By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is NX off to a bad start? Destined to flop? or just a slow starter?

How will NX sell when it launches?

Hot cakes baby! 40 18.02%

Slow starter, but sales pick up fast! 35 15.77%

Sales wise, its launch will match the Wii Us. 41 18.47%

wtf nintendo? no E3 revea... 106 47.75%

Total:222
Miyamotoo said:
Kimishima: No NX this holiday to ensure proper lineup
http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-no-nx-this-holiday-to-ensure-proper-lineup-not-just-a-wii-u-3ds-successor/

Nice. I don't see the delay as a bad thing.  They must have a good launch line up and not only that, but mid-big games throughout the whole year. This delay may guarantee that, plus more time to fix hardware/OS issues.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Launch -> hotcake just like Wii U did.

But post launch -> failure just like Wii U (unless it hasn't some strange controller and it's powerful, thing that i doubt).

KLAMarine said:
Turkish said:

It's simple: If Nintendo was confident about the console and its line-up they would launch during the holidays. A March launch says they're scared of the competition and limits it to the hardcore Nintendo fanbase (who'd buy it any time of the year) as the mainstream would've spent their money months prior.

Skipping holiday suggests to me they're not going all in, thing won't even be at E3. Sounds like really bad news.

Or maybe the hardware just isn't ready development-wise and Nintendo needs more time to work out any potential kinks?

I'd much rather Nintendo release a functional console than rush it out for the holidays.

Turkish is right actually

People tend to spend their money on black friday, holidays... Not everyone will open their wallets just like that, 3 months after Xmas

Ostro said:

I don't understand why most people (who shout out on the net) are upset about the date.

Nintendo avoids or might avoid:
- rushing the thing to be ready in time for Christmas
- lots of people being disappointed with a weak launch line-up/first 6 months because games aren't ready
- an insanely huge first day system update
- too many users signing in during the first few days of the NX and the new online network making it crash and people being upset
and hasn't talked about the NX at all so people don't know anything about it, there wasn't even a date before.

Delaying the date doesn't ensure any of those (except not rushing for Chrismas).

- They may still be rushing to be in time for next Spring.
- They may still have a weak launch line-up
- They may still have a huge day one system update
- They may still have a lot of users signing on in the first few days (this is a good thing)

My 8th gen collection

Zelda NX as one of the most popular launch titles ever on a console, other launch titles we don't know about, and it will be dropping at a time when all the Sony holiday hype dies down.

Furthermore this will give them more time to build a bigger library of games for people waiting till holiday 2017. It is unorthodox for sure, but there are some advantages to it as well. I am getting it day one if Zelda NX is a launch title, because having the best version of that game is a must for me. What I don't like is how the WiiU will have another barren holiday before the NX drops. It is like they are dropping off the map just to jump back on it later.

We can only wait and see. At this point everything outside the launch window and that Zelda will also be on NX is still speculation.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

For me, it's going to depend on the controller. As long as they get away from the idiocracy, that is the gamepad, i'll most likely buy it.

KLAMarine said:
Turkish said:

It's simple: If Nintendo was confident about the console and its line-up they would launch during the holidays. A March launch says they're scared of the competition and limits it to the hardcore Nintendo fanbase (who'd buy it any time of the year) as the mainstream would've spent their money months prior.

Skipping holiday suggests to me they're not going all in, thing won't even be at E3. Sounds like really bad news.

Or maybe the hardware just isn't ready development-wise and Nintendo needs more time to work out any potential kinks?

I'd much rather Nintendo release a functional console than rush it out for the holidays.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

"When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX." - Kotaku

^ sounds like the issue is the Software & games lineup nintendo is working on.

They just arnt ready for a holiday launch.

lonerism said:
KLAMarine said:

Turkish is right actually

People tend to spend their money on black friday, holidays... Not everyone will open their wallets just like that, 3 months after Xmas

Didn't say Turkish was wrong.

JRPGfan said:
KLAMarine said:

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

"When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX." - Kotaku

^ sounds like the issue is the Software & games lineup nintendo is working on.

They just arnt ready for a holiday launch.

A console with no games is a major kink if you ask me.

Given I know nothing (specs, price, games, etc.) about the system hard to say.

I think going to March won't affect initial launch sales because of the built in fanbase Nintendo has. The concern is after the first month or so will the system fade in the Summer creating concerns about user base quickly.