By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Next-Gen games too short? (offline)

El Duderino said:
leo-j said:
Yep, heavenly sword was barely 6 hours, and thats on blu-ray,

I don´t see what Blue-Ray has to do with it... if you put the original Prince of Persia (great game btw) on a Blue-Ray you would still need to finish it in an hour or lose... from what I heard heavenly sword was just missing a few levels to beeing somewhat normal length... I wouldn´t mind playing it but only as a rental...

Im just sayin, sony promised much longer gaming experiences though we are getting shorter games than in the ps2 era, Blu-ray was the reason they said that.

mM
Around the Network
twesterm said:
The problem with making an epic long game is that people usually don't finish those. Anything longer than 10-12 hours for your average non RPG game people just aren't going to finish. So why would people put in the very large extra effort (because even adding an extra hour would be an incredible tast) for something that most people aren't even going to experience?

Well, in today's world of TV and  youtube. ADD is taking over. ;)

You'd think when someone spends 60 bucks on a game, they'd at least make a good attempt to finish the game, thus justify the money they paid for. *sighs*

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
I remember when games used to be no more than 1 hours. Or games without save function, so you have to start from the beginning everytime.

As long as it's high quality game with great storyline, I don't mind if it's between 8-16 hours.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Tales of Symphonia lasts 70+ hours if you do EVERYTHING in the game. I'm still playing Pokemon Diamond (and Pearl, but Diamond at the moment) and have 5 badges, but maxed Poke Dex (used AR, I mainly just train and grind), but around 424 hours.

yea i notice it too many people say its because of the 360's DVD where devs have to limit themselves but then how about oblivion they fit on one disc. i guess that devs are just getting lazy.

Twilight Princess took me about 24 hours and I've done hardly any of the side quests. I'm still playing Galaxy.

Most 360 games are really short.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
El Duderino said:
leo-j said:
Yep, heavenly sword was barely 6 hours, and thats on blu-ray,

I don´t see what Blue-Ray has to do with it... if you put the original Prince of Persia (great game btw) on a Blue-Ray you would still need to finish it in an hour or lose... from what I heard heavenly sword was just missing a few levels to beeing somewhat normal length... I wouldn´t mind playing it but only as a rental...

Im just sayin, sony promised much longer gaming experiences though we are getting shorter games than in the ps2 era, Blu-ray was the reason they said that.

I think Sony was just boasting the possibilities of Blu-Ray... not without a reason, devs could make games of almost endless length... but just because you can make longer games doesn´t mean devs will... sure its better to have a huge game on one disc and not four like Lost Odyssey but I think devs will make games as long as they intend them to be regardless of what the medium can handle...

I think for action games it has more to do with the average difficulty level in games being easier now. Battletoads, Contra, Ghost 'n Goblins, etc, would have been much shorter games to the average person if they had today's average difficulty level.

Well certain genres are supposed to have short single player modes. That's why they have intricate multiplayer modes.

But unfortunately I think too many devs are using that as an excuse to make a subpar single player mode. Let's look at Gears of War for example. Stereotypical storyline, extremely short, no reason to replay single player, gameplay is nothing new, and overall the lack of originality is apparent. Dev took no time in thinking about the storyline. Really it looks like they had created a game to run a certain engine and be ready for online multiplayer and then at the last moment put single player in. This is where devs need to think about their games again. Single player needs to be put back on a pedestal instead of the backburner for all games. I don't care if its short, just needs to be worthwhile.

I think it's because your not playing games right.......

Games are ALOT longer now than they were.

Call of Duty 4 might be 10hrs, but how long was Doom? I think, if I played it all the way through, it might of been 7-8hrs.

Mass Effect is much longer than 15hrs if you actually pay attention to the story, and enjoy the game. I'm 70+hrs into mine, and it's still fresh.

Oblivion is 100+hrs for just the vanilla game. SI + Expansions add another 50hrs.

So there are plenty of great, long, single player games. The issue is that your conceptions of what makes Single Player long are rather weak. Goldeneye wasn't very long - most levels were 10-20 minutes long, and there were 24 levels.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
I think it's because your not playing games right.......

Games are ALOT longer now than they were.

Call of Duty 4 might be 10hrs, but how long was Doom? I think, if I played it all the way through, it might of been 7-8hrs.

Mass Effect is much longer than 15hrs if you actually pay attention to the story, and enjoy the game. I'm 70+hrs into mine, and it's still fresh.

Oblivion is 100+hrs for just the vanilla game. SI + Expansions add another 50hrs.

So there are plenty of great, long, single player games. The issue is that your conceptions of what makes Single Player long are rather weak. Goldeneye wasn't very long - most levels were 10-20 minutes long, and there were 24 levels.

Oh this is appropriate.  Tell people they aren't doing something right then tell them games of old are actually not what they think.  That's how you prove a point and definetly don't get into an arguement.

Of course COD4, Doom, and Goldeneye 007 wasn't long.  But were they fun to play through.  Yes.  It's alright if a storyline is short.  As long as it's good I don't care.  But it's when it is short and not good that I have a problem.  Games such as Gears of War, Halo 3, and almost every stereotypical shooter since Halo 1.  I'm pretty fucking tired of devs saying hey you don't want to play the singler player you just want a game that looks good and plays online.  Ya know maybe for once I actually want an interesting storyline for a shooter, such as Metroid Prime or Bioshock(I liked the storyline in it).  Instead devs keep putting the single player on the backburner and its really making me angry.  And yet we praise these kinda games.  We give games like Gears and Halo 3 and Resistance good reviews and praise.  It's destructive to our own wants.

Now not all genres are falling like the shooter genre, but there are a few that are going its way, including RPG's and party games.