By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the NX be Powerfull?

Will the NX be less powerfull

Nope, more Powerfull then PS4 187 48.32%

It will be between Wii U and Ps4 157 40.57%

It will be less powerfull then Wii U 43 11.11%

Total:387
Ljink96 said:

Edit: Oh, the Wii U version you mean. Still, you're not going to tell me that they'd port Zelda U to a weaker or just as strong console. It simply wouldn't make any sense. That's what got Nintendo Wii U into the 3rd party trouble its in now.

Like I said, they did exactly the same with Hyrule Warriors.

Maybe the NX is that fusion concept (handheld and home console) and will use a modern cheap ARM chip (like snapdragon 810). That would be a little bit weaker as wii u but should be fine running zelda u at lower settings and lower resolution.

It would make sense scince the wii u is just at 13 mio units sold and a big open world zelda title on a handheld would be huge, even with lowered settings.

Around the Network
hoala said:
teigaga said:

N64 and Gamecube were just as cheap as NES and SNES($199). All had good specs, N64 was the most cutting edge but also launched almost 2 years behind the PS1 and without a CD drive. The Gamecube failure was mainly just a result of playstations domination started by the N64's shortcomings, once again reinforced by Gamecube arriving  late, 1 year  after the PS2. 

The NX will launch 3 years after the ps4.

Yep, elaborate?

teigaga said:
hoala said:

The NX will launch 3 years after the ps4.

Yep, elaborate?

Isnt that obvious? If the NX is a tradional console with high power it NEEDS to go in direct competition with the Ps4. And the Ps4 is doing almost as good as the Ps2 right now. So it wouldnt had any chance, even with superior graphics (n64) and better exclusives games (Mario 64, ocarina of time [highest metacritic ever], golden eye, star fox 64, Mario kart 64 und much more).

So nintendo will obviously not do the same mistake again and go in direct competition with Sony. Its way more likely they will make a cheap "android-tv box like" system casuals and ps4 owners could buy (because cheap) to sell their exclusives software then. Games like Mario Kart sold 30 mio on wii.

Its like the gameboy/ds/3ds. People get them even if they own a console because its 1. different and 2. cheap. and 3 have great exclusives (pokemon). The 3ds at wii u´s priece would do just as horrible.

That doesnt work if your console is to expensive (see wii u).

hoala said:
Ljink96 said:

Edit: Oh, the Wii U version you mean. Still, you're not going to tell me that they'd port Zelda U to a weaker or just as strong console. It simply wouldn't make any sense. That's what got Nintendo Wii U into the 3rd party trouble its in now.

Like I said, they did exactly the same with Hyrule Warriors.

Maybe the NX is that fusion concept (handheld and home console) and will use a modern cheap ARM chip (like snapdragon 810). That would be a little bit weaker as wii u but should be fine running zelda u at lower settings and lower resolution.

It would make sense scince the wii u is just at 13 mio units sold and a big open world zelda title on a handheld would be huge, even with lowered settings.

The Hyrule Warriors example isn't connecting. They ported a Wii U game to 3DS with restrictions. You have to dumb down textures, change enemy amount on screen, change framerates and Hyrule Warriors is a relatively simple game in terms of programming. Dynasty Warriors style games most likely use the same style of engine for a while with moderate to severe modding.

My point is, if Nintendo is porting Zelda Wii U to NX, it has to be at least as powerful as the Wii U to produce the same or better graphics. Bringing a handheld into the mix really throws things off because NX has been referred to as a home console for a while now. Since they are porting from home console(wii u) to home console(nx) and don't plan to make it look crappier than the Wii U version( I would kinda hope), the NX must be at least as powerful as Wii U.

Ljink96 said:

The Hyrule Warriors example isn't connecting. They ported a Wii U game to 3DS with restrictions. You have to dumb down textures, change enemy amount on screen, change framerates and Hyrule Warriors is a relatively simple game in terms of programming. Dynasty Warriors style games most likely use the same style of engine for a while with moderate to severe modding.

My point is, if Nintendo is porting Zelda Wii U to NX, it has to be at least as powerful as the Wii U to produce the same or better graphics. Bringing a handheld into the mix really throws things off because NX has been referred to as a home console for a while now. Since they are porting from home console(wii u) to home console(nx) and don't plan to make it look crappier than the Wii U version( I would kinda hope), the NX must be at least as powerful as Wii U.

sources? 

Hints for a handheld:

March release (like previous handhelds)

Midgen (like prev. handhelds)

The NX will obviously not be as weak as the 3ds. It wouldnt be MUCH below the wii u. Zelda U could run almost as good. Maybe it could even be on par in terms of performance.

