By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Minecraft or Warcraft, Whats more successful?

Tagged games:

Whats a more successful game?

Minecraft 31 40.26%

World of Warcraft 46 59.74%

Total:77

As someone who loves both these games, it’s fair to say that there both juggernauts in there categories, both offer very similar names and are both extremely popular with their fans. Which one is a more successful franchise? World of Warcraft came from the already heavily successful series of Warcraft which are some of the best RTS games you could play. It’s also clear Warcraft is a lot more flexible to produce more games like sequels and spinoffs while its income from subscribers alone is in another league even compared to GTA with its paid subscription model and user base. Minecraft has a good advantage of being accessible to many platforms including PC and has a much stronger appeal to juniors and schools. Its art direction launched the indie market and its level of creation is top of the line. Both WoW and MC set the bench mark for there categories, where many developers have tried to dethrone these games and failed. There is also many WoW and MC clones available on the market.

Which is more successful franchise?

World of Warcraft with 5.5 million subscribers as of the beginning of November 2015, World of Warcraft is currently the world's most-subscribed MMORPG, and holds the Guinness World Record for the most popular MMORPG by subscribers. Having grossed over 10 billion dollars as of July 2012, it is also the highest grossing video game of all time. In January 2014, it was announced that more than 100 million accounts had been created over the game's lifetime.

Minecraft received five awards during the 2011 Game Developers Conference. Of the Game Developers Choice Awards, it won the Innovation Award, Best Downloadable Game Award, and Best Debut Game Award; from the Independent Games Festival, it won the Audience Award and the Seumas McNally Grand Prize. In 2012, Minecraft was awarded a Golden Joystick Award in the category Best Downloadable Game. As of June 2015, over 70 million copies had been sold, including 20 million between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, 30 million mobile game downloads, and 20 million on PC, making it the best-selling PC game to date and the third best-selling video game of all time

Around the Network

lol...

WoW, not even close.

Both.

Its hard to compare both, because not only they are from different genres, but each popularized each genre almost by itself.Not only that, while Minecraft sales numbers are highers, WOW has managed to have millions of active subscribers for more than 1 decade.So both are successful equally in my opinion

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Minecraft or minesweeper!!

well minecraft have probl more copies sold, but wow has a looong sucessfull subscription model. All in all wow is far more successfull/profitable imo.

Minecrafts sells at 5-20 (wii u 30) € once. Even if the say 15€ in average by 70mio sold copies thats "just" 1050 Mio.

Wow has an average of like 7-8 Mio Subscriber (started with 10+, now is as 5-6) which pays every month 10€ (120€/year) for the game. And thats scince like 10 years. All in all WOW has easily sold 30-40mio game copies + payed addons.
Calculate all that this will be like: 7mio (average subscribers) x 120 (Subscribtion/year) x 10 (years) = 8400 Mio + 30 Mio (users who bought the game) x 100€ (average price a user paid for WOW game + Addons) = 11400 Mio

So all in all Blizzard probl did estiamted around 10x as many cash as Mojang did with Minecraft so far. Development costs could probl be higher for Blizzard (alltough Minecraft supports a tons of plattforms = high development costs as well).

So WOW is for sure more successfull. Its most likely the most successfull game ever made (in terms of profitable).

Around the Network

Tbh, I have no freakin clue...however, I didn't just spend $814 on 4 tickets to MinecraftCon. :)

WoW.
The fact that a game is so popular that millions people are willing to pay $15/$14/$13 a month (based on if they buy a 1 month, 3 month or 6 month subscription) is insane, especially since there's a $20 up front cost. And even then there's still plenty of people who are willing to pay another load of money for expansions and other stuff.

I think WoW, considering its subscription cost, has been more lucrative. I think, anyways.

poklane said:
WoW.
The fact that a game is so popular that millions people are willing to pay $15/$14/$13 a month (based on if they buy a 1 month, 3 month or 6 month subscription) is insane, especially since there's a $20 up front cost. And even then there's still plenty of people who are willing to pay another load of money for expansions and other stuff.

Nevermind the people who spend $70-$90 for Collectors Editions (I've gotten CE's of all WoW expansions and Legion CE preordered...and Overwatch) of those expansions, or any of the cosmetic items you can purchase on the blizzard store (I've gotten none of these, but I know people who literally buy every cosmetic WoW item).  And I don't know how much money Blizzard makes off of Blizzcon, but, this'll be my 3rd year in a row heh.

That's not even a fair comparison. Wow has over a decade on Minecraft.