By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which Will Be The First Game To Have 2 One Million Weeks?

While looking through Japan's totals, I noticed something very amazing:

There was actually once a game that sold over 1 million copies two weeks in a row. That game is, of course, Dragon Quest VII (Playstation). There may be another, but I haven't found it yet. Of course, data for America and Europe doesn't stretch back very far, so I don't exactly know, but it's the only charted game to have achieved it. Heck, even Wii Sports hasn't achieved it, and it's a bundle!

Which begs the question...

Do you think there will ever be another game that will sell, in any one territory, more than one million copies two weeks in a row?

I think the second game to do it will be Dragon Quest IX for the DS.

-Edit: Dangit, I meant to put second game! 

Around the Network

hmmmmm...

can't say..

Monster Hunter 3 maybe

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Wow... one million two weeks in a row is quite amazing... if games like Brawl, Halo and GTA4 can´t make it I don´t think any other can... btw: would GTA4 count for both versions ??? even if, I don´t think it will make it...

What userbase did the Playstation have with Dragon Quest VII ??? 

I reckon only GTA IV has a chance and thats PS3 & 360 sales combined

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

hmmm, I don't think any game will.

FFXIII will sell over 1 million easily, but there's no way it will make 2 weeks in a row. Don't think DQIX will either. It will sell 1-2 million first week and around 500k second (at most).

Frankly, I think it was once a lifetime thing. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
El Duderino said:

Wow... one million two weeks in a row is quite amazing... if games like Brawl, Halo and GTA4 can´t make it I don´t think any other can... btw: would GTA4 count for both versions ??? even if, I don´t think it will make it...

What userbase did the Playstation have with Dragon Quest VII ???

At the launch of Dragon Quest VII, the userbase for the Playstation in Japan was approximately 17 million.

^^ thats not as much as I expected... in one or two years time a Wii game should be able to break that record... if Nintendo ever gets its act together and release all games worldwide... in Japan only that will be almost imposible to beat...

I also think Dragon Quest IX will do it.

Dragon Quest IX or Monster Hunter 3 both have a shot, methinks.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

If the Wii sees another main Mario game a few years down the road, then I'd expect the larger userbase and the good will Galaxy earned after Sunshine might make it that kind of game.

I'd say GT 5 if it came out at a time when the userbase was larger...

Actually, the most likely double mill would be some sort of Wii title that comes out in Japan a year or two from now. Of course what that is is unknown, but I'm sure Nintendo is working on something else that could set Japan on fire again.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.