By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the NX outsell the WiiU?

Without knowing much I want you to make a wild guess.

Will it outsell the WiiU?

If so how long will it take?

Annnd how many units are you hoping it will sell LTD?

I know this might seem premature but ill make another thread closer to launch and compare users opinions.

Around the Network

I would hope so, but there's no garuntness in this business. Every Nintendo fan would have said the GameCube would outsell the N64 because it fixed so many of the N64's mistakes ... this isn't how things always pan out. Presumably we are talking about the console NX here.

The audience that bought the Wii U may simply be all that's left of Nintendo's home console audience when you strip away the casuals that bought the Wii for Wii Sports/Fit like experiences and then got tired of them.

If that's the case, and the NX really doesn't have some new appealing hardware gimmick (which is always a gamble at best), then sure it's quite possible the NX can't really go much further than the Wii U.

I think it's very likely for NX to outsell Wii U, Nintendo knows what made the Wii U a failure, the latest statements from Kimishima about having a solid launch lineup prove that, so I think NX will be a moderatedly suxcessful device.
I think after the Wii U a 35/40M LTD would be a great comeback.

IF it's an upgradable device I could see it on the market for over 10 years so in that case it'd sell over 60M IMHO

It's hard to say, since we know nothing about it really, but it would also be hard for Nintendo to fuck up as much as they did with the Wii U so I'm going to say that the NX will outsell the Wii U and I'll go with a relatively safe prediction that it will take about two years to do so. I'll guess about 50 million life time units, just because that's about the minimum that I want it to sell.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

It better do.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

If we remove the temporary Wii craze which brought in an influx of casuals that have since left ...

NES - 62 million
SNES - 49 million
N64 -33 million
GameCube - 22 million
Wii U - 14 million

This is actually a fairly consistent and frightening drop. There's only so many Nintendo faithful left.

Realistically if they could claw back to even 33 million users (N64 levels) for the console

And say 50 million for the portable (down from the 3DS, but not bad considering every damn kid is obsessed with tablet/phone games from birth nowadays).

... that wouldn't be so bad. Nintendo could make a pretty nice profit at those levels considering how competitive the market conditions are nowadays I think they'd take it. Combine that with big profits from smartphone games and Nintendo would be back making "Nintendo like profits" soon enough.

But even this level of performance will require a lot of hard work from Nintendo, a willingness to change bad habits, and probably even on top of that a little luck with new IP or something new.

It can.i mean, I hope it does.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

It'll outsell a lot more than that.

Soundwave said:
If we remove the temporary Wii craze which brought in an influx of casuals that have since left ...

NES - 62 million
SNES - 49 million
N64 -33 million
GameCube - 22 million
Wii U - 14 million

This is actually a fairly consistent and frightening drop. There's only so many Nintendo faithful left.

Thats actually very eye opening.