Around the Network

The wii launched at $250, not $150. As far as the specs of the NX are concerned, I'm not sure how anyone can think it could be weaker than a Wii U. Here are my assumptions and opinions about the possible capabilties of the NX. I feel that the console will at least be as powerful as an Xbox One. The reason I feel this way is because when Square Enix announced Dragon Quest 11, they mentioned an NX port. Now, they COULD be talking about the Hand Held version of the game but I feel very strongly they were referring to the PS4 version of the game because most signs up until now have hinted at the NX being a console(I feel there will also be a hand held that is part of the NX eco-system but I feel that will come later). So, if the PS4 version of Dragon Quest 11 is coming to the NX, that means that the NX should have graphical capabilities comparable to the PS4(give or take) and hopefully using similar architecture(x86) as well.

So, do I think the NX will be powerful? The term powerful has a different meaning depending on the person you ask so to me, I think the console iteration of the NX will be at least powerful enough to handle multiplatform games(such as DQ11) for the next 3-4 years as I don't see the Xbox One or PS4 being replaced until 2018 at the earliest(I mean a complete replacement, not a mid gen upgrade). So, if those two consoles will still be relevant, and the NX is looking to hit Xbox One specs at the minimum as well as have similar architecture, than I feel the NX will be powerful ENOUGH. Take from that what you will.

hoala said:
Ljink96 said:

sources? 

Hints for a handheld:

March release (like previous handhelds)

Midgen (like prev. handhelds)

The NX will obviously not be as weak as the 3ds. It wouldnt be MUCH below the wii u. Zelda U could run almost as good. Maybe it could even be on par in terms of performance.

The patents heavily hint at a home console with supplementary devices. Plus, 3rd parties, Square Enix, plan to port Dragon Quest XI to NX. Don't think they'll port the PS4 version to a handheld.

There'd be no reason for the NX version of Zelda if there wasn't an incentive to get it. There has to be updated performance of some sort. Running at the same performace on a newer console? That's kind of silly. To put things into perspective using Dragon quest again. Dragon Quest Heroes 2 runs on PS4, PS3, and PSV, each has their drawbacks, except for the PS4 version which is graphically and perfromace wise superior to the PS3 and PSV versions. Why release the same game that performs just as good on 2 separate gen consoles? That's not usually how ports work, there's usually incentive. 

hoala said:

If the wii would be as strong AND as expensive as the ps3/xbox 360 im pretty sure they wouldnt had sell 100mio.

The Wii was a success because it was cheap and people thought "150 buck? Fuck it, ill try it".

Thats also the reason why Oculus Rift/HTC vive most likely wont sell much units. They are damn expensive. For 150 bucks, 20x as many people would probl get a VR Headset to "test it".

I don't know why you keep bringing up two VR headsets vs a console from a single company that has mostly sold their consoles for cheap, that and the fact that the other VR headsaet isn't cheap as chips either.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Ljink96 said:
Player2 said:

Nintendo has stated that NX won't be sold at a loss, so no, it won't. Which is a good thing.

The PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One and Wii U and it sold at a profit. You don't need a weak console to be profitable. If NIntendo didn't use the GamePad, the Wii U would have cost 200-250 at launch not 300-350. With today's technology, it's much easier to make a console that's cheap and relatively powerful.

And it launched at 400$, way more than a Nintendo console should.

Even with its good sales and PS+ subscriptions Sony's gaming division profits aren't too high, and Nintendo is aiming for big profits. This means selling as many (of their) games as they can. To achieve this goal both releasing games at a faster pace and reaching a larger amount of customers is the way to go, and a cheaper and weaker console helps in both fronts.

hoala said:

Isnt that obvious? If the NX is a tradional console with high power it NEEDS to go in direct competition with the Ps4. And the Ps4 is doing almost as good as the Ps2 right now. So it wouldnt had any chance, even with superior graphics (n64) and better exclusives games (Mario 64, ocarina of time [highest metacritic ever], golden eye, star fox 64, Mario kart 64 und much more).

So nintendo will obviously not do the same mistake again and go in direct competition with Sony. Its way more likely they will make a cheap "android-tv box like" system casuals and ps4 owners could buy (because cheap) to sell their exclusives software then. Games like Mario Kart sold 30 mio on wii.

Its like the gameboy/ds/3ds. People get them even if they own a console because its 1. different and 2. cheap. and 3 have great exclusives (pokemon). The 3ds at wii u´s priece would do just as horrible.

That doesnt work if your console is to expensive (see wii u).

Well circumstances  are quite different. N64 was never able to equal Playstations support due to its storage medium and the fact that architecture back then was so different. Most games were developed as excluisves, especially from Japanese publishers. who were the industry leaders at the time. This isn't the case today. If N64 came  2 years late but had Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Tekken, things would have been very different and the system would  be far more successful. 

Why would they go this route? Because its a safe linear option and less risky than putting the success of your system in an unproved gimmick (Wii U gamepad).

History has shown secondary consoles are not attractive regardless of price. A strong gimmick is needed. Gamecube was $99 dollars by 2003, perfect price for a secondary console but still  it struggled. The general public are comfortable with 1 console unless something new and desirable is on offer. Nintendo has learned that not every viable gimmick is a successful one, so what will be their selling point? 

An android TV device is very risky imo