By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - When will we have too many humans?

how many humans is considered too many?

5 billion 22 37.29%

6 billion 4 6.78%

7 billion 1 1.69%

8 billion 0 0%

9 billion 3 5.08%

10 billion 11 18.64%

11+ billion 18 30.51%

Total:59

If you would throw every single human being on this planet onto one giant pile, it would be approximately the size of Manhattan. The planet can take a lot more. We just need some more technology. Like fusion reactors for virtually limitless power supply, desalination plants for virtually limitless supplies of water and so on. If we really want to, there wouldn't be a problem doubling the population. Not at all.

Reality isn't so easy of course. But in theory, we are far from some kind of limit.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
SvennoJ said:
What's the smallest community that can get by without murder?
There's the answer.

So.... there is no answer then?

Well, I guess 1 works, although he/she might commit suicide out of loneliness...
Yeah no answer.

Makes you wonder if killing your own species led to a boost of intelligence (out smart, conquer) or if its a by product of intelligence (fear what if, memory holding grudges, revenge)

We're probably too high already. If some world wide disaster does enough damage to the infrastructures of most countries to severely limit water/food and power, people would riot and destroy everything over a loaf of bread.

SvennoJ said:
What's the smallest community that can get by without murder?
There's the answer.

That probably has more to do with a country's culture. Japan is very crowded but they're more law abidding than most of the world. Honestly, they're basically the exception to how humans normally act in crowded conditions though.

We'll most likely be capped at 10 billion but those saying 5 billion is too many probably don't know about how life quality affects populations ...

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Teeqoz said:

Only if we go about with living unsustainably. And actually population growth is already stagnating, so we probably won't grow too much from here. If I remember correctly, the estimate is that we will reach 11Bn by 2050, then decrease down to 9 Bn before 2100 and it'll stabilize at that level.

Nah its already too late to do much about gobal warming. The sea levels will rise the next 100 years going forwards, even if we stopped all polution today.

Its not about trying to live more sustainably now, that times already past.

Our enviroment is going to be differnt 100 years from now, and we ll just have to adapt to liveing in it.

That depends a lot on what you mean by "do much". If we, hypothetically were to stop all greenhouse gas emission today, then the total incurred temperature increase from humans would be just below 2 degrees celsius. If we continue on our current path, the difference is massive (6 degrees celsius) and the difference in consequences is even higher. If we are to go for a realistic estimate, a temperature increase of 4 degrees celsius is pretty reasonable.

barneystinson69 said:
Teeqoz said:

It's probably not the latest estimate, but having rechecked my textbook, it deffinitely said 11Bn by 2050, only for it to decrease to 9Bn by 2100. It's not an old textbook either (made in 2013).

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-the-planet-support-11-billion-people/

It says by the close of the 21st century.

Yes, but like I said, there are several estimates, all "official", from different organizations, neither is correct nor wrong

I'd say 10 billion. Hopefully some people can colonize other planets by then or something.

Now. It's unbearable. Ewwww...