By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else really dislike Star Fox Zero so far? -edit- People are rigging the poll!

Love it or not

Not 123 21.24%

In love 126 21.76%

I blindly love all nintendo does 35 6.04%

so so 60 10.36%

other 17 2.94%

see results 218 37.65%

Total:579
bonzobanana said:
Seems like a rare Nintendo game that will drop in price rapidly as it seems like a game few will keep and after a few generations of secondhand copies I think the price will be very low. Could be wrong but I'm not hearing much positive about it. The range here seems to be from hate to ok and not much beyond.

I was looking forward to the game but the reviews and comments are a killer. It's now just merely a game I'd like to play at some point rather than being motivated to get quickly.

Maybe the reason Nintendo are throwing out half-baked games is all the real work is being done on an amazing NX launch line up. Here's hoping.

its a Star Fox shooting game. It will never be that cheap. Just as an example, Star Fox Assault for the Gamecube is a similarly mehhhh Star Fox game and the copies aren't magically really cheap because of that

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Yeah, some people are going to try to justify this by saying it's some kind of throw-back game, that it's supposed to be limited, but Star Fox really deserved a lot more.  Why not bring it forward and do something big and interesting with it?  

I see nothing intrinsically wrong with a game being a throwback. God knows we have enough dead serious cutting cinematic blockbusters to go around. It's a nice change of pace to play something old school and whacky in my opinion. If you ask me, it's throwing back to a time when games were, on average, better than they are today. Certainly less cynical and unimaginative.

Could Starfox Zero have been better? Absolutely. But it should remain true to what it is supposed to be; a vehicular arcade shooter inspired by the likes of Thunderbirds and the original Star Wars trilogy. It doesn't need to try to be Mass Effect or No Man's Sky, those games already exist for those who want them.

curl-6 said:
pokoko said:

Yeah, some people are going to try to justify this by saying it's some kind of throw-back game, that it's supposed to be limited, but Star Fox really deserved a lot more.  Why not bring it forward and do something big and interesting with it?  

I see nothing intrinsically wrong with a game being a throwback. God knows we have enough dead serious cutting cinematic blockbusters to go around. It's a nice change of pace to play something old school and whacky in my opinion. If you ask me, it's throwing back to a time when games were, on average, better than they are today. Certainly less cynical and unimaginative.

Could Starfox Zero have been better? Absolutely. But it should remain true to what it is supposed to be; a vehicular arcade shooter inspired by the likes of Thunderbirds and the original Star Wars trilogy. It doesn't need to try to be Mass Effect or No Man's Sky, those games already exist for those who want them.

"Yeah, some people are going to try to justify this by saying it's some kind of throw-back game"

That's what I said.  Not that throwback games are inherently bad but that people use the term to defend something that is lacking in effort and ambition.  Also, in no way does making Star Fox into a stronger IP mean that it has to be "serious cutting cinematic".  Those two things are entirely separate.  Just look at Insomniac's success with the new Ratchet & Clank.  They brought the IP forward and lost nothing of the charm.

Just needed to support a different control scheme and I would have been on-board all the way, let me play with a more "classic" controller. :/
Hoping a port to the NX with a revised controller scheme get's done now... Otherwise my hopes lay with Emulation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

pokoko said:
curl-6 said:

"Yeah, some people are going to try to justify this by saying it's some kind of throw-back game"

That's what I said.  Not that throwback games are inherently bad but that people use the term to defend something that is lacking in effort and ambition.  Also, in no way does making Star Fox into a stronger IP mean that it has to be "serious cutting cinematic".  Those two things are entirely separate.  Just look at Insomniac's success with the new Ratchet & Clank.  They brought the IP forward and lost nothing of the charm.

I don't really think it is lacking effort though. The reason it looks cheap is because it's drawing two separate viewpoints with a 60fps target. It's not laziness, they didn't make the models blocky they couldn't be bothered adding more polygons, the game's design meant they had to work within the confines of a restrictive rendering budget.

The dual perspective may have been a misguided design choice, but it likely took considerable effort to get it running as well as it does on hardware only slightly more capable than PS3/360. It's close to 900p worth of pixels, in what's basically constant splitscreen, in a game where firefights can fill both viewpoints with performance-sapping alpha effects. If the game had lacked effort, it would have run at 30fps and below.

