By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. May bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Well, most people wanted ice cream. What kind?

Mint-endo Chocolate Chip 18 7.35%

Sonyberry 157 64.08%

Microsoft serve 17 6.94%

Cookies and Dreamcast 19 7.76%

Vanilla 16 6.53%

Organic and pun-free, thank you 18 7.35%

Total:245

9 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#20 PS4 Black Ops III Bundle (down 1)
#55 XB1 1TB Three Game Bundle (down 5)
#61 N3DS Black (down 2)
#74 Vita (up 7)
#90 PS4 Fool's Edition (re-entry)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)
#35 PS4 No Man's Sky (same)
#84 PS4 Star Ocean (up 10)

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Uncharted holding pretty well. Overwatch has fallen behind it already.

GribbleGrunger said:

Oh, I'm not basing the idea of 'versions' from what Shu said, I just included that as an extra piece of the puzzle. I do take your point about AMD but I'm also aware of how some media outlets would want it be seen as a necessity rather than a business choice. We'll see but I really don't see the point in PS5/6/7/9. At some point that cycle will be broken and having finished both UC4 and The Witcher 3, I think technology is far enough along to offer any experience a developer wants to offer. I think we're moving into an era of 'refinements' which negates the need for a fully blown console in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't think tech is expanding to the level it used to when we were able to get 5-7 year console generations. Even with Neo and Scorpio, most games aren't going to look much different, and their impact is going to be limited by the TVs most of us own (4k is getting a decent adoption rate, but I assume most of us still have 1080p TVs, so most of the improvements will come through AA and shadow details and such, which I doubt the average consumer will care much about). The console space, though still strong at the moment, is also declining, bit by bit, with only the success of the ps4 making it look more successful than it is. I don't think consoles are "dying" or any of that sensationalism, but I also think that the typical 5-6 year generations are likely fading out. 

Ariakon said:

Yeah, I don't think tech is expanding to the level it used to when we were able to get 5-7 year console generations. Even with Neo and Scorpio, most games aren't going to look much different, and their impact is going to be limited by the TVs most of us own (4k is getting a decent adoption rate, but I assume most of us still have 1080p TVs, so most of the improvements will come through AA and shadow details and such, which I doubt the average consumer will care much about). The console space, though still strong at the moment, is also declining, bit by bit, with only the success of the ps4 making it look more successful than it is. I don't think consoles are "dying" or any of that sensationalism, but I also think that the typical 5-6 year generations are likely fading out. 

With a console built for increments (Neo/Scorpio) there will no longer be a neccessity for R&D or the lengthy process of design and manufacture. All we'll see are slight design changes to accomodate the extra grunt and perhaps aesthetic changes too. It saves both companies millions. Nobody really looks at UC4 and sees the amount of animations in the scene, apart from the obvious dinamic moments that are designed to make you see like the storm swept beach. Those subtlties are lost on 99% of the audience and will never be as obvious as when we shifted from the PS1 to the PS2. Even resolution is reaching a point at which the detail is pointless. Even our eyes see less detail at distance and more detail as we grow nearer an object. Without it the world would look flat.

We're now at a point where developers need to start thinking about setting, acting, script, characters and let the tech just do it's thing. As Amy Ennig said herself, if you align this industry with film, we are still at the stage when 'talkies' just appeared. We've got a long way to go but it's no longer graphics that need to improve, it's production values and ND are without doubt at the forefront.

The PS5 Exists. 

Uncharted 4 has legs.

Around the Network

7 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#19 PS4 Black Ops III Bundle (up 1)
#54 XB1 1TB Three Game Bundle (up 1)
#58 N3DS Black (up 3)
#93 Vita (down 21)
#100 PS4 Fool's Edition (down 10)

#32 PS4 No Man's Sky (up 3)

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

7 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#19 PS4 Black Ops III Bundle (up 1)
#54 XB1 1TB Three Game Bundle (up 1)
#58 N3DS Black (up 3)
#93 Vita (down 21)
#100 PS4 Fool's Edition (down 10)

#32 PS4 No Man's Sky (up 3)

I'm guessing the XB1 deals are over?

SWORDF1SH said:

It looks like it and it's dropped to #84 now since the last update.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
SWORDF1SH said:

It looks like it and it's dropped to #84 now since the last update.

Will the spike in sales make up for the sales lull afterwards? I wonder if these sales met MS's expectations?

SWORDF1SH said:

Will the spike in sales make up for the sales lull afterwards? I wonder if these sales met MS's expectations?

Whether it did or it didn't, it can only have done damage in the long run, unless MS have a slim coming out in June for a much cheaper price. The problem there is that Sony are likely to have one too or at least a price drop.

The PS5 Exists.