By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Has Released

CGI-Quality said:

This is, without a doubt, the most photo-realistic game I've ever seen. DirectX12 FINALLY showing what it can do (Quantum Break was just the beginning)! 

I hope you realise that this has NOTHING to do with DX12, as Metal, Mantle and Vulkan can/could do this to.

This is about a very high quality designers doing their job right. DX12 only takes the huge volume of data out of drivers and let's the programmers get real if they know how to. Pretty much like any low-level API. That being said, this pictures are textures and meshes, not code. So the fact that this game looks beautiful has little to nothing to do what DX12 is all about. Hence why DX12 will never overlook hardware and hence why the Xbox One will not look prettier than a PS4. You can put DX15 in there in 20 years and it won't look better.

Hardware limitation can only do so much.

Again, DX12 is a low-level API that cuts down the overhead of drivers and makes applications runs faster, not prettier, faster. Faster because you're programming more machine and less language.

This pictures or any graphics for that matter, are textures and mashes and shadow and lightning and whatever, these are not drivers programming.

CGI-Quality said:
JEMC said:

I don't think DX12 has anything to do with how it looks.

The game looks great, no one can deny it, but the recommended specs to play at 1080p@60fps asks for a GTX 970 or a R9 290X, which are quite a lot more powerful than an XboxOne.

DX12 plays a role in the CPU pipeline, which directly links to the game's usage of specific visual elements (as per the info prior to the game's launch). As for why the specs are so much more powerful than the X1, I can only assume it's because it looks a good few steps ahead of that version.

DX12 plays nothing in the CPU pipeline. The CPU pipeline is an architectural thing. I'm a hardware engineer, I design this stuff for a living. No software plays anything in the CPU pipeline.

The reason this game is such a power-hungry game is because DX12 does not end the need for hardware power, which just proves my point above.

Do you know what an API is? I suggest you take a look. DX12 makes it cleaner, easier and faster the connection between the GPU and it's driver. This has nothing to do with the CPU.

With the GPU being less used, it can boost performance, hence why DX12 games are faster.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
JEMC said:

I don't think DX12 has anything to do with how it looks.

The game looks great, no one can deny it, but the recommended specs to play at 1080p@60fps asks for a GTX 970 or a R9 290X, which are quite a lot more powerful than an XboxOne.

DX12 plays a role in the CPU pipeline, which directly links to the game's usage of specific visual elements (as per the info prior to the game's launch). Besides, it's actually built on that API, so it's an appropriate expression.

As for why the specs are so much more powerful than the X1, I can only assume it's because it looks a good few steps ahead of that version.

I know that DX12 is a low level API that so far only allows games to make a better use of CPUs, like Mantle did before it. But again, their recommended specs ask for a i7-3820@3.6GHz, and that's a hell of a CPU that shouldn't need DX12 to run this game.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
CGI-Quality said:

DX12 plays a role in the CPU pipeline, which directly links to the game's usage of specific visual elements (as per the info prior to the game's launch). Besides, it's actually built on that API, so it's an appropriate expression.

As for why the specs are so much more powerful than the X1, I can only assume it's because it looks a good few steps ahead of that version.

I know that DX12 is a low level API that so far only allows games to make a better use of CPUs, like Mantle did before it. But again, their recommended specs ask for a i7-3820@3.6GHz, and that's a hell of a CPU that shouldn't need DX12 to run this game.

Not quite like that.

Suppose your GPU takes 30ms to transfer data between the driver and the software. What DX12(Vulkan and etc) do is that it makes the software talks directly to the GPU, making most drivers functions that have nothing to do with the game, not needed. This way, your GPU is no longer running 100% to take care of that load, it's now running 50%, for example. The others 50% can now boost performance in that app, which makes it runs faster. Not prettier or nicer or anything, but faster. Because there's no need for the GPU to communicate with the driver to handle a bunch of stuff it's not needed.

This takes load of the CPU aswell as some memory address issues, but the API itself has nothing to do with the CPU.

CGI-Quality said:

RACING:

That's not "racing", that's "standing still" while waiting for the start signal. ;)

This is racing:

I've completed 8/12 events so far. It looks an runs great. I had freeze on me once in pre-race loading screen and once during a race for about 5 seconds. Besides that though they did a good job.

Around the Network

AMD Radeon Software 16.5.1 Is Now Available, Optimized For Forza Motorsport 6: APEX

AMD has released a new driver for its graphics cards. According to the release notes, this driver is optimized for Forza Motorsport 6: Apex and offers up to 27% better performance versus Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.2 on AMD Radeon R9 Fury X.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-radeon-software-16-5-1-now-available-optimized-forza-motorsport-6-apex/

Looks really nice, will try out, hope my 670 is enough for 1080p.