By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Framerates: How low is too low?

Tagged games:

When does a framerate become unacceptable to you?

25fps 109 36.21%

20fps 94 31.23%

15fps 39 12.96%

30fps is already too low 59 19.60%

Total:301

To your eyes, at what point does a framerate become unpleasant and just plain not good enough?

Around the Network

30 FPS looks so weird to my eyes now after getting so used to 60 FPS, so yeah.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Depends. A game of checkers on "Windows games" can reach 1 frame per second and I won't care. Why? Because the pieces moves...in one frame. So it won't make much of a difference.

Now, let's say you're playing a game such as Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright. I won't really care if it's 30 or 60, as either way the difference won't be that big.

Concerning games such as Xenoblade, Halo, and so on, I don't see why they should be below 30. All intense games should aim for 60 fps(or 30 fps locked. Consistency matters most).

I've never cared much for framerate. It's only when it's to the point where it feels like the images are stuttering when I'll say something about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Below 30 fps starts to be very annoying. And going back and forth between 30 and 60 fps also bothers me (MK8 multiplayer comes to mind).

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Frequent drops below 30 are annoying but if it happens very rarely and only a few frames for a split second then i dont mind.

Recent game Dark Souls 3 is pushing this very very close. Its dropping all the time and im starting to notice, its much worse then BB ever was.

Around the Network

Anything below 30 fps.

locked 30fps, can not tolerate variable 30fps. Although I still remember playing Morrowind on my PC ten years ago with 15-20 fps and thinking that I didn't notice it. Time sure change.

I feel like developers sing "how low can you go?" as their games reach frames as low as 10...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Anything below 20 fps. I didn't understand how great Ocarina of Time was until the 3DS port forced it to be 30 fps outside of a few battles.

Developers should ALWAYS aim for a stable 30FPS is a philosophy they should hold ...

Going in more technical the lowest 1 percent of the frame times should NOT average less than 27FPS for what I would consider to be an acceptable performance ...

Good frame times should be a requirement too. None of this repeating from 16ms to 50ms frame time bullshit too despite delivering a 30FPS average ...