By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4K the Hardware bargain of this Decade? 4K Blu Ray Player alone cost 400$

Goddbless said:
Ruler said:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-UBD-K8500-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B01A9V6OI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461159077&sr=8-1&keywords=4k bluray ultra hd player

so looking at true capable Ultra HD 4K Blu Ray players, they all cost over over 400$. Espacially Sonys own model they are charging it for 700 which a pretty Penny.

I think its funny how people dissmiss the suposed PS4K as a ripp off by Sony to make money, everyone knows that console hardware sales dont make profit its a break even deal in manufactering. I think this supposed Neo PS4 is the bargain of this decade in technology if it will be priced at 400$/€

You will get

- a true capable 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray Player

- a 4K streaming device

- a gaming machine which will be equal to a Gaming PC in specs, running AAA games probably at 1080p 60fps

How is no one interested in this?

There are a lot of people that still don't have 4K televisions. That's not going to be a big selling point for them. This could end up being like 3D blu ray players and tvs.

not the same thing at all.

tv makers are always bumping resolution of their tvs, even people that are not aware about resolution and stuff, they will end up buying those tvs weather they like or not because it will be a standard. its just a normal evolution of the things.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-UBD-K8500-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B01A9V6OI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461159077&sr=8-1&keywords=4k

Damn son, 2 dollars off? I'm sold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

ZahaDoom said:
4k content is doomed because of Internet greedy Internet providers and the ridiculous cost of data, at least in my Country.

Streaming 4k content is not really feasible or cost effective for about 99% of the population. And that's going forward another 5 years at least.

Unless data providers are going to have some sort of change of heart. This is a business so who are we kidding.

4k adoption is a dream, the public is not in a financial position, most 4k sets have been sold to people who had to upgrade and we're just future proofing themselves.

4k adoption is Inevitable and most premium TV sets in 2016 will be 4k. More people owned 4k TVs in America last year, then there were people who owned HD TVs in 2005. The adoption of media will be very slower (upscalling will be marketed as a solution), but the adoption of TV  is procedes the actual media.

Most people are fine with streaming even if it is only in 720p or something. Pretty much every TV is saw last week in an electronics store was already 4k so that it would make sense looking at the TVs people get in 2016 but I'm not sure if most even have an idea what this is about nor would they start to buy 4k Blu-Rays just because the TV they bought has 4k. 

The reason for why 4k Blu-Ray player are so expensive is probably that not many are interested in it. If it would be a product people would buy in masses because they like it so much, the price would be already much lower.

But not sure why you said "How is no one interested in this?" because the thread I read about the new PS4 was full of people commenting with "day one purchase" and stuff like that. You just can't expect that as many will say "I get this" as if a completely new console is announced. It's after all "only" a console which may play Blu-Ray in a higher resolution and games which come also on the PS4 which people already own just with better graphics or more fps.

It will sell, just not as good as if it would be a PS5 and that should be obvious. 

Normchacho said:
Well, the newest batch of information we've gotten doesn't actually say that it will play 4K blu ray discs.

It most likely will, but we don't have any hard evidence saying that it does.

Only the specs relevant for gamers leaked though. Considering PS4Neo must have the utmost compatibility with og PS4, games won't be able to use 66-100GB discs.

Sony doesn't have a UHD bluray player yet even though being big pushers of the medium, PS4Neo would be the perfect time to release one. It'd suck if it doesn't, my Playstations have been my media players since 2002.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Normchacho said:
Well, the newest batch of information we've gotten doesn't actually say that it will play 4K blu ray discs.

It most likely will, but we don't have any hard evidence saying that it does.

Only the specs relevant for gamers leaked though. Considering PS4Neo must have the utmost compatibility with og PS4, games won't be able to use 66-100GB discs.

Sony doesn't have a UHD bluray player yet even though being big pushers of the medium, PS4Neo would be the perfect time to release one. It'd suck if it doesn't, my Playstations have been my media players since 2002.

I agree that there's a good chance it will happen, and that it would be nice. But honestly I don't think it needs 4k blu ray support. It's still really early on and I imagine the PS5 is going launch in 2019 or 2020 anyways.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

how can anyone be interested in sth that doesnt even officially exists?

Hunting Season is done...

no, because it won't have a 4k bluray player

/end of topic

ZahaDoom said:
4k content is doomed because of Internet greedy Internet providers and the ridiculous cost of data, at least in my Country.

Streaming 4k content is not really feasible or cost effective for about 99% of the population. And that's going forward another 5 years at least.

Unless data providers are going to have some sort of change of heart. This is a business so who are we kidding.

4k adoption is a dream, the public is not in a financial position, most 4k sets have been sold to people who had to upgrade and we're just future proofing themselves.

thats why it plays 4K blu rays

kowenicki said:

So what you are saying is they are killing their own product line? Interesting.  "Hardware bargain of the decade"... Hyperbole.

Anyhow.  I stream 4k movies... so.... if it has that capability I'm not remotely interested thanks.

Digital is the future for the developed world, certainly in Europe and Japan where internet speeds allow. I would have thought people would have learned by now that buying the same movies over and over in different formats is a mugs game.

VHS to DVD to Blu Ray to 4k Blu ray. no thank you. 

Sony always did, with DVDs and Blu Rays. Didnt stopped their Players to be sold as well. People always want dedicated profassional devices, espacially since the PS4K or any gamign capable device which also can play 4K Blu Rays would be way too loud for a lot of people

Lets dont think ahead of our selfs, a lot of people and places in the first world arent ready at all for 4K streaming, i bet you are living in London thats why you think that way.

And  Movie ethnusiast will always who want to have a physical player or having a device capable of playing everything stream, digital and disc.