By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Koei Tecmo confirms development of NX software

Ka-pi96 said:
What's your source? Because it doesn't seem to line up with anything I've seen.Last time I checked selling 30k less than SW4 is very different from 'comfortably outsold' and I'd hardly call the nearly 300k gap between that and SW2 'not that much less'  The PS3 port which was over a year late even outsold it, which was enough to get Koei to make SW3 Empires PS3 exclusive.

And what relevance does Hyrule Warriors have? None. It sold well because of the Zelda name, not because of the type of game it is. The same is true for the good sales of other spinoffs such as One Piece, Gundam and Dragon Quest. Maybe that would mean future Warriors games could sell better on Nintendo platforms in the future, but to bet on that alone rather than releasing there as well as on a platform where you know for sure that you have an existing fanbase would be pretty stupid really.

And musou games were mostly only exclusive to PS up until the end of the 6th gen, but then again there were countless games that were exclusive to PS until then so they're hardly alone in that regard. And seeing as how I've bought the games (often double dipping) on PS, Xbox & PC I would be annoyed at any suggestion to make it exclusive to any platform, this isn't exclusive to Nintendo.

And what's with Nintendo fans refusing to play games unless they are exclusive? Why can't they just be like 'I'd like this game on my console' instead of 'I want this game on my console only so no one else can play it'. It's especially bad if it's a game that is more used to being on other platforms. The only time something like that is acceptable is if the game wouldn't exist otherwise (ie. Bayonetta 2). But when it's just stealing games that would have released on other platforms it's just an incredibly douchey thing to do.

I'm using VGChartz for my numbers. And while they might be a little less accurate for recent titles, they are generally right for older ones. The JP numbers seem to match up pretty well with the numbers in your chart (although your chart also provides a few titles absent from VGChartz, like SW3Z and SW3:XL). What's different is what happened in the west. According to VGChartz numbers (which are probably a little less accurate in this situation, but should still be close to right), the only Samurai Warriors title that outsold the Wii ones in North America was the original game for PS2.

And the relevance of Hyrule Warriors isn't so much the indication of sales potential directly. It's the *existence* of Hyrule Warriors that is significant. It has grabbed a big group of Zelda fans and exposed them to a genre that they probably haven't ever tried before (myself included). NX is a new console. Take Dynasty Warriors fans, add Hyrule Warriors fans, and you might just see strong sales.

By focusing on one platform, they can do three things - optimise for one platform (thus decreasing total dev costs), have exclusive content from the platform owner (Nintendo guest characters, etc), and design the title specifically for the features of the platform (touchscreen for item switching and additional information, thereby keeping a lot of information off the main screen, worked really well in HW, for instance). If they make it multiplatform, then all of these become more difficult.

I didn't say Nintendo fans would refuse to play it if it wasn't exclusive. We're just used to getting bad ports, so we tend to be more skeptical of multiplatform titles. This does not mean that multiplatform titles can't do well - they most certainly can. But they have that extra hurdle to deal with first, of convincing Nintendo fans that it's not an inferior port. And when you're trying to build interest in an IP, you don't want hurdles in the way.

Let me be clear - I'm not saying I want the next main Dynasty Warriors title to be NX exclusive. I'm saying I want an exclusive DW title. Think of it as a parallel release with Dynasty Warriors 9, which is expected for release in 2016. They basically have four choices - ignore Nintendo systems yet again, have the NX release be delayed by something like 4 months (which is another way to annoy Nintendo fans - late ports), delay the game on all platforms, or have an exclusive NX title. I consider the last option to be superior to the others.

And then they can release DW9:XL for NX alongside the release on other platforms, once the fandom on Nintendo platforms has been properly established.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Paatar said:
Atlus also confirmed they are making titles for the NX.

Tokyo Session 2 probably.

Probably.

But I bet you SMT V will be on the NX.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:

Probably.

But I bet you SMT V will be on the NX.

Wouldn't surprise me tbh especially if the is a portable sku.

Could it be that they're working on a Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water port...

Paatar said:

source? oO

Around the Network

Gust are working on a new IP and there a subsidiary of Koei Tecmo could possible be that

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/28/atelier-developer-gust-currently-working-new-ip/

Other than that probably they just going to make a NX copy of there other IP's as they release bringing them to Xbox One, NX and PS4.

Shinun said:
Paatar said:

source? oO

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:
Shinun said:

source? oO

That is a bit of jump in conclusion. 

Sounds good, would be interested in another Warriors game

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]