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
hershel_layton said:
Eh, hearing the bad reviews, I'm going to let my first starfox game by Starfox 64 3D. It's only 10-20 bucks now.

where have you seen Starfox 3D (3DS) for 10-20$? the loose cartridge alone is like 30$ everywhere online, complete like 50$. I think they stopped manufacturing the game or something (like Kid Icarus and Ocarina of Time 3D) as the price has stayed up

sad to hear about the reviews.

not totally shocked though, enough of the weird controls Nintendo! also as soon as I heard this would be a remake of the N64 franchise making title, I knew they had went the wrong route. Should have made a complete new experience. the N64 game is still insanely replayable and controls great. They prepared themselves for failure by making a better looking game than the old one that controls worse. just strange 

The original seems pretty high. Get the Nintendo Selects edition though, it's extremely low.

Also, pretty weird. I saw the box version a month ago in this local game store- 34.99. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

pokoko said:
The_BlackHeart__ said:

How is that the company with the best intellectual properties has the worst developers?

How is it possible that a game like The Last of Us exists on PS3, while a console with better expects like the Wii U still delivers PS2 graphics?

Nintendo needs to hire new developers if they want the NX to success.

I wouldn't judge the potential of the developers on Star Fox.  This seems to be a game that was sent out just to fill a spot and to keep a massive dead zone from forming in the release schedule.  Star Fox was likely built with a limited budget.

If anything, I'd lay most of the responsibility on management.  It seems like there was no ambition behind this and that's a real shame.  Yeah, some people are going to try to justify this by saying it's some kind of throw-back game, that it's supposed to be limited, but Star Fox really deserved a lot more.  Why not bring it forward and do something big and interesting with it?  

Mass Effect Star Fox still sounds like the best idea that will never exist that I've come up with.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

played it at my friends house. Its ok, the controls are dumb. having to look at the gamepad then look back at the screen is stupid, i thought Ninty was over trying to sell people on the pad. The walker is ok, the hovercraft is stupid.

spurgeonryan said:

At first glance it looks like they just made this the HD version of Star Fox 64, just with some level changes here and there. That is fine, no problem with trying to copy perfection. But then we get to the excitement of the original, which this does not seem to have.

1. What is this? Everyhing is sooooo slow! Enemy ships hover around like they are trappd in syrup. Flying around the second sector fees like the main point of the level is to test your patience waiting to get to the end. I thought I won the game when I finally made it to tne last ship in the debri field. 

But that was not the end, and sadly I think only the begining of a tedious game, did I hear that the director quit or moved on? No wonder! His name will be linked to this forever. How do you get this so wrong?

2. Controls. Everyone has talked about it for months, is it a surprise? It really gets bad with the horrendous walker mode, but that was not the start. It started when I had to slowly take out maybe a dozen Snes era looking spiders before they ate the general that looks somewhat like a dog in the first tedious level. Motion control was an idea that must have been thought up in one of Miyamotos nightmares as a child. Done terribly in this game and sadly the only hope of even finishing this game or having any enjoyment with it. If I do not spend hours mastering these horrible controls then this 62 dollar purchase will be wasted. When we talk about difficult controls we think of the last Kid Icarus game. Right?

But this is on a whole other level. There is no technical learning curve, just a learning curve in dealing with poor control design. I know they wanted to bring back the spirit of the N64, but poor controls could have stayed in the past.

I hope I grow to enjoy this game, but so far, besides the cute characters and actually decent visuals in most cases, I do not enjoy it.

Please Star Fox do a barrel roll and shake off the FUNK!

Been a while, so let me be blunt.  Spurgeonryan, nice to see you're as opinioned and a pain in my ass and everyone elses as always.  

You can do 1 of two things(at least the most likely of what everyone else does).

A.  Give away the game( either trade with a friend, sell through some company initiatives like gamestop trade-ins or however you want to get rid of it.)

B.  Master the game controls, be the best of everyone and take leaderboard.

***C. Hate yourself for getting the digital version.

But either way, as a gamer, if you bought this game, you already knew the risk.  The game to me(and trust me, I've played since SNES) is a welcomed iteration no matter how it deviates.  Certainly not perfect, but I'm glad it's around. Haters!!!

Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:
Just needed to support a different control scheme and I would have been on-board all the way, let me play with a more "classic" controller. :/
Hoping a port to the NX with a revised controller scheme get's done now... Otherwise my hopes lay with Emulation.

The game was done in mind with the Gamepad. You can't just throw the Pro Controller by delfault like that.

Not saying by default. But it wouldn't hurt to have the option would it? Nor would it be difficult.

Could still be patched in, although I doubt it to ever be the case.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--