By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - kotaku - NX delayed to 2017 due to launch games lineup

WTF? They had plenty of time since they're not releasing a lot of games recently XD.

Around the Network

Well worst case would be to repeat Wii U mistakes, so it seems they preparing strong launch lineup for NX.

Super Mario 128 wasn't ready yet... I'll keep on dreaming.

Now, they will also have to divide attention with the PS4K.

fatslob-:O said:
Nuvendil said:

Uh...launch exclusives being baren is pretty common lately.  3DS, Wii U, Xbone, PS4, all had launch lineups that were just "OK".  I think though it's more about compression.  The Wii U's first year had a lot of droughts.  By cutting a couple months off of the NX's first year and building up some games before launch should allow for a greater density of games in 2017.  And it's not like they're development issues this gen have been THAT bad, they just have no 3rd party support of any kind so when they don't make games the Wii U has a big load of nothing to substitute.  

That's where I would strongly disagree and 3rd parties skipping the WII U is not an excuse for Nintendo's poor output since they have much better things to do than to wait for the WII U to get some market share ... 

Nintendo's line up for the WII U over the years has been nothing short of what one would describe as "sparse". WII U owners will own 3 games less than the Gamecube owners despite having the latter being the bigger install base ... 

Nintendo is not even supposed to be struggling as much as the rest of the industry when most of the technical groundwork was already laid out for them ... 

I did not say that 3rd parties was an excuse.  I said it made things APPEAR worse.  Sony's output early on wasn't at all impressive.  Neither was Microsoft's.   The Wii U has in terms of substantial retail releases Nintendo Land, ZombiU, New Super Mario Bros U, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2,  Smash Bros, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Pokken Tournament, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Star Fox Zero, and then Zelda.  That's not counting really small digital entries or those that were received in a particularly negative light.  Also doesn't include games exclusive with no ties to Nintendo, indie or otherwise.  Also not counting Color Splash since that game makes everyone's blood boil.  That's all in 4 full calendar years + the launch.  If the Wii U had third party support, they would be just as well off as Sony or MS and there would be FAR less complaining.  The fact they don't means that the gaps between those are all completely empty.  Hence droughts.  Hence constant complaining.

Around the Network

So, they had HD problems with Wii U and now again with NX, 4 years later.
What a great reassuring way to start your next cycle.

Ka-pi96 said:
I don't really get this. They've had relatively little in the way of 1st party Wii U/3DS releases for the last year, and looks like it will be even less this coming year, so what have they been doing if not making NX games?

Even then, does this suggest there isn't much 3rd party support already? I mean, let's be honest if it was getting full 3rd party support then it wouldn't need much Nintendo 1st party at launch.

4, no, 5 years ago everyone believes the Wii droughts were due to the focus on the successor. You know how that ended.

The reality is that Nintendo can't compete in the current market. At least not with their old ways.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Does it really matter? I mean, when is the last time Nintendo had enough consoles at launch? If the NX comes out over the holidays, it's really only going to benefit scalpers on eBay. Sure, they lose holiday software sales, but they also avoid fighting with EA, Activision, Sony, and Microsoft for prime advertising spots.

pokoko said:
Does it really matter? I mean, when is the last time Nintendo had enough consoles at launch? If the NX comes out over the holidays, it's really only going to benefit scalpers on eBay. Sure, they lose holiday software sales, but they also avoid fighting with EA, Activision, Sony, and Microsoft for prime advertising spots.

3DS and Wii U?

Skipping the holidays is like playing Mario Kart and skipping a free giant booster.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

i want though something more import what exactly comes after the launch you could have a big launch line up but have jack shit for months.

This is good news, it seems they aren't rushing it but want to give it a proper launch. The issue with the Wii U wasn't it launch, it was the months that followed it. They had no games during the first spring which caused a massive drop in sales.By delaying for a couple of months this may be prevented. Of course it will probably affect launch sales a bit, but on the other hand it won't take as long before the next big boost in sales during the holiday season. Wii U had lost all momentum between launch and the following holiday season.

I can see NX launch with both Zelda and a new 3D Mario game. That ought to be get a substansive amount of (Nintendo) 'core' gamers on board.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx