By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will There Be A PlayStation 5? Sony Is Unsure: 'It's An If'

SonytendoAmiibo said:
ZahaDoom said:
Sony has lost its way, sounds like they hired some Ex-Microsoft employees to float ideas for them.

They are making a huge huge mistake thinking they are going to head down the mobile road. The two businesses are not even remotely the same.

Sounds like Sony got ahead in the race and is throwing in the towel before they are even half done the generation.

Sell your SONY stock now people, it's about to slide off a cliff. I thought with psvr they would be climbing but they just killed it and the ps4 in one swoop.

I have the PSVR bundle on pre order. I was barely justifying the $499 cost because it was going to be the OPTIMAL console VR experience. Now I find out that I will get the second string console experience because I have no plans to upgrade to a PS4K. $499 for a lesser experience is too expensive for me.

If Nintendo knocks my socks off at E3 I will probably cancel the PSVR and pre order the NX. 

I have the PSVR bundle on order $790 TAX included,  I will also wait till E3 before I decide, but if the ps4k is revealed I will cancel and proceed to build a new VR capable PC and get the Vive.

Around the Network

This is pretty obvious at this point.

Xxain said:
I think everybody saw this coming. PS NOW is like beta for this.

No it's not. 

PS4 neo is the beta for this. 

And I called it. though this article doesn't mean anything. I do think we will not see a PS5 in the traditional sense. just upgrades that come every 3-4yrs. 

Sony January 2013: "We'll let Microsoft take the first step to announce the new gen"
Sony February 2013: "Introducing PS4"

Of course there's gonna be a PS5. Technology is changing fast but it's not changing fast enough for there to be a ground breaking change in 3 years in how we consume entertainment. Comparing 2013 vs 2016 not much has changed really.

Ruler said:

The interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcqKAKpuyjw&feature=youtu.be&t=2654

my theory
- BC forever 
- new better hardware every 4 years
- rebranding PS4 to PlayStation (PS) eventually 

Assuming they would call Playstation [year] model, like a car or Apple's Macbook Pro. But hey, it's just a theory.

Around the Network

If this is true, Nintendo has to be drooling at the thought of having the entire physical console market to themselves once more. The amount of people willing to stream 100% of their video games is so small that there would by a mass exodus from the PS brand if they went streaming only.

I would be fine with either:

A) Backwards & forward compatible systems with a new version every 3 years
or
B) Streaming service

I mean, if we had another normal 5 to 6 year generation, I wouldn't be against that either. I just believe technology moves rather quickly & it would be a waste not to utilize it more frequently. (then again, I'm pretty content with Wii U+ level graphics at the moment anyway)

[] [] [] {} [] 

AlfredoTurkey said:
If this is true, Nintendo has to be drooling at the thought of having the entire physical console market to themselves once more. The amount of people willing to stream 100% of their video games is so small that there would by a mass exodus from the PS brand if they went streaming only.

lol. saying there may not be a PS5 doesn't mean it's gonna be streaming. 

Over the next 15 years we can see 5 PlayStation "4" revisions. each one being significantly more powerful than the previous one. But as I have said before, just probably never gonna see a console that is so far ahead that software made for it simply can't run on any previous hardware. 

Think of it this way, by the time FF18 comes along, you will probably still be able to play it on the same PS4 we have today but at 720p@30fps with all presets set to low. But you could have also bought the latest iteration of a PlayStation console around that time and be able to play the same game on there but at 4k@60fps. 

That console doesn't have to be called PlayStation 5. 

When Sony officially announces the Playstation neo.... if it's just called "PlayStation" then everything I am suspecting to happen would pretty much be confirmed. 

It's definitely coming. They aren't going to talk about right before launching a new PS4 sku. That would be stupid as all hell.

Told you guys here many times.

The age of consoles is nearing its end.

Comcast in the US has ways to take standard coaxial/cable connections and increase the speed massively, this tech is spreading in Japan too. In 5-10 years I believe most of us will have ultra high speed internet and competetion will push the price down for that quickly too.

Threatened by Google Fiber, Comcast has responded with ultra high speed.

Once these higher speed connections are common place, streaming video games is going to become the standard.

Oh and by the way Sony is one of the ISPs in Japan that already offers ultra high speed internet ... so they probably know this better than anyone.