same and in motion gaming you begin to notice that your movements/skill/ability really don't matter that much and the experience becomes dull after the initial rush wears off. And that initial rush isn't even there anymore after playing the 50th motion game.

I didn't mean it as an insult, but it's true, a game like Wii Sports doesn't require any skill. As such it's always going to be limited in how much depth it has as a play experience.

Nintendo will have tremendous success on mobile I think because that's where casual gamers are now, things like Animal Crossing will be a huge, huge hit there if executed properly.

Pavolink said:

I hope one day people that says "Zelda always get delayed" can understand what they are writing rather than just throw an apologist useless comment. Oh, and that shitty Miyamoto comment too about delays.

Ahaha, what a classic quote. Never gets old.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

I guess some devs take it to heart, and it's good they do too.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Lets be real anyway, Zelda could have been ready this holiday.

Nintendo wants it for the NX, so that means it will be delayed another 50 times if need be to make the NX launch. It launches when ever NX launches, at this point if something disastrous were to happen and NX were moved to 2018 or something, Zelda is 2018 too.

It's a business decision this time.

RolStoppable said:
Louie said:

Listen, Louie. I'll try to explain it slowly, so that you are able to comprehend it. I won't be mad at you if you don't get it.

You have this messed up idea that the Wii Remote and Wii U Gamepad are two totally different controllers, but in reality both are gimmicks, so they are the same. Similarly, someone who played games like Wii Sports with a group of friends perceives Angry Birds and Candy Crush as a perfect replacement of the experience.

You act like providing halfbaked attempts at sequels isn't enough to get people to buy a new console, especially when all the same games could have been easily released on the Wii. You act like the casual filth was given no legitimate reasons to buy another Nintendo console, but the Wii U actually offers much better graphics than the Wii. Better graphics, Louie. The one measurement above all others that determines the true value of a video game system.

God, I missed your replies Rol! But you know, anything you say has become invalid and factually wrong the day I kicked your ass at Mario Kart Wii. 

For first party content, no.

Every Nintendo console post SNES is fine, but not great. Wii U is more of the same in my eyes but with abysmal sales primarily due to price and uninteresting gimmick.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
For first party content, no.

Every Nintendo console post SNES is fine, but not great. Wii U is more of the same in my eyes but with abysmal sales primarily due to price and uninteresting gimmick.

I really do wish Nintendo had kept Rare around. They weren't perfect and they need to clamp down on the wildly bloated 3D platformers, but they still brought a lot of worthwhile content.

Nintendo has a near vacant lineup for their home system, which has been their worst-selling ever, and there is no third party support. Their handheld is aging, though it has games coming. E3 will likely have no new announcements. A new system is coming, but was delayed. Overall, their place in the industry has plummeted over the last 4 years. The president died.

Indeed, it is hard to argue that this is not the worst time ever for Nintendo fans.