By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4K the Hardware bargain of this Decade? 4K Blu Ray Player alone cost 400$

bigtakilla said:
craighopkins said:

upscaling to 4k doesnt come close to a 4k blueray with HDR10 or Dolby Vision

And we're assuming PS4k will do that because?

Thats what the Thread is about. a 4k Bluray player for 400 is the thread. The TS isnt talking about upscaling to 4k

Around the Network
craighopkins said:
bigtakilla said:

And we're assuming PS4k will do that because?

Thats what the Thread is about. a 4k Bluray player for 400 is the thread. The TS isnt talking about upscaling to 4k

Okay, so we are just guessing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sonys-plan-for-playstation-4k-neo-revealed

"There are no indications of any changes to the Blu-ray drive."

TallSilhouette said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sonys-plan-for-playstation-4k-neo-revealed

"There are no indications of any changes to the Blu-ray drive."

Exactly, chances are other than streaming, it will all be upscaled 4k. 

The console does not play games in TRUE 4k, it upscales games running at 1080p to 4k, not to mention only SOME games may be able to take advantage of 4K output. I dont think it can play 4K discs 

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
craighopkins said:

Okay, so we are just guessing.

as long as there is nothing official we can do nothing else but guess.

Hunting Season is done...

teigaga said:
ZahaDoom said:
4k content is doomed because of Internet greedy Internet providers and the ridiculous cost of data, at least in my Country.

Streaming 4k content is not really feasible or cost effective for about 99% of the population. And that's going forward another 5 years at least.

Unless data providers are going to have some sort of change of heart. This is a business so who are we kidding.

4k adoption is a dream, the public is not in a financial position, most 4k sets have been sold to people who had to upgrade and we're just future proofing themselves.

4k adoption is Inevitable and most premium TV sets in 2016 will be 4k. More people owned 4k TVs in America last year, then there were people who owned HD TVs in 2005. The adoption of media will be very slower (upscalling will be marketed as a solution), but the adoption of TV  is procedes the actual media.

you're off on that, a huge amount of the American population and population elsewhere aren't even familiar with what 4K is at this point. Bear in mind there is a massive amount of the general consumer popluation (this is everywhere) is still uses DVDs regularly and doesn't seem to really care about the upscaling of visuals (it is true that at some point the human eye just can't detect the differences that dramatically ), at this point DVD sales still out perform Bluray

I suppose my point is that immediate adoption of newer technology, whether media formats or televisions, does not seem to be jumping up very quickly these days. Probably because at some point it becomes little tweaks and improvements rather than anything particularly new

mountaindewslave said:
teigaga said:

4k adoption is Inevitable and most premium TV sets in 2016 will be 4k. More people owned 4k TVs in America last year, then there were people who owned HD TVs in 2005. The adoption of media will be very slower (upscalling will be marketed as a solution), but the adoption of TV  is procedes the actual media.

you're off on that, a huge amount of the American population and population elsewhere aren't even familiar with what 4K is at this point. Bear in mind there is a massive amount of the general consumer popluation (this is everywhere) is still uses DVDs regularly and doesn't seem to really care about the upscaling of visuals (it is true that at some point the human eye just can't detect the differences that dramatically ), at this point DVD sales still out perform Bluray

I suppose my point is that immediate adoption of newer technology, whether media formats or televisions, does not seem to be jumping up very quickly these days. Probably because at some point it becomes little tweaks and improvements rather than anything particularly new

Whether people know what 4k is, they're buying them. 

"4K TV shipments reach all-time high of 3 million units moved in April alone" 2015.

http://4k.com/news/while-tv-shipments-fall-4-in-2015-4k-tv-sales-bucked-the-trend-and-continue-to-do-so-12971/

To be put that in context. HD TVs only sold 11.3m throughout the whole of 2005 in the US. 

http://www.statista.com/statistics/191250/sales-of-high-definition-tvs-in-the-us-since-2005/

I was suprised too but unless someone finds more reliable data, this is what we have. I know from personal experience 4k TVs are the dominant sets showcased in electronic stores here in the UK. They're also priced fairly.
Most TVs above 40'' are 4k here and this is the UKs biggest electronics store.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/301_3002_30002_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Yes, deal of the decade. Future proof like the Ps4.

It seems like anybody who has a 4K TV will be attracted to the new PS4.5/4K.
I mean, why else would they have paid a premium for the TV, if they aren't interested in 4K content which PS4K can provide?
Of course, if they already have a 4K BD player then no need on that end, but that's not universally the case. (many are upscalers too)

As people say, there isn't any real info on this yet, but for the mentioned reasons it makes alot of sense for Sony to push this.
And it would be rather embarassing for PS4K in the end to be unable to play 4KBD content, but just upscale.