By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Next-Gen games too short? (offline)

mrstickball said:
Happy - and many games are still 20-40hrs if you want to get all the goodies. Kameo was about that long too.

There are still some games that have that length of gameplay but they're far less common than they used to be ...

The N64, which had a library similar in size to what the XBox 360 currently has, had several games released every year that had very long (40+ hour) single player campaigns.

Around the Network

@ Dogweed
They could fit oblivion for basically 2 probable reasons
1) compression technology
2) repetitive environments

Griffin said:
EggsWithLegs said:

This question occured to me today after finishing the main story on Mass Effect. Took me the bones of 15hours on my first place through. Did around 10 side quests too...dead a few times and still it only took 15hours. COD4 took less then 10hours to complete. To be honest I feel slightly cheated out of my €'s. Gears of War and Halo3 also spring to mind.

I'm not a particular fan of replaying the game either. I play games for the story and playing it a second time is repetitive imo.

What do ye think?

You must of skipped through most of mass effect, most people that i know it took 30-40 hours the first time, then they went back to beat it on the hardest level, and played the story an entire different way.

CoD4 my first time took about 5hours on easy, but the story was so fun i want back and played it again and again and beat most of the game on veteran now, plus you get arcade mode after you beat it. Then you have one of the best online games ever to hit a console, the same thing can be said for halo3, There are people on CoD4 with over 35 days of online play.

I finished Mass Effect in just 13 hours, and I wasn't rushing. Anyone who takes 30-40 hours to complete the game is either retarded, or is not good at games but is trying to do every single quest in ME. It was a disappointment Mass Effect was so short.

thekitchensink said:
Zucas said:
Well certain genres are supposed to have short single player modes. That's why they have intricate multiplayer modes.

But unfortunately I think too many devs are using that as an excuse to make a subpar single player mode. Let's look at Gears of War for example. Stereotypical storyline, extremely short, no reason to replay single player, gameplay is nothing new, and overall the lack of originality is apparent. Dev took no time in thinking about the storyline. Really it looks like they had created a game to run a certain engine and be ready for online multiplayer and then at the last moment put single player in. This is where devs need to think about their games again. Single player needs to be put back on a pedestal instead of the backburner for all games. I don't care if its short, just needs to be worthwhile.

Excuse me, but did you just say there is nothing new, gameplaywise, in Gears of War?

Yep and I'll say it every moment without regret.  Gears of War was easily the most unoriginal and stereotypical game I have not only ever seen but played.  I mean for all the hype and good reviews it got I still to this day say why.

Yea and if you want to tell me something that was actually new gameplay wise fill me in cause you know there wasn